Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Home stretch for firing up new motor -- few last minute Qs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, I did mean to come off as harsh. I was just sugesting that with all the time,money,and hard work you have invested in this new engine an extra 150-200 depending if you want to install it yourself from Dakota Digital is money well spent. If your gonna buy one gauge cht is the one. And buck up for the DD one.
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been scratching my head about this for two weeks. Not drilling a hole with my nails, just pondering: why is DD using a thermocouple rather than a thermistor? Thermistors are readily available in the temp range we're talking about, are self contained, and may be used with many different instruments.

The only thing I can come up with is that either DD chooses thermocouple because they're cheap technology. Thermistors in this range are more expensive, but are more accurate.

I know Dakota Digital is...well, digital. But having the blue-glo staring out from an otherwise analog dash just doesn't look right.

M
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thermocouple sender is an easy way to add an aftermarket gauge. Just stick the sender under the spark plug and you are done (unless of course you have problems). To use a thermistor takes a bit more planning. If you have the cylinder tin off you could easily install a second TSII sender in the early TSII location and use it to send a signal to a gauge, but if the engine is assembled or if there is no early TSII boss then a thermistor retrofit would be highly complicated.

Note: The later (bus) TSII location does not give an accurate head temperature reading as it is greatly affected by the cooling air flow.
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WT,

So it sounds like this is a combination of economy, as well as being able to get closer to action with a thermocoupler than with a thermistor. Though I suppose if there's a problem with thermistors generally, relative to the cooling airflow then there is bound to be a question about the TSII readings, too.

Thanks for providing a rational answer. I'm still convinced that there has to be a way to get accurate CHT readings to the dash without staring at a seven segment display, but I'll leave that to another day. Certainly anything can be solved with cash: install a airplane CHT gauge. Beautiful. And $!

M
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: