Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Thing Exhaust
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vgajames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Empi Thing Exhaust Reply with quote

Anybody run one of these Empi exhaust? Wondering if it sounds good and would be good on a motor with like 1776 dual carbs.
Or other suggestions for less restrictive thing exhaust.
Will be for a 74 with heater box's...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tri-mil version of that exhaust on my 1600. Overall, it is an excellent system. It is a little on the loud side, but gives a distinctive throaty sound rather than being tinny and obnoxious. Picture a quieter big block with the smoother VW noise added.

It shouldn't choke out your 1776 unless you have a particularly aggressive cam and valve train.

I've never looked at the Empi version of this exhaust, so I can't tell you what to expect quality wise. You may or may not run into fit issues. I will say the Tri-mil goes on perfectly and is quite well built.

And.. Unless you go with ceramic coating, you will need to get rid of the shipping paint. It will sand off very easily. I'd recommend either VHT "Flame Proof" header paint or peanut oil (it actually works very well).
vgajames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow73kubel wrote:
I have the Tri-mil version of that exhaust on my 1600. Overall, it is an excellent system. It is a little on the loud side, but gives a distinctive throaty sound rather than being tinny and obnoxious. Picture a quieter big block with the smoother VW noise added.

It shouldn't choke out your 1776 unless you have a particularly aggressive cam and valve train.

I've never looked at the Empi version of this exhaust, so I can't tell you what to expect quality wise. You may or may not run into fit issues. I will say the Tri-mil goes on perfectly and is quite well built.

And.. Unless you go with ceramic coating, you will need to get rid of the shipping paint. It will sand off very easily. I'd recommend either VHT "Flame Proof" header paint or peanut oil (it actually works very well).

Are Tri Mil made still available?
dreadnotmusic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Empi version. Sounds really throaty, even on my 1600 single port. The paint is crap though, for real.
vgajames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadnotmusic wrote:
I have the Empi version. Sounds really throaty, even on my 1600 single port. The paint is crap though, for real.

So the ceramic version would probably be a go?
Seems like for thing performance exhaust its these are $400 or more
for others on market...
dreadnotmusic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vgajames wrote:
dreadnotmusic wrote:

So the ceramic version would probably be a go?
Seems like for thing performance exhaust its these are $400 or more
for others on market...

Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on the ceramic, nor would I trust Empi to do the coating any justice. Just order the black one and strip/paint it before install. Than you know it's gonna last.
dells68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a used EMPI ceramic version. It fit quite well. I haven't had a chance to start it yet, so I don't know about the sound. The coating is starting to show a few thin spots of the bottom side, but for the price I think it's great - if you're on a budget like me Smile

Dell
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased the Empi version(on a budget too), and I went for the Ceramic coating. I have reservations on Empis quality of ceramic, but I figure it'll last long enough to make it worth the extra cost($60 additional). I can always get it recoated locally if it begins to wear/fail. I had my Heat boxes ceramic coated locally, in a cast grey tone.

Fit is good on the Empi system, and the ceramic finish seems applied decently. I haven't installed it yet, as the body is in for metal work/paint, but i'll have it in and going in about 2 wks.
Hope this helps!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Lettuce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next exhaust is going to arrive bare metal, I will season it with peanut oil.

I considered the the empi exhaust, but settled on the CB hideaway. I wasn't thrilled about the poor scavenging with the empi system, but I dont think ti would have been an issue Rolling Eyes
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the trimil version. yeah, throaty. i got the painted version. paint was gone first day. im gonna sand it and season it with peanut oil also. i like that it is compact and fits the bumper holes.
vgajames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
I recently purchased the Empi version(on a budget too), and I went for the Ceramic coating. I have reservations on Empis quality of ceramic, but I figure it'll last long enough to make it worth the extra cost($60 additional). I can always get it recoated locally if it begins to wear/fail. I had my Heat boxes ceramic coated locally, in a cast grey tone.

Fit is good on the Empi system, and the ceramic finish seems applied decently. I haven't installed it yet, as the body is in for metal work/paint, but i'll have it in and going in about 2 wks.
Hope this helps!

Nice looking motor....exhaust looks good on it. Wink
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:

I would suggest mounting the coil the other way. it's it's oil filled the terminals should be at the bottom.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I would suggest mounting the coil the other way. it's it's oil filled the terminals should be at the bottom.

I'd like to know the reasoning for this? What's the purpose of the oil? Just curious!
I trust your knowledge, so I'll flip it around, thanks for your tip!

Oh, and Thank you VGAJAMES! It's a few months of working on it, when I could. It's sitting quietly under a sheet in the corner, waiting to be reunited with the rest of Our Thing!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some paint stripper from Home Depot that literally took the paint off as I brushed it on my TriMil Thing exhaust. I used VHT exhaust paint, which stays on. I really like this system.
Lettuce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Usually if it is oil filled the terminals should be at the top. According to the MSD webpage, the oil filled blaster Blaster 2 :

"Do not mount this coil horizontally or upside down. The oil will not sufficiently cover the windings for cooling purposes and the coil may overheat."

Epoxy filled coils like the stock one and "good" blue coils can be upside down or whichever other way.
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am too looking at TRi-Mil ceramic coated. Is it possible to polish ceramic coated exhaust systems to a glossy lustre without taking the coating off?
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I'd like to know the reasoning for this? What's the purpose of the oil? Just curious!
I trust your knowledge, so I'll flip it around, thanks for your tip!

Oh, and Thank you VGAJAMES! It's a few months of working on it, when I could. It's sitting quietly under a sheet in the corner, waiting to be reunited with the rest of Our Thing!

Every AC VW I ever had the coil was mounted with the terminals at the bottom.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Thing Exhaust Reply with quote

vgajames wrote:
Anybody run one of these Empi exhaust? Wondering if it sounds good and would be good on a motor with like 1776 dual carbs.
Or other suggestions for less restrictive thing exhaust.
Will be for a 74 with heater box's...

I have had a couple of EMPI exhausts and in my opinion their products are garbage. You are looking at a year at best of normal use before the exhaust begins to fail - rust out, split seams, etc.

In the long run a good quality system will be cheaper and you won't have the aggravation of a re-install. There is a reason why the Empi product is much less expensive.
Sidecar Sarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question:

In the posts above, the word "throaty" is used to speak of the Empi's exhaust sound. Throaty-schmoaty. The dammed thing is LOUD and I don't like it. Barring going back to the stock exhaust system, is there anything that can be done to tone the Empi system down? I was wondering about stuffing stock exhaust tips in the two outlets. Thoughts?

Tom
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the ceramic coated empi exhaust to replace a bug pea-shooter exhaust the prior owner put on the car. Installation was straightforward and everything fit up perfectly on my 73. Only glitch was the once I saw how nice the ceramic looked, I HAD to spring for ceramic J tubes, another $50, instead of leaving the original mild steel J's in there. It looks pretty nice on the car as well. I haven't had it on very long, so I can't speak for longevity.

The Empi exhaust is significantly louder than the pea-shooter bug exhaust. It's not cherry-bomb loud, but it's a louder "rumble". I wouldn't call it "throaty".

When I replace the exhaust on my 74, I will probably look for another option, as I find the noise produced by the exhaust system too loud for my taste. Younger owners coming from hopped up Hondas and Acuras would probably disagree with me, but I'm a crotchy old guy who has enough difficulty hearing that a loud exhaust doesn't help.

Craig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: