Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tom Tom BD
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooooow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby jeezus attempted a tear, then fainted.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doc jandry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vamos a ver como lo explicamos, que ya veo que esto está muy animado.
Yo quiero un bus para viajar con el y disfrutarlo, no quiero un bus para tenerlo guardado en el garaje y decir "que patina tan bonito tiene..."
Yo no sé cuantas personas habeis visto el bus en persona, si ya sé que en las fotos sale muy bien, pero la realidad no es esa. El bus estaba podrido por unos cuantos sitios, la mitad del bus estaba sin pintura y la chapa se estaba corroyendo.
Yo vivo en Asturias, una zona muy muy muy húmeda y cerca de la playa.
Si yo no restauro el bus, sencillamente "me quedo sin el en un par de años".
Yo puse el bus a la venta hace menos de un año por esta razón y no hubo comprador (mejor dicho, no hubo pagador), que compradores había muchos.
Yo ya sabía que esto iba a traer "cola" y también sé que es muy fácil criticar desde el otro lado cuando no tienes tus intereses en juego.
Bueno, un saludo a todos y haber si alguien me hace el favor de traducirlo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc jandry wrote:
Vamos a ver como lo explicamos, que ya veo que esto está muy animado.
Yo quiero un bus para viajar con el y disfrutarlo, no quiero un bus para tenerlo guardado en el garaje y decir "que patina tan bonito tiene..."
Yo no sé cuantas personas habeis visto el bus en persona, si ya sé que en las fotos sale muy bien, pero la realidad no es esa. El bus estaba podrido por unos cuantos sitios, la mitad del bus estaba sin pintura y la chapa se estaba corroyendo.
Yo vivo en Asturias, una zona muy muy muy húmeda y cerca de la playa.
Si yo no restauro el bus, sencillamente "me quedo sin el en un par de años".
Yo puse el bus a la venta hace menos de un año por esta razón y no hubo comprador (mejor dicho, no hubo pagador), que compradores había muchos.
Yo ya sabía que esto iba a traer "cola" y también sé que es muy fácil criticar desde el otro lado cuando no tienes tus intereses en juego.
Bueno, un saludo a todos y haber si alguien me hace el favor de traducirlo.

Que te pasa Tio! JODER!!! Aqui muchos hablen y no tienen. No te me precupes, yo te lo tradusco lo mejor posible. Otra cosa, haber cuando tiras para Euskalifornia con el Pirata del Martin. Ese Tio es un crack! DALE!

Here is a translation of what Jandro just wrote ..........

"Lets see how I can explain this as this has gotten really animated.

I want a bus which I can drive and enjoy, and not have it sitting in the garage most of the time and say ' what beautiful patina it has '. I don't know how many people have actually seen the bus in person. I know the bus takes great pictures, but the reality is ....... it looks a lot better in pictures then it does in person. There are lots of rot/rust issues through out the body of the bus, half the bus is without paint and the undercarriage is corroding.

I live in Asturias, in northern Spain. An area which is very humid and very close the othe ocean. If I don't attend to what needs to be done to the bus (rust repair, paint, etc), I will be without a bus in a few years.

I put the bus up for sale less then a year ago for this very reason and no buyer (or better said, no one willing to pay the asking price), but lots on interest.

I knew in advance that my actions towards my bus would raise eyebrows within the community and know as well that it is easier to criticize from across the pond when the 'pointers' have no real interest nor are in the game. (meaning, owning a Barndoor)

Well then, hello to everyone and hopefully someone can do me the favor and translate this for me."

Jandro ........ aqui lo tienes Tio! No te me precupes de lo que dicen. Es tu furgo y has lo que te de las ganas. Vale. Otra cosa ......... GORA EUSKAL HERRIA!! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just cant make everyone understand, if everytime you walked into an antique store and everything was restored as brand new then who would walk in.

What i dont understand is you buy it with all that massive premium on its uniqueness and then want to destroy that so you can drive it. Like that was something you didnt realise at first. If you couldnt sell it then may be lowering the asking price would be better than trying to make it northern Spain proof.

Mate - you took something with a unique "something" and you destroyed it!

Instagram - rustykohlruss
Franz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all good. I can see why he decided to put some paint on it...but damn, I would have built a humidty controlled garage before loosing that patina...

bye bye old friend Crying or Very sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barndoor Mafia translation wrote:
I want a bus which I can drive and enjoy, and not have it sitting in the garage most of the time and say ' what beautiful patina it has '. I don't know how many people have actually seen the bus in person. I know the bus takes great pictures, but the reality is ....... it looks a lot better in pictures then it does in person. There are lots of rot/rust issues through out the body of the bus, half the bus is without paint and the undercarriage is corroding.

I have seen it and it definitely had some rough areas in person. Nothing compared to what we have seen on here though...

Quote:
you buy it with all that massive premium on its uniqueness

I agree with this. I felt that the purchase price was directly related to the look of the vehicle.

I personally would have tried to preserve the external look as much as possible but it's your Bus.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
C.C.C.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go and cry myself to sleep now...
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't think I am having a go at you. I'm just trying to give myself some therapy to recover from this shock that has sent me into depression.

Your right lots of us didn't see it in the flesh. THATS THE PROBLEM! If you had warned you were about to do this I would have flown out to Spain immediately to see it before.
As for loosing it in a couple of years (and people across 'the pond') alot of the people posting are barndoor owners (most patined) from the UK. A small island surrounded by salt water and seamists. I'm in the southwest were it's so narrow we can experience the sea mist from both sides at once yet just down the road is a barndoor deluxe older then yours in original pain that's lived here for 6 years now. Just round the corner also is a bus that gets driven regularly and has been here for 8 years-ish and it's in BARE METAL!!!
If you needed patina protection you just needed to ask the Brits.
I need to rethink my top 3 BDs from that thread that was up a while ago. My top two no longer exist as I liked them Crying or Very sad
Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO... He's doing the right thing. Preserving the Barn-door. Carry on now.

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huge error!
are there any others (prior) pictures of the work on the body (on the blog)? maybe of sanding off that og paint?

doc jandry wrote:
There are lots of rot/rust issues throughout the body of the bus

really?
Bergepanzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I also feel like giving a comment about this hot and very emotional discussion.

My personal and very subjective opinion: I think both sides are right ... There would have been good ways to conserve and to protect the bodywork with special grease and wax solutions, also a transparent PU sealer is available which creeps into the rust and uses the water in there for the hardening process. The surface then still looks rusty but is water-repellent and sealed. But it is too late for that now.

Movie stars get face lifted - so why shouldn´t this also be allowed for an old BD lady? Many liked her before in all her mature beauty - others will surely like her with her lifted and massaged body.

There is just one major thing: It is not our bus - it is HIS. And he can do with it anything he wants. People had a chance to buy it and did not jump at it.

I think life is too short to stress our minds with argueing about the whole thing which happened here.

The bus is in good hands, though, and I´m sure the owner will enjoy it with its new look.
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with. It is his bus and he did lay down the cash so can do as he pleases. But that doesn't stop it hurting inside.
The thing that confuses me is why buy THIS bus to revamp. It was very expensive, rightly so due to the visible history, and if apparently rotted and lets not forget - fallen off a cliff!!! Maybe another 54 would have been a better idea. The rear corner will need some serious filler to pull of new paint.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bergepanzer wrote:
There is just one major thing: It is not our bus - it is HIS. And he can do with it anything he wants. People had a chance to buy it and did not jump at it.

There's a lot of art lovers around the world who can't afford a real Da Vinci or Monet, yet they might have strong feelings about how they are preserved and the measures taken to do so. I think that's all that's being expressed here. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong about it - it'll still be a '54 BD Deluxe when done.

I'm sure it'll look fantastic when done, just like the other restored ones that have popped up on this site from time to time.
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument about it being his bus and he can do anything he wants with it is true and nobody can disagree with that. What I see happening is that he had the bus for sale before and nobody jumped on it, ok no problem with that, but now he is going to put a large investment into restoring the bus and it is my opinion that it will be for sale again in a short time period. It seems now that his end profit? would be no different then if he had lowered his asking price of the bus in the condition it was before. The bus had a cool factor before because of its history and now it will be another shiny paint BD deluxe. It's irrelevant on which side you are on about the original/shiny paint debate, the bus has now lost its aura. I have no doubt that it will be a nice looking bus in the end, it just won't be THAT bus ever again.
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scvw wrote:
[...] the bus has now lost its aura. I have no doubt that it will be a nice looking bus in the end, it just won't be THAT bus ever again.

Exclamation
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will always be a Painful trend to love patina'd buses. If you love restored buses then you can just wait for that day. And a restored bus can be restored again and again. But it only takes one owner to restore a patina'd and it's over. Although there seems to be a large amount of patina'd buses around at the moment, they must be a dying breed. It's simple math.

Also, if an owner is worried about protecting their bus and/or investment. Surely the logical solution is new paint OVER the original. So it may be removed and put back to patina'd if the next owner desired?
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:

Also, if an owner is worried about protecting their bus and/or investment. Surely the logical solution is new paint OVER the original. So it may be removed and put back to patina'd if the next owner desired?

LMAO...seriously?
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just paint. At least he's not putting a sliding door on it or something. I don't like to leave exposed rust on my bus either. I sanded all the surface rust off of my bus and put rustoleum over it to protect it from getting worse. Sorry. I think there's a certain point where you cross from patina to fucking rust. When half the paint is gone I think it's time for more paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 28

Jump to: