Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PopTop screen replacement
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redcanoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: PopTop screen replacement Reply with quote

A year ago I cut out the old poptop screen and installed a homemade replacement. I used the Fanchers (sp?) method of glueing fabric to fabric using a product called SpeedSew. Worked well. Now, however, the the glue interface seems to have given up and lost it's bond. So now I'm back to thinking about hand sewing the darn thing. Does anybody know if auto upholstery shops have sewing machines that could sew the thing in place without removing the canvas? I tried a tent and awning shop and they said they had nothing that would work (surprising)
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have tough fingers (or a thimble) you can buy "U"shaped needles from you local sewing shop and could probably do a decent job yourself. My buddy is needing to replace his screen and that's what I suggested to him. I think between the U-needles and maybe some type of glue-seelant and a couple hours that a DIYer could do a good job.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my screen also using Franchers instructions. The glue that I used was Liquid Stitch
and It has held up quite nicely. When you put in your screen did the new one that you made
have a border sewn around it like Franchers kit? If not you may need that extra not-so-pourous
material such as a screen would be. For the glue to bond to the new screen and tent.

The U shaped needle is a great suggestion but you may not have to sew it completely around.
Maybe in key location, ie corners, top center?

Good luck!
Tim
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
MJohansen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Two-Person Job Reply with quote

I agree w/ having the sturdier border, which should allow you get better purchase with the thread.

But how about making this into a 2-person job. One outside, one inside? It might be slow going, but at least you could use a straight needle.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Two-Person Job Reply with quote

MJohansen wrote:
I agree w/ having the sturdier border, which should allow you get better purchase with the thread.

But how about making this into a 2-person job. One outside, one inside? It might be slow going, but at least you could use a straight needle.

With the screen unzipped you could do it by yourself and with a straight needle I guess?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
redcanoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

Yes I did sew a border around the screen before doing the glueing. I can't remember exactly what the material was, but certainly not pure cotton. Probably has something to do with the poor bond.

I see you used office clips to hold during glueing. Good idea. I pinned the whole thing.

I'm considering using a series of small snaps which may facilitate future replacement more easily.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: PopTop screen replacement Reply with quote

Just replaced the screen today - well actually over the past 3 days!

I did it a little differently than anyone I've read about. Here's the technique, sorry no photos I was too busy doing to take pics.

L and R mean while standing in the van facing forward.

1. Unpick the tacking right angle stitching that holds the lower left and right corners of the inner cover to the canvas. This lets the inner cover fold down right to the bottom, and gains access to the zipper ends,
2. Snip the screen zipper at the left end, as close as possible to the bottom,
3. On the right hand end, with a fine marker, mark a line across the zipper teeth a short way above where the zipper slide stops.
4. Unpick the metal clip closing the right hand zipper end with a very sharp pointed tool. Just don't slip!
5. Snip the inner side of the right zipper close to the bottom, BUT
6. Snip the outer side of the right zipper about half an inch up from the bottom. This will make refitting the slide easier later.
7. Slide the zipper all the way to the right and remove it from the teeth.
8. With a seam ripper, or careful use of small scissors, cut the bottom of the screen right at the bottom, against the canvas seam.

The screen complete with half of the zipper should come out now.

To prepare the new screen:
1. With a sewing machine and good upholstery thread, sew a bias binding along what will be the bottom edge of the screen. If possible use the selvedge of the screen on this edge.
2. Lay the old screen on a table, just the way it came out of the van, ie, L-L and R-R sides,
3. Lay the new screen over the old one and remove any wrinkles,
4. Pull the new screen with binding one half inch lower than the cut edge of the old screen,
5. Hold the new screen down and trim it at least 1 inch larger around the upper 3 sides than the complete old screen, ie, 1 inch outside the zipper.
6. With bulldog clips, clip the old and new screens together at as many places as possible around the upper 3 sides. Check for wrinkles on both screens.
7. Starting about 1 to 1 1/2 inches up from the bottom edge at the right hand end, with a sewing machine stitch the new screen to the zipper fabric, 1/16" to 1/8" from the zipper teeth. Remove the bulldog clips as you progress. Stitch length of 6 to the inch, or 4-5 mm, is sufficient.
8. Fold the excess screen inward over this stitching line and press it with fingers or clip it in place.
9. Again stitch over the new screen, this time about 1/8" from the original stitch line. This will strengthen the seam, and leave the raw edge of the screen away from the zipper teeth, preventing jamming.
10. With seam ripper or small scissors, trim the raw edge of the screen close to this last line of stitching. Do not cut too close to the stitching or the screen may fray and pull out.

So far so good.

To refit the screen:
1. Place the screen into the opening on the pop top - holding it with help or clips or pins in a few places.
2. Slide the zipper slide onto the inner leg of the right hand zipper, then feed the shorter outer side of the zipper into the slide to engage the teeth.
3. Slide the zipper slide above the mark made earlier to ensure that the teeth engage at the correct level. If not, repeat step 2.
4. Refit the metal clip earlier and squeeze the prongs closed with pliers. (This step is not completely necessary as the zipper slide will be stopped by the tack stitching removed in the very first step.)
5. Close the screen zipper all the way to the left. The screen should fit perfectly, with a half inch hanging below the opening.

Now the hard part.

To stitch the screen bottom:
1. Ensure that the binding strip extends down onto, ie over, the bottom seam on the outside of the canvas top. With clips or pins, adjust and hold the binding edge evenly and level to the canvas seam,
2. With a fine, sharp, sturdy needle with a small eye, hand stitch with upholstery thread, the binding edge of the screen onto the seam of the poptop canvas. Because the binding edge of the screen is outside the canvas, but the zipper is inside, leave unstitched about 1 inch at each end of the screen. This will get tucked inside later.

Stitches of about 1/4" or 6 mm would match the original stitching, but trying to stitch through the original stitch points would be very difficult. Halfway between the two rows of stitching works well. Sewing through so many layers of canvas, old and new screen and binding will be hard work. Thimble and pliers will help push and pull the needle through.
3. For strongest results, sew two rows, one L to R, the second R-L so the result is a continuous line of thread showing inside the van.
4. Fold the corners of the screen with binding at an angle and tuck them inside the pop top canvas. The next step will close the corners and hold them in.

Restitch the corner tacks:
With the screen bottom fully stitched in, zip it closed and pull the corners of the inner flap into original position pin or hold in place. Be sure that both the screen zipper and the inner cover zipper slides are above this stitching line! Stitch through the holes that had been left by unpicking in the very first step.

I'm very pleased with the result. The first steps took only about 1 hour, but the hand stitching took about 5 hours! I did not want to use glue, and at least I didn't have to hand stitch all the way around the screen!

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: PopTop screen replacement Reply with quote

Sounds like a well done job. I just did this job too, but used the glue following the sparse but adequate instructions. Really happy with the result. Nice new screen and didn't have to replace the nice factory tent.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: PopTop screen replacement Reply with quote

I would hse the glue to get everything properly placed and then hand stitch it.

I'm not much of a believer in adhesives being the solution to every fastening problem.

I've seen a LOT of failed adhesives during my lifetime.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: