Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual 28PICTs/ Ampco oiler
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Dual 28PICTs/ Ampco oiler Reply with quote

Hi guys, I am building a 40hp engine for my single cab with dual 28's. I want to install an Ampco/Marvel style top end oil setup. I'm running an 009 distributor until I get an 010. My intakes and linkage setup is all homeade to clear the low engine compartment of the pickups.

My question is: can I use the vacuum advance ports on the carbs for the oiler setup instead of the adapter plates that sit underneath them? Or does the oil need to be drawn into the intakes under the throttle plates?

I'm trying to keep the carbs as low as possible and I'd like the oiler to keep my heads happy whille hauling and towing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to do the same thing on my 1776dp in my bus....dual carbs. I've been emailing the Ampco guy, and he says that it's extremely critical that the oiler is placed equally between the carbs to ensure the same amount is being drawn into each carb (makes sense). I'm going to use the vacuum ports on the base of my intakes. I don't think it would really matter where the vacuum comes from (underneath carbs or intakes) as long as you are drawing equal amounts of pressure from each.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking, but if anyone else knows different, please post your experience. Thanks
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
That's what I was thinking, but if anyone else knows different, please post your experience. Thanks

from what i understand after talking with George who sells the Ampco's the reason you should use the plate is the oil comes out through the supplied nozzle as a mist for better distribution, for my 64' bug i had a 1385cc built, Ed Fall rebushed and restored a pair of 28 pict's and i just located a pair of Rethwish manifolds (repros) here in the classifieds for 150 bucks and the seller has one more pair.
I fabbed all my linkage, and its almost done, tins are out getting powder coated grey hammer-tone.
im running a Ampco, a Fram canister and a Okrasa cooler. 36HP doghouse shroud with fresh air, I bought a Monaro dual SU carb set complete a few months back, and was going to put it on this car, but decided to use it on another project more than likely an Oval since i came across the manifolds last week.
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was thinking the oil nozzle was located at the oil jar itself. If it's at the adapter plates, I'll just have to add the oil to my gas. Not as cool and convenient, but I really just need the functionality.
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
Ok, I was thinking the oil nozzle was located at the oil jar itself. If it's at the adapter plates, I'll just have to add the oil to my gas. Not as cool and convenient, but I really just need the functionality.

the flow nozzle is at the canister, but the jet with the pin hole that goes into the plate is what i was referring to and thats where it gets its mist as it were
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
If it's at the adapter plates, I'll just have to add the oil to my gas. Not as cool and convenient, but I really just need the functionality.

If you've not already found it Marvel Oil has its own forum: http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/forums/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John, I forgot about that site i stumbled on it once but never saved it, thanks agin for the heads up!!
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said! Thank's John...I saw it one night, then had a hard time finding it again. I need to start buying this stuff by the drum! Laughing

Scott
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: