Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poll: Keep the Van color solid Wolfram Grey or Spice it up?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I keep van color solid grey or add some effects?
Keep her solid
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Add a solid pinstripe
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Add multiple pinstripes
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Poll: Keep the Van color solid Wolfram Grey or Spice it up? Reply with quote

So I got the ok to repaint our Wolfram Grey Westy. It has some minor rust issues and so we wanted to take care of that while we have the window seals out for tinting.

So my question for you is whether or not I should get crazy and do some pinstripes?

I like the solid grey so I could easily go that route. But sometimes I like the look of some of the pinstripes I see on these older vans. They are just so classic 80s looking. I was thinking a thin combo of dark blue on top of burnt orange. Maybe right along the mid-line of the body?

What do you folks think? Any cool color schemes out there that you would suggest? Or should I go commando style and go all grey/black?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can do or you know someone who can do real pinstripes then go for it(I would love to see the end result). The pinstripe in a roll from the FLAPS is supa tacky in my eyes though.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote was for solid grey. Although the orange/blue stripe could look great if done well.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm painting wolfram grey tomorrow then the clear coat. Satin black late model bumpers,white poptop with a grey canvas(made by me) with VW alloys(205/70/r14)
I'm thinkin to replace the solid single silver stripe.
Looks a little plain without it.
Then I'm selling it Shocked
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Keep the Van color solid Wolfram Grey or Spice it Reply with quote

aguabonita wrote:
Any cool color schemes out there that you would suggest?

The factory had a wide stripe in the body indent which I think looks OK.

Pin stripes are fine too, if you like them.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Keep the Van color solid Wolfram Grey or Spice it Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
aguabonita wrote:

Now,where to get one.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Keep the Van color solid Wolfram Grey or Spice it Reply with quote

Captain Pike wrote:
r39o wrote:
aguabonita wrote:

Now,where to get one.

The factory style vynal could be made at a sign shop or you buy it at the auto body supply (if the width is close enough.) Otherwise, you mask and paint it in.

I have removed that stick on stripe and it is a huge pita. Better to just paint it and then clear the whole van.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I did. Heat gun and solvent takes too much time.
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree with the professional job, tho. Seriously. I love orange, white and greys together, it could look really really cool as a professional job. Wasn't the body stripe just a couple shades off?

If we went crazy with our Wolfram Grey van I'd ask the pinstriping pro for samples, and would consider some ghost grey/silver touches if s/he could pull it off.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8 wrote:
Gotta agree with the professional job, tho. Seriously. I love orange, white and greys together, it could look really really cool as a professional job. Wasn't the body stripe just a couple shades off?

If we went crazy with our Wolfram Grey van I'd ask the pinstriping pro for samples, and would consider some ghost grey/silver touches if s/he could pull it off.

That's what I'm thinking. Professional job only. Blue, orange, and off-white. And I'm thinking the "pinstripes" would actually be a bit thicker than a traditional pinstripe. Maybe a centimeter or two wide for each color down the length of the van.

She would definitely drive faster and smoother with some effects.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pinstripe painters don't usually do wide stripes like the centimeters wide you mentioned. So contact them first to find out the cost on that before you consider it.

What about talking to an auto graphic shop? Lots around these days with vehicle wraps and commercial advertising wraps being so popular. They may have a kit with several stripes on backing paper ready to apply. It takes a knack, though....

Sorry for the hijack, but how did you guys get that wide factory stripe off? I was looking at mine the other day. Did it respond well to a heat gun allowing you to get it off by gentle pulling, or did it keep tearing and require mind numbing scraping to get the sticker off? That's a separate question from getting the adhesive off - which I can handle and have a favorite product. 3M's adhesive remover in the red can and a plastic scraper would make short work. It's the actual plastic stripe I'm worried about removing.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
The pinstripe painters don't usually do wide stripes like the centimeters wide you mentioned. So contact them first to find out the cost on that before you consider it.

Yeah, good point. I guess I was hoping the painter could throw down some tape and put up a couple of lines on her side. That might be harder and more expensive than I had originally thought though. I might not have a choice in the matter.

As for the factory stripe, I never had one there was/is nothing to remove so I can't help you there.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you never had one on the long body indentation then perhaps adding one in a neat color would be enough of a change and different look. Just pick a color at a graphic shop and they'll simply cut it to width for you. I'm planning to put a white stripe on and may use 3M reflective tape for added measure of night safety. I have the same color body as yours and the strip is a slightly lighter grey/silver. Most I've seen had the same so figured it was a common factory trim.

I was wondering how the other two folks had removed their stripes, actually. I'll PM 'em...

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things work great for removing stripes and decals...

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Paint/...MX6N8RJ1bl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I used the Stripe Off wheel last weekend to remove the wide black stripe from my Wolfram Gray 88. Worked like a charm, except for a spot on the slider where the finish under the stripe had already started to come off. Took about an hour and a half. Just go slow and pay attention and it should work fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my main man said that the effects work is pretty hard to do in that after they spray the body color they would then need to prep again, mask, and lay down the effects. Plus, he said he would need to be "in my mind" in order to visualize how it would all look and work out.

In effect, I'll go solid Wolfram for now. Maybe one of those sticker inlays will be in my future.

Thanks all
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: