Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4 long hours to get my 74 through emissions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stapler123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: 4 long hours to get my 74 through emissions Reply with quote

Yesterday I went through emisions 3 times. Did one tune up myself, and then the 2nd time I failed I took it to chirco and they took care of me.

Anyway I felt like a shmuck "idleing" at 3500 rpm with the car retarded so much it could still barely run. Whenever I switched it off it would give a loud "POP". The guy asked me to take my foot of the gas, and I told him "this is just how it likes to run" and showed him my foot was on the floorboard. This has me serriously considering going back to a stock 1600. Now im legal though so I guess thats ok.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the few reasons I am glad I live in Ohio. I really wish we would at least do a cursory safety check. There are so many cars running around here with missing brake lights, bald tires, etc. We only smog check in big counties and for cars less than 25 years old.
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear the Southwest is cracking down- I have to deal w/ all that crap here in CT, but when I was living in NM in '96 and had to register a '78 Bus, all they needed to see was the registration and $15, then they gave me my plates. They didn't even need to see the bus! It costs close to $200 to register a car here, not to mention the hours wasted at the DMV, emissions & safety inspection, etc...
jerrything
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did Arizona start smogging old cars?
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what part of the state you live. In the county I am in there are no smog tests on any vehicles.
You going to buftoberfest stapler? Please Pm me if you are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In New York, vehicles 26 years and older are exempt from emissions testing.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 73 Thing is (fortunately) smog-exempt here in California. Just barely made it though, since we have a 30-year cutoff.

I'll tell you, though, registration and inspection here couldn't be any easier. When I brought this car into CA for the first time, the inspection was actually done at home in my own garage! Local police are required to offer free inspections around here, and you can call them any hour of the day (or night) to come over and do it. It only takes about 5 mins too.

You can also make an appointment in advance at DMV, so you can just show up, bypass all the lines, check in, and take care of your business without waiting.

Of course, we pay a lot in car-related taxes and fees, but IMHO it's a fair trade for a somewhat civilized DMV. Definitely way ahead of CT and NY, where I used to live.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
In New York, vehicles 26 years and older are exempt from emissions testing.

Lucky you. Here in Vancouver if you drive it daily all cars have to be tested. I heard of one guy with a Model T who was kinda pissed he had to go through. I talked to a guy with a 47 Ford Sedan last year that went through. They didn't know how to drive his car so he did it for them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: