Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 2 - 2000 cc conversion
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Type 2 - 2000 cc conversion Reply with quote

I'm a newbie to the site...very excited! Very Happy

Considering buying a 2000 cc motor for my 74 westy. Its a GD vin. # from a 1977 donor. Don't believe it was fuel injected. Will it work with the transmission thats in place? Any issues that I should be aware of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

a.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're assuming you already have and have Read the '74 bus Bentley Manual! Wink You'd need a '77 bus Bentley Manual also if you were running a '77 engine. www.books4cars.com has them All new & used.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And all GD engines sold in this country were origianlly FI.

What do have from the 74 engine that you propose to use (dual carbs?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Sadly, no...the 74 has a single webber. The guy I bought the bus from was a butcher of the highest order!!! That is part of the reason I'm looking into switcing to a 2000 cc. I would probably have to buy duals for the motor. What do you recommend? Worth the effort? Walk away?
dunebuggy888
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will fit right in, I would get it running with a carb but would get the fuel injection parts and put it back in, are you buying a parts bus or just the engine and is it a good price
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close, it'll fit if you use the flywheel off the 1800 and rig up some sort of fuel pump.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 2 - 2000 cc conversion Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
I'm a newbie to the site...very excited! Very Happy

Considering buying a 2000 cc motor for my 74 westy. Its a GD vin. # from a 1977 donor. Don't believe it was fuel injected. Will it work with the transmission thats in place? Any issues that I should be aware of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

a.

Unless you see it run and can test oil pressure and compression assume it is a core motor only.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input!

Upon reflection, I don't think I want to go down the 2000cc path. I'm still waffling!!! I'm probably better off sticking with an 1800cc. Doesn't seem like I gain enough to warrant all the additonal challenges. Too many unknown variables for me to feel comfortable. Just thought if I could get a "good deal" on the motor, it might be worth jumping on it.

I was approaching this as a "CORE" project, that would ultimately be rebuilt from the ground up. I certainly had no intention of putting the engine in the vehicle without going through it first.

Just out of curiosity...is fuel economy the only advantage with FI vs. carbs? Seems like there are some pretty strong opinions about this - what gives?

Thanks again!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
Just out of curiosity...is fuel economy the only advantage with FI vs. carbs?

Efficiency is a big part of FI, but it also automatically adapts to almost any climate and season, and once you get your head around it it's easier to diagnose and tune than carbs.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
white74westy wrote:
Just out of curiosity...is fuel economy the only advantage with FI vs. carbs?

Efficiency is a big part of FI, but it also automatically adapts to almost any climate and season, and once you get your head around it it's easier to diagnose and tune than carbs.

Is it easy to track down parts/systems? How do they equate to the cost of carbs?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the components are available in the classifieds, a complete system is around $200 or less, add $100 for an injector service and some new seals. Aftermarket duals (good ones) will run $1000 by the time you get them installed and tuned for your engine, stock VW Solex duals can usually be found cheap, $200 - $300 for a rebush/rebuild on those is money well spent, they really do work nice.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: