Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing cigarette lighter receptacle
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Replacing cigarette lighter receptacle Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I have a satellite radio for my main car. It plugs into the cig lighter for power. This is the only option it has for power. The problem is the Vanagon receptacle is a little shorter than the modern cig receptacles that this is made for. So while it works it doesn't snap in like it should and just falls out if you let go if it.

What would be a solution for this? replace the receptacle with a newer one? if so could someone kind of walk me through the process or point me to a diy thread?

I also have an auxiliary battery installed with an inverter, so maybe there is a plug to cig receptacle device?

any help is appreciated and thanks

84 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
snowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done two things. One, I replaced the cigarette lighter with a proper power port. Every thing fits better, and has a little rubber cover. Big improvement. I have a number of them around the van. All run off the house battery. Two, I installed a female power port on a pigtail that just sits inside the dash. My tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab, percent size for the dash btw...) has a charger that runs through the ash tray and stays permanantly plugged in. That way there are no cables having down from a device that spends alot of time there...
Blix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowesty wrote:
I've done two things. One, I replaced the cigarette lighter with a proper power port. Every thing fits better, and has a little rubber cover. Big improvement. I have a number of them around the van. All run off the house battery. Two, I installed a female power port on a pigtail that just sits inside the dash. My tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab, percent size for the dash btw...) has a charger that runs through the ash tray and stays permanantly plugged in. That way there are no cables having down from a device that spends alot of time there...

Hey sounds great man, any chance you could break down the process for installing a new one for me? Do i need to remove the dash to get the receptacle out? Thanks Smile

84 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wjjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blix wrote:

Do i need to remove the dash to get the receptacle out? Thanks Smile

Nope, just pull the glove box and go in through there
snowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripping the old one out took all of two minutes with a pair of pliers. Of course there isn't much left of the old one when you are done. But who cares, right? Join in the wires, afix the new plug, done. Ten min job. All good....
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing ciggarette lighter receptacle Reply with quote

Blix wrote:
...What would be a solution for this?

I have been known to jam half of a spring-type clothes pin in alongside the plug to keep it from falling out. A popsicle stick works to.

Have you consdered using the 'silver plug' outlet for the radio? That would side step the problem and also leave the lighter outlet available ofr other use.
Blix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing ciggarette lighter receptacle Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Blix wrote:
...What would be a solution for this?

I have been known to jam half of a spring-type clothes pin in alongside the plug to keep it from falling out. A popsicle stick works to.

Have you consdered using the 'silver plug' outlet for the radio? That would side step the problem and also leave the lighter outlet available ofr other use.

good idea about the plug. i always wondered what that plug was for. how do i adapt it? is there an adapter readily available?

also i just went to flaps and they had like ten different replacements to choose from so i came home to take the receptacle i have out so i can match it up correctly when i go back...

found this guide

http://www.vanagonauts.com/Cigarette-Lighter-R&R211.htm

84 Westy
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing ciggarette lighter receptacle Reply with quote

Blix wrote:
...good idea about the plug. i always wondered what that plug was for. how do i adapt it? is there an adapter readily available?

Lookee here:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SilverSocket.html
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed a couple of these with the last gowesty order:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4482&category_id=&category_parent_id=

You used to see lots of "surface mount" 12V outlets, not so much anymore, I searched around online quite a bit looking for a cheaper alternative but couldn't easily find one similar.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dplumtree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just did it. taking the ashtray out and the glove box out you can get at it with 2 angles. if you have a stock VW lighter they say you can twist them apart. mine was frozen shut so the pliers job as stated above did the trick. it does make a mess of it though so you are committed to replace it. mine, a 1990 camper had a plug on the end and wasn't complatible with the canadian tire one i bought to replace it. so i snipped the plug off and crimped some spade connectors on and i was good to go. make sure you disconnect your battery. good luck and expect some grazed knuckes.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a napa and check out there book behind the counter. They have many more styles available than what is on the shelf. I found one that was almost identical to the original with the outside illuminated ring. Sorry I don't have the part #.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my stock 87 one for a subaru "powerport" flip cap. I did it during a CD swap out. I took my time getting the stock one out. Dont make that mistake. Its going in the garbage!! The Subaru have a scew back. Iv also been working on putting in a pop out one from a 99 audi wagon in the back.

jcl
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you have a 1984 Westy, meaning you have a Powerlet socket! Save some time and energy...follow my tip from an earlier thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5305756&highlight=powerlet+adapter#5305756
Again, Burnsmoto.com is a fine source.
Cheers,
Jeffery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keving
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plummerdesign wrote:
Seems you have a 1984 Westy, meaning you have a Powerlet socket! Save some time and energy...follow my tip from an earlier thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5305756&highlight=powerlet+adapter#5305756
Again, Burnsmoto.com is a fine source.
Cheers,
Jeffery

WOW! I've been wondering what the heck that was in my '84 since I got it. Thanks!
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my front stock outlets with one from West Marine. The new outlet comes screwed to a large mounting plate. I removed it from the plate. Made a two inch pigtail that plugs directly into the factory plug. It took a little bit of force but it fits very tight in the factory hole in the dash. Locked it down with the supplied nut from the back and it's rock solid. The gps,cell phone charger,etc. all plug in very nice. Plus it has a nice cover that keeps the little ones from sticking coins into it. (I have a Ford that has a outlet in the rear that the kids have dropped a coin into before and it is a bear to get it out after the fuse has blown of course). The West Marine outlet set I got came with two outlets so I will replace the one I have in the rear with the new extra one so the front and fear plugs match. Total cost was just under 20.00 for two quality marine grade outlets. Even came witha few push on crimp connectors.

Bill
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed two of these: http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-12V-Receptacle-Blk-P...mp;sr=8-11 -- $15

Front mounting plate is optional, comes with screws and (2) 10-12 gauge terminals.

One in the dash to replace the old one (it's a tight fit but you can actually thread it in without having to enlarge the hole), and one under the back seat.
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get it here for less
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-274
same thing

I put one in place of the cig lighter that was hanging out of the dash
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Parts Express version is a knock-off of the Marinco design. It does not offer the same quality of materials (rear casting of housing not as resilient and the rubber cap doesn't fit as well), but it should serve its function fine for the in-dash application. Digi-Key sells this same socket for $3.00 http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=AS212-ND

I would personally spend the extra money for a real Marinco or a Blue Seas power socket. If you have a decent boating supply store near you, it might turn out to be about the same price to buy the real deal rather than paying shipping for a single small item like this.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the plugs i used from West Marine. I bought the double but have only installed the one so far. Seems to be of reasonable quality.
http://tinyurl.com/6bexoxn
I am satisfied with it and so far has held every plug tight.

Bill
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I mention mine shipped free.....no worries Mate
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: