Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show your fog light setup
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
blake28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Show your fog light setup Reply with quote

After searching for fog lights a few times I realized there aren't many threads on the subject.

If you care to share....
-brand, purchase place, price
-how you mounted them, where you got your power, switch location
-pictures?

Here are a few pics of some nice looking setups I found on google.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider those driving lights. Fog lights mount as low as possible to minimize the light hitting the fog and reflecting back to blind the driver. The problem with mounting fog lights is that they will see damage in everyday driving- ever notice how many bimmer fogs are broken?
This does come up from time to time- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453654&highlight=fog+light
blake28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I would consider those driving lights. Fog lights mount as low as possible to minimize the light hitting the fog and reflecting back to blind the driver. The problem with mounting fog lights is that they will see damage in everyday driving- ever notice how many bimmer fogs are broken?
This does come up from time to time- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453654&highlight=fog+light

Considering how high the headlights are on these vans having lights mounted on top of the bumper would still help out a lot in the fog.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive in the coastal marine environment(FOG) and have driving lights mounted on top of the bumper- they don't help much.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy

If you want look at my set up, 2 fogs front (100W each), 2 back (55W each) here are the links

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/397298.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/397299.jpg

They are wired as:
Spot and driving lights: ON with parking lights/OFF/ON with high beams
Fog front and back : ON with low beams/OFF with high beams. The rear fog also can be ON with brake lights only or OFF

I don't post the images as they were posted several times already and there is always a donk to make, of course, an asinine comment. Rolling Eyes

On this subject of fog lights there seem to be major confusion/ignorance by amateurs who call any auxiliary light a fog light.

My perception was:

*Fog lights : fluted/patterned lens/glass spreading the light laterally, usually preventing to see the bulb

Driving lights : "patterned" lens/glass giving a somewhat light beam reaching much further and focused forward in the manner of high beams

Spot lights : a narrow far reaching beam

*Sometimes also known/used as cornering lights I believe

Doing a search on the Net or EBay for example if you use fog lights as keywords you'll get everything BUT fog lights or just a few.

Am I wrong ?

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Show your fog light setup Reply with quote

Mine (2nd owner installed them):

...but they're more driving lights than fog lights. Did use them in the fog up at Sequoia a couple weeks ago... let's just say they did work (80W headlights really sucked in the fog!), but not as good the genuine fog lights (yellow lenses) that came on my Cabriolet when I bought it.

-brand, purchase place, price
Don't know, in northern California, don't know.

-how you mounted them, where you got your power, switch location
On top of bumper; grounded on chassis, power from fuse panel up to genuine VW fog switch mounted above hazard switch.

Breakage: The lights have been on the van since around 2003 and are still in great shape.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Sun May 08, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For breakage worries on lights/fogs, PM me as I deal in 3M light and paint protection. I also keep my covers on when there's no chance of needing my aux lights.

Also, many folks in the US consider any auxiliary light hung on their vehicle a "fog light". An ordinary light in fog (not a correct, quality fog beam pattern) won't help a bit. Unfortunately, cheap lights sold in the US also are commonly labeled right on the box as a "fog lamp" when they essentially have an unshaped random beam pattern so consumers are also mislead even with good shopping intentions. But a true fog lamp is great in fog, blowing snow and a variety of poor visibility conditions. Lower is better, but the standard of height is measured from the driver's eye level. With the Vanagon driver being up so high, even a lamp atop the bumper would easily meet this proper vertical drop from the eye down to the lamp's center.

Again, the beam pattern makes all the difference. Amber lamps help only a small amount and only in certain conditions. The higher overall light output of a white fog lamp beam helps more in more conditions and is why you rarely see amber/yellow any more except for styling purposes - a wretched reason to design a piece of working gear like a vehicle lamp.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Show your fog light setup Reply with quote

On my rigs ('87 and later) I still use the stock headlights so I've added the projektzwo fog lights (excellent) and inner bumper mounted driving lights. The driving lights are carefully aimed and so far I haven't had an knowing complaints from passing drivers (flashing lights), but I only use them on road trips when it really gets black out there.

Most of the time I'll use the fogs for night driving since they also don't seem to be blinding others and they laterally light up the road lines very well. The driving lights supplement the weak stock headlights when necessary and are are smaller than what most put on in those pics, but together with the headlights they seem to offer what one should really have out there for visability short of installing the SA grill and round lamps with higher watt bulbs.

Both the fogs and driving lights are on separate circuits. If the headlights (or switch) ever goes out I can get by with the driving and fogs.

Most of those larger driving lights like the large round Hellas I see in the pics are technically illegal for street use in many States and can be quite blinding to other drivers. In fact many States ban auxillary driving lights all together although it's not often enforced unless an obvious nuisance.

A friend's brother was driving his vanagon down the Oregon coast highway at night about 6 months ago and was pulled over and given a warning regarding his driving lights. So far I haven't had any po-leece problems.
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may wish to refer to samba post "Putiing on the Hellas". I like mine and they help a lot.
Cheers, Jeffery

( Westfalia Camping videos at YouTube link below)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the typical Hella 500's on mine in the typical mounting position with power via a factory fog light switch.
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
vanaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: fogs big old bosch h3s Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THOSE are lights!! Heh - Have a pair of Hella Rallye 3000s on the workbench for the Vanagon.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some Cibies from JDM Pajero. Mounting and wiring info here
http://shufti.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/fogaux-lights-installed/

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
blake28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
Howdy

If you want look at my set up, 2 fogs front (100W each), 2 back (55W each) here are the links

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/397298.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/397299.jpg

The yellow w/ chrome surrounds. What brand are those? They would look great on a chrome bumper van
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
and have driving lights mounted on top of the bumper- they don't help much.

Are they driving lights or fog lights? Dad's fogs on top of the bumper seem to help significantly in nasty weather, keeping the light nice and low. If they are driving lights though they will blind you. Just wondering if you mis-typed.

I was looking at putting fogs on but decided I just didn't need them in CO. Now some nice pencil driving lights would be nice… And the van is already wired for them!

Paul
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful with pencil beam patterns. On a high center of gravity vehicle like an SUV or Van the constant bouncing of a tight small circle of light diminishes its usefulness. This pattern on a road vehicle would be the lowest in functional usefulness. It will put hot spots on signs with a lot of light blowback, deteriorating your night vision and then you'll be constantly dimming for oncoming motorists. When you do THAT, you won't be able to see well for a bit.

So consider a eurobeam pattern for a useful almost as long distance illumination strategy.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of Scirocco amber high beams (similar part #) and replaced my square high beams; then I wired them so I can turn them on as high beams or seperately.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...EBDIX%3AIT

~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another set for sale:

[url]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Scirocco-2-Mk2-Y...4026[/url]

~ Captain Ron ~
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: