Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, for that. I've seen someone's pix of the whole thing apart so it seems possible to get the odo component off of the speedo shaft. Looks dicey to me.
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, my efforts to get cyanoacrylate adhesive to wick down the shaft and fuse the metal gear failed. I'm not surprised. Back to the drawing board.

In the course of re-installing the instruments unit, I noticed a two-pronged electrical connector on the back of the speedo unit. It had no electrical cable attached to it. I found, the dash, a wire with a two-prong connector, female. Spacing was right, plugged it in. Nothing different than before.

Can anyone tell me what the two-prong male terminal on the speedo unit is for? It does not show in the pictures in my Bentley.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VSS for the cruise control.
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! This may explain why my cruise control does not work.

Is polarity an issue?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe so.
Chris_L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While fixing the odo, I broke the very small shaft that turns the speedo needle, on the opposite end of the shaft from where the speedo needle is pressed on. Basically where the shaft goes into the drive behind all the odo parts.

The pictures of the odo housing separated completely from the speedo drive made me think that the shaft could come out on the other end similar to pulling the speedo needle off the top (which was really tight on mine). Somewhere in there, the shaft actually gets much smaller in diameter, and is even more delicate than it appears.

Is there anyway to replace the small speedo shaft? This is on a syncro (86 gl), so replacing the whole instrument is tougher as they different from normal vanagon speedos.
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it's my turn to tackle this repair ( http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431499 ) so I thought it would be good to get some follow-up from tencentlife and/or orbitald, given that it's been about a year since their original repairs.
So, is it still working, guys? Do you still think this is the definitive fix?

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

super glue is very weak in shear, but strong in tension.

mordeaux wrote:
So, my efforts to get cyanoacrylate adhesive to wick down the shaft and fuse the metal gear failed. I'm not surprised. Back to the drawing board.
Inlet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a way to set the clock to standard time?
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneStock67 wrote:
It looks like it's my turn to tackle this repair ( http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431499 ) so I thought it would be good to get some follow-up from tencentlife and/or orbitald, given that it's been about a year since their original repairs.

tencentlife wrote:
Yeah, it'll work for thousands of miles. I've tried every method of fixing that gear to the shaft save a roll-pin; knurling, super glue, you name it. They've all worked for thousands of miles, usually a year or two, or even more. And then the thing just stops again, and you open it up and the shaft has walked on out the side again just as it always does.

When you add a hard physical stop to the end where it walks out, it makes it impossible for it to move in that direction again.

How long has my stop-fix been on there? Well, uh, thousands of miles (couple years now). So far so good, is all I can say.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was two years old already when I posted that. Never paid it any mind since then either. Did the same fix for someone else just last month.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my van's inspection just lapsed as of two days ago, I decided it was REALLY time this time to fix the odometer. And I was REALLY planning to do tencentlife's fix, but it ended up being so easy to get at the offending gear shaft and just push it back into position that I figured I would do just that and wait and see how long it took for it to flake out again. Anyway, it took about ten minutes, my odometer works again, and that's my story, at least for now.
Now about that exhaust leak ....

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and that's my story, at least for now.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, now you're just telegraphing your future "I told you so", which I will certainly give you the opportunity to make at the appropriate time, when, in the spirit of full disclosure, I report back on how long it takes for the shaft to slip again.
But if it does turn out to be at least a few thousand miles, I can live with a ten minute fix at that interval. But the scorn of tencentlife? That is a much more bitter pill to swallow.

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneStock67 wrote:
As my van's inspection just lapsed as of two days ago, I decided it was REALLY time this time to fix the odometer. And I was REALLY planning to do tencentlife's fix, but it ended up being so easy to get at the offending gear shaft and just push it back into position that I figured I would do just that and wait and see how long it took for it to flake out again. Anyway, it took about ten minutes, my odometer works again, and that's my story, at least for now.

All mine needed was to for the shaft to be put back into its mounting hole as well; it didn't make it back to the van without falling back out. Mad So, paperclip to the rescue:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One thousand miles later, it's still rolling.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneStock67 wrote:
Hey, now you're just telegraphing your future "I told you so", which I will certainly give you the opportunity to make at the appropriate time, when, in the spirit of full disclosure, I report back on how long it takes for the shaft to slip again.
But if it does turn out to be at least a few thousand miles, I can live with a ten minute fix at that interval. But the scorn of tencentlife? That is a much more bitter pill to swallow.

Scorn? Hardly. Commiseration would be more accurate. Even though we feel the pain at different times, we still feel it together.

Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, commiserate for sure

my JB weld fix lasted all of about 1000'.... that was 2 years ago I think Rolling Eyes

I'll be in there soon and will mate a hard stop to the housing. It gets old not knowing how far I've gone (have to go) or what kind of mpg the beastie is achieving.

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
Orbitald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneStock67 wrote:

I guess its been about a 1 1/2 years or 10K miles for mine and its still working perfectly fine. Hard to imagine that the shaft could pull out with the bracket there. Most likely some other part will fail before hand.

David R.
Oakland CA
'87 Syncro Westfakia, 1.9TD ADE (AAZish), 068 Injection Pump, K03 turbo, 2.5" exhaust, Mercedes nozzles, SAAB Blackstone charge-cooler w/ 800cfm fan, Micro-1000 EGT sensor pre-turbo, boost at about 13psi, 235/70/16 with stock gearing
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, mine just went yesterday, one mile before 224,224 so I wanted to fix it! Got in there today before reading this and just slid it back over. We'll see how long it lasts, but it seemed to go back and click in? Dunno, but at least there are some fixes, no matter how "primitive". I like the paperclip idea. So....we'll see if my upcoming 2,500 mile trip is a freebie or actually gets registered on the odometer.
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine gave up the ghost right when I changed the fuel lines. Thought it was a weird coincidence. Crying or Very sad
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promised full disclosure:

I just noticed the other day that mine had slipped back out again, probably not more than fifty miles after I had put it back in. So I too am now fully convinced that a hard stop is needed. That paperclip idea does look appealing, but I fear it would not take too much vibration to move it enough to let the shaft fall out again.

By the way, is it just me, or do various posts in this thread cause an almost irresistible urge to give a "That's what SHE said" kind of reply?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: