Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Would you trade your Thing for...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pagerow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Would you trade your Thing for... Reply with quote

...a Baywindow bus?

Or maybe a better question is: Should I trade my bus for a Thing?

I've owned my bus for just over 2 years, and it was an adventure just getting it (see my blog in my signature; flying up to Wisconsin, and driving it back to Florida!) AND it is painted like the Mystery Machine. I've got it running smoothly, and all it needs is some interior work (it has all the camper items, just no pop-top).

Mine: 1973 Baywindow, mostly stock, sink/fridge, fold out bed, jumpseat, etc. See my pics
His: 1973 Thing, yellow... stock? (I haven't seen it in person yet...)
http://2ndlight.com/fusetalk/forum/attachments/viewattachment.cfm?attachid=62281&forumid=1

My bus buddies are 1/2 for the trade, and 1/2 against... Any ideas or suggestions?

www.tripletaildesigns.com (New site now WORKING!) Can make many VW related items!

http://paydro.travellerspoint.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no thing for a bus,...
yes for a bus for a thing,.you'll have more fun with a thing.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pagerow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you can't have fun in a bus?

From my favorite bumber stickers:
"If this bus is a rockin'
then my engine's a knockin' "

"0-60 in 11 minutes!"

Well, maybe more fun when they're parked... you're beginning to convince me! ANyone else?

www.tripletaildesigns.com (New site now WORKING!) Can make many VW related items!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have a Thing than a late Bay any day. I currently have a Bay single, split single and a split Westfalia but my Thing is by far the most fun to cruise around town in. But if you're gonna do a lot of road trips, go camping etc, keep the Bay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lettuce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 76 campmobile and a thing. I would rather have the thing. It is simpler and easier to work on and parts are cheaper for the most part. I think it is more fun to drive than the big heavy bus. You can put the top down and cruise around town, or go see where those fire roads go. The bus is better for hauling stuff. They are worth about the same, but the thing is much less common... a bus might bring a a smile to somebody's face but they wont even know what the thing is.

I wouldn't want to sell either, but to be honest the bus kind of scares me. It has to be smogged and it has the type 4 engine, which I am not as comfortable with.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Things are pretty fair weather vehicles compared to a Bay window bus. Have owned both, I am sure in the long run I have had way more fun with the Bus. My bus is my fun to drive primary vehicle, while the Thing is a seasonal toy which because of this years relentless spring rains has yet to have the tarp taken off.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Most Things are pretty fair weather vehicles compared to a Bay window bus. Have owned both, I am sure in the long run I have had way more fun with the Bus. My bus is my fun to drive primary vehicle, while the Thing is a seasonal toy which because of this years relentless spring rains has yet to have the tarp taken off.

Fair weather, shmare weather!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like driving my Thing every chance I can get. Good or bad weather. But honestly, driving in hard pouring rain just downright sucks. With soft top up and curtains installed it feels like your driving a tent. Laughing
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines a daily driver all season kinda Thing. It's all about what you need to haul.

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
bonampak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTHING LIKE A THING
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a baywindow I would ABSOLUTELY trade it for a Thing. I'm biased though, I OWN a Thing!

Plus, you could always pick up another baywindow project cheap.... not too easy to find a cheap Thing project.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in Oregon I have yet to see a single Thing on the road this season, either Things are miserable when its cold and damp or most Thing owners must be wimps. I drove mine many years year around, wet and cold a good bit of the time even with both a gas heater and heater boxes. A Bay with a good stock heating system beats a Thing by far.
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daily driver is a decked out Syncro; I always ask my girlfriend to drive the Thing Laughing

1973 Thing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeck2 wrote:
My daily driver is a decked out Syncro; I always ask my girlfriend to drive the Thing Laughing

Syncro's are cool.... bays ain't
Bugs4Life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned both, Bay Campers are the awesome, I lived in one for a year at one point, had a blast. I currently own a thing, and it's toss up for me on the 2, I hope to have both eventually, maybe next tax season.
G
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a sweet 1 owner original paint 69 westy. it was awesome! i still wouldnt trade my thing for it. Mine has sentimental value. i will Never EVER part with my Thing. did i mention EVER!?
Pagerow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input! I see many of you are out west, and up in WA or Cali. I live in Florida, and yes, we get driving rain here, so I can see where that would suck to drive in.

BUT we also have lots of good driving weather, and no need for full time heat (A/C? YES, but heat, no) in the vehicle. Mine has a good amount of fixable rust, and I'm assuming his does too, so that is a wash.

I DO want something that my wife can drive too, and we both used to have Jeeps, so we enjoy the fun-factor of these type cars.

I'm meeting him later today, so I'll give an update when I meet him.

--Pete

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

partial to Thing as spent 3.5 yrs restoring one. just now getting opportunity to enjoy. yes, mine is more fair weather. but by choice.

i have learned an appreciation for buses being around a few shows and a couple folks I know that have recently drug theirs out of hibernation. definitely think they make the camping scene cool.

so, one of each appears to be a popular vote.

quick note: appears the Thing as been Beetlized (bug beam and stance). to each their own. that's what's great about this hobby.

good luck with what ever you choose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the thing and get a tent. Or a camper

I have had a bug, dune buggy, and thing and the Thing is by far the best.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pagerow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caseydenise, that is a great set-up you have there. That is what I'd like to get eventually.

I met the guy, and took his Thing for a test drive, and WOW! This is a great little ride, smooth, with good power, and going top-less here in FLA is a great thing (in a Thing!). We couldn't work a deal (trade-wise), but maybe in the future. Stock 1600, with the front end slightly lowered (torsion bars? adjustable?) Minimal rust for a beachside THing (less than my bus!) Great for cruising where we want to go.

I'm now a THING FAN!

Anybody want to work a trade Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: