Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new bus motor
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: My new bus motor Reply with quote

Hey guys I am planning the rebuild of my 77 westy motor and am looking for some feedback. The idea is to have a Raby CS cam with less expensive heads. I wish I could afford The Raby CS heads, but I'm afraid not...

So starting with a stock 1977 2.0 EFI:

- stock intake/EFI
- CB Performance 044 MAGNUM PLUS heads with 42 x 37.5mm valves
- RAT 9550 cam super kit with the HD springs and rocker shaft etc. -- I would take the dual springs off the CB head and replace with the Raby HD spring...
- Solid Cro-mo push rods (no more hydraulic -- Jake's kit does away with this)
- Mahle piston cylinder stock replacement
- get the crank reground by Rimco, or pick up one of their stock VW
- Any case work would be done by Rimco
- Exhaust -- not sure yet. I want quiet
- everything else I am hoping to reuse/keep stock

Any thoughts or suggestions? Does this sound reasonable? I don't want to cut corners, but I am on a bit of a budget. The main question is whether the head/cam combo will be ok.

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MJulien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moly push rods may make the valve train noisier.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: My new bus motor Reply with quote

gatorjos wrote:
CB Performance 044 MAGNUM PLUS heads with 42 x 37.5mm valves

Type I heads on a Type IV engine? Confused
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: My new bus motor Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
gatorjos wrote:
CB Performance 044 MAGNUM PLUS heads with 42 x 37.5mm valves

Type I heads on a Type IV engine? Confused

Was gonna call CB on that this morning -- never worked on a Type IV before. I assume from your scrunched face emoticon, that's a no-go? Embarassed

Is there an affordable big valve head out there for the Type IV? I don't think it's worth getting the RAT cam unless the valves are bigger right?

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: My new bus motor Reply with quote

gatorjos wrote:
Is there an affordable big valve head out there for the Type IV?

Not unless you can find a usable 2.0 head, good luck with that.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The idea is to have a Raby CS cam with less expensive heads. I wish I could afford The Raby CS heads, but I'm afraid not...

The only way to achieve results that are indicative of the CS, is to spend the required money to purchase genuine CS components.

Its all in the combo, that combo has taken 14 years to develop and nothing about it will ever be cheap. Lots of people have tried to copy the CS, most have ended up with results that are less than favorable, with some of them making LESS power over a narrower power band than a bone stock 2.0 engine.

The only way to come close is to buy CS heads, run my 9550 cam package and set the CR at 8:1, but even then its not a thoroughbred CS.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. I may have to scale back and just do a stock rebuild. I still need to pull the motor to see what I actually have to work with. Pretty sure the heads are toast though...

Previous romances:

craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Is there an affordable big valve head out there for the Type IV?)

No.
You will find out their is nothing affordable when it comes to the type 4 engine.
Believe me, i have tried. It's too bad, because i think a lot more people would try the type 4 platform. And their is no reason why type 4 parts should be more expensive compared to a type 1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your options are limited because you live in an area with a biennial smog check requirement and your bus is not smog exempt (1975 and earlier). Thus, you have to go with something that will work w/ your stock fuel injection and catalytic converter.
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
Your options are limited because you live in an area with a biennial smog check requirement and your bus is not smog exempt (1975 and earlier). Thus, you have to go with something that will work w/ your stock fuel injection and catalytic converter.

Actually I'm going to be registering this beauty in Florida, so I can pollute to free will. The muffler is only half attached, so I was thinking about pulling the whole catalytic contraption and putting an aftermarket deal on regardless whether I go stock or Raby. That might get me a little performance yeah?

Previous romances:

Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to conform to smog requirements, the CS is out for you.. Its not legal, even if the engine passes the sniff tests and visual inspection.

BTW- Everyone has a different definition of "affordable". Look beyond the initial cost of admission and you'll be ale to see the value per mile. People that only look at initial costs are generally the same people that go buy a car or a house and say "How much will it cost me per month"? They look right past how much it'll end up costing them over the years they have to pay for it.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: