Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LISA O.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

Dear Fellow Thingers,
My 73 Thing was smashed in a wreck this week and I am looking for some of you to come forward with recent sales stats so that I have a good case to present to the insurance company as to the real value of my car. If you have recently bought or sold a Thing in the $4500-$6500 price range, I would be most grateful if you would share your documentation with me. I would love a copy of car descriptions, photos, and bill of sales. This is a genuine request and feel free to email me if you'd like my phone number to discuss it.
Here is my email. [email protected]

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP>..(in advance)
LISA
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

if the insurence Co is giving you the run around,talk to a lawer.
99% of the time the first conversation is free.
allways remember, the insurence Co.'s #1 job in there eyes is not you but there pocketbook and they will do just about anything to keep from paying out as much as they can.
adjusters get commissions on how much they save the insurence co.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

Lisa,
go to the registry and u can print out a ton of Things for sale in all price ranges, from $1000 to $15,000. Don't take any less than what you feel what your car is worth, u might have to fight them on that, but dont back down. Just like Foxx said, they dont like to pay. How did the accident happen and what damages were there (the car and yourself)? is it fixable? Good luck!
LISA O.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for the replys to Foxx and N Hernandez.

I have spoken with a lawyer and am intent on the battle. Not to worry, no rolling over here. Good insight on the motives of adjusters, thanks.

The accident happened on a two lane highway where I was making a left onto my rural road. I was hit by a vehicle going 65mph who was attempting to pass me from the rear in the oncoming lane. The entire drivers side of my Thing is wiped out. My head hit the padded roll bar, and I was glad to buckled into my Beard seats. Anyhow, minimal damage to me and mucho damage to Thing. Other driver was sited and I am fighting. I do think it's fixable, Ford dealer quoted $6k. Their insurance says it's partly my fault and want to give me 30%. I have been told that I have an excellent chance of 100% return.

I still need some comps. I will download from type181 site.
Thanks again
LISA
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

LISA, Post some pics of your wrecked Thing, i'd love to see one that has been hit hard to see what a Thing is capable of withstanding such an impact at such speeds. Just like i said before, keep fighting, u deserve 110% return, plus pain and suffering. Tell them if they dont pay up, u'r gonna start having fear of driving, driving in convertible.........lol, that'll makem see $$$$$.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

i am glad you went to a lawer, he will get every penny and then some and he won't put up with there crap. it's a shame for the most part that if they just settled with you they would of come out ahead, but now they will have to dish out your loss and lawer fees ect.
don't let them forget it's a collector car and worth mucho $$$$
but really, the most sound advice anyone can give and take is if you have a accident and it's not your fault, go talk to a lawer.
only then will you will get your fair and honest shake.
(o\ l /o)meep,meep
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

I assume you had antique or collectors car insurance. If so, your insurance company should help you get a fair value for your car. I had to declare a value to get coverage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LISA O.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

Thanks again for the encouraging words. I appreciate it.
LISA
I will consider posting a pic, but more likely to just mail it to you Hernandez, still licking my wounds you know.
LISA O.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

Hi Nick,
My insurance company, Travelers, required an appraisal in order to get anything over liability only. Unfortunately, I didnt get the appraisal. Fortunately, the other driver is at fault. I do recommend full coverage tho, and will learn from my ommission.

LISA
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

Wow - that sucks about your Thing, but I'm glad to hear that you came out of it with minimal personal damage. Unfortunately, I picked my Thing up for under market value ($3,500 for a nice one), so I can't really help you there. Like nhernandez, though, I'm curious about how your Thing fared in an accident at that speed. I take it a lot of us are safety-conscious, and I've seen more Things with rollbars than without them. I just installed 3-point safety belts in mine, and really hope that they are never needed. Still, I've kept the stock seats in mine.

Anyway, I hope you can get your Thing back on the road soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

Lisa,
You may want to check at your bank and see if they have the NADA (National Auto Dealers Ass.) book for classic cars. Having been in the auto body business I can understand what your going through. But the insurance companies have a hard time knocking the NADA book. My list of accidents is nothing comparded to yours but, I recieved $1350 for my old 68 VW camper getting rear ended. I'll fix it this summer myself--they wanted to total it. I also recieved close to $4,500 from two different accidents in a $2,000 924. I handled the insurance companies myself. Just don't let the insurance companies blowing smoke upset you and get ready for a long battle. As for the 30% at fault. I told the insurance company "it doesn't matter if I stopped, jumped out and danced naked on the hood--the other drivers still has to make sure the way is clear before they turn or in your case pass. This shut them up pretty quick. Good luck!!!
Peace,
Frank
Retired Auto Body Tech
Eugene, Oregon
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

Lisa,
get the last 90 days of 181 sales off EBAY, that is a live auction market with actual prices nationwide, just pick the ones closest in condition to yours to make your case. The listings on the thing reg are ASKING prices, you do not know exactly what was paid for what. Priices on cherry cars seem to be on the rise right now and 6 month old data may not reflect current values.
Kubelken
Largest indoor VW collection in the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LISA O.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

Thank you Frank and Kubelken for your insightful advise. I will be haggling soon for settlement. I appreciate your good words.

LISA
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: NEED SOME RECENT SALE COMPS Reply with quote

North West Thing Association published a price guide aboout a year ago. I didn't save my copy. Trouble with e-bay is you have no real idea of condition. I suspect some of the Thing groups out there can help establish the price. Our daily driver took forth at KuebelTreffen East and is insured for $6,000. The person who took 6th has his insured for $8,000. I am listing this as these are daily drivers not "show cars." A Thing in very good condition (minimal rust and can be driven reliably) is worth a lot more than those listed on e-bay. Be sure to include price of shipping in your negotiations. While you may find a good car to replace yours, it will cost up to $1000 to get it to you.

Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: