Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear axle questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: rear axle questions Reply with quote

I'm asking a couple of questions for a buddy of mine that isn't comfortable enough with the internet yet to post these questions.

He has a '64 Bug and has had some transmission problems. He just bought another used trans out of a '62. He is ready to slide it in but he's got two things going on. And here are the questions:

1) With the rear drums off, should there be any back and forth play when you grab the end of the axle? When he grabs the end splines of the axle, there is roughly about 1/8" of back and forth play (the axle moves in and out from the trans). It does it on both sides and it is the exact same from side to side.

2) When the drum is on, there is about 1/8" gap between the washer that goes behind the 36mm nut (axle nut) and the brake drum. Is this normal? Should there be a spacer or an additional washer? Why the gap?

I can provide answers to any questions or be more clear on something if I wasn't clear enough. I'm just trying to help my bro get his baby on the road. Any help is appreciated.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: rear axle questions Reply with quote

silvertonguedevil wrote:
I'm asking a couple of questions for a buddy of mine that isn't comfortable enough with the internet yet to post these questions.

He has a '64 Bug and has had some transmission problems. He just bought another used trans out of a '62. He is ready to slide it in but he's got two things going on. And here are the questions:

1) With the rear drums off, should there be any back and forth play when you grab the end of the axle? When he grabs the end splines of the axle, there is roughly about 1/8" of back and forth play (the axle moves in and out from the trans). It does it on both sides and it is the exact same from side to side.

2) When the drum is on, there is about 1/8" gap between the washer that goes behind the 36mm nut (axle nut) and the brake drum. Is this normal? Should there be a spacer or an additional washer? Why the gap?

I can provide answers to any questions or be more clear on something if I wasn't clear enough. I'm just trying to help my bro get his baby on the road. Any help is appreciated.

1. Yes, gap is normal with drum off.
2. No washer is to be used between drum and big nut. You have a problem if you have play with drum on and no washer.
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you maybe transposed answers to my questions.....???

I'm not clear on what you're saying.
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: rear axle questions Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
silvertonguedevil wrote:

1. Yes, gap is normal with drum off.
2. No washer is to be used between drum and big nut. You have a problem if you have play with drum on and no washer.

The play isn't when the drum is on, only when it is off. The play is back and forth in the axle.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question, yes you may feel play with the drum removed. The tightened drum is what locates and secures the axle in the outer bearing. The outer bearing is what holds the axle in place, as long as there is no play with the drum tight, it is okay.
Second question, not sure what you mean by "washer". There should be no washers on the outside of the drum. If there is, it has been added to compensate for some other defect or parts mis-match.
A picture would help to clarify what is going on.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are missing something. Do you have the small spacer that slides over the axle and into the bearing seal? It is about 1/2 inch long and has a taper on one inside edge.
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called him and he said that it looks like there is not a spacer on that side. He is going to take some pictures for me and I'll post them here. I think that may be it though. Stay tuned....
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvertonguedevil wrote:
I think you maybe transposed answers to my questions.....???

I'm not clear on what you're saying.

he is saying a washer is not used between the drum and the nut. he is also saying in n out is normal for axle movement(1/8") when drum is off. still confused??

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm clear! Thanks.

I can't seem to get the pics. But it sounds like you guys figured it out. It's missing the spacer. Thank you soo much!
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts list and order, courtesy of The Other Andy...

early...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the later style with the slinger in the cap...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: