Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

uh oh... clutch in backwards?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got future failure waiting to happen. Look at the kink. You want to have straight smoothe transitions at both ends of the bowden tube. Also loosen the 2 nuts holding the bracket to the trans and see if it will turn a bit to a better position. On an early trans there is a fair amount of slop in that bracket mounting.
Your wingnut in addition to not being located in it's irregular socket is also hung up on the ridge of the hole giving a false adjustment. Once it slips into the socket it will be loose.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Tom - get a GEMO cable. I believe they were the original manufacturer of the cables.

I have a new one in place and another with the other spare parts in the camper.

I've changed four so far. One on ice, one in the snow, one in January in a SLC parking lot, and one preventative maintenance in good conditions. Parking lots with bumpers and curbs are good. Drive the driver's side wheels onto the bumper or curb and you don't have to bust out the jack.

Aloha
tp

Tom - in 360,000 miles on my 1971 I changed the clutch cable once on general practice, If you are going through cables that quickly you might take a look at your engine ground strap. I have heard that when they are weak/corroded the clutch cable carries the starter ground, gets hot and eventually fails.

That was in thirty years of ski trips in cold weather. A bit painful when the moustache freezes to the pillow. I'll probably be putting in a new battery before the next trip. I have a new 2g red battery cable to replace the present black positive cable. I'll be checking out the transmission ground strap when I do those. I use a woven ground strap with a threaded post and a wing nut. The wing nut makes it easy to disconnect the ground for electrical work and storage and I can disable the vehicle when the valets want to do the parking.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a strap that is mounted to the driver side diagonal arm anchor and the other side goes to the transmission - it carries the frame ground to the motor. Sometimes those corrode. I also ran a ground from the fame to the engine shroud.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
... I also ran a ground from the frame to the engine shroud.

I know you have a good reason for that. I was about to ask, but obviously, the coil is mounted on the engine shroud.
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: