Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running down AC problem
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Running down AC problem Reply with quote

OK my 91 Carat's (2.1) AC quite working today, great right before summer. I checked to see if it was charged and it was. I have searched for about an hour and can't find a thread on tracking down AC issues. The Compressor is two years old and converted to R-134. Fan still comes on when you turn on the ac. Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

It was blowing cold one minute and the next it just started getting hot in the van.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
letherer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the "jump fuses" in your back closet. I had that problem. Take out a few screws to get to em. Good Luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm a little lost here "back closet" are you referring to where the blower motor is in the back of the van? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn The AC on & see if the compressor is running.
If not, it could be a blow fuse back behind the plastic panel on the D pillar, it could be the unit ran low on product and the low pressure switch shut it down, could be a bunch of things--

Your going to be doing some Shelock Holmes AC system investigating here.
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I turn on the ac the compressor "clicks" on. I get the disrupted idle and the radiator fan comes on.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the compressor is"Clicking" good sign you have a load of freon.

Is the hose to the evaporator cabinet cold?

Could be a plugged up expansion valve, could be a low freon charge, could be all kinds of things.

Get trhe maifold & gauges on the hoses & see what you have for pressures.

Your going to have to do some sniffing here and run down where the cold stops in the system.
letherer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, you don't have a westy. On my westy, the power for the a/c runs from the alternator to a fuse and then to compressor. Follow your power line from alt. to find fuse. But if you are getting a click sound from your compressor, prob. not fuse. good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out the ac clutch relay is not getting power. There are no schematics for the electrical system for the ac in the Bentley does any one out there in thesamba land have ac power schematics
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Bentley pages 97.142 - .145

Mark

hippiepilot wrote:
I figured out the ac clutch relay is not getting power. There are no schematics for the electrical system for the ac in the Bentley does any one out there in thesamba land have ac power schematics
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I always forget to go to the back of the book. One of these days I will learn how to use that book correctly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: