Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuse diagram wrong?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kabasue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Fuse diagram wrong? Reply with quote

Printing out the fuse diagram from Samba to laminate and attach to my fuse panel for easy reference. Something doesn’t make sense to me.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_7172_fuses.jpg
9. 16 ampere… left low beam
10. 8 ampere…. Right low beam
11. 16 ampere…. Left tail light
Why would the right and left lights have different amperage, shouldn’t it be 10. 16 ampere and 11. 8 ampere? Or am I missing something important.

Also
Is there any logical reason the PO connected the coil to fuse 6 (or fuse 7) instead of fuse 12 then install a cutoff switch to keep the battery from draining? I have left it on a few times killing the battery and I would like to move it back to where it belongs.

Also
My beetle is a 71 standard, why does it have 12 fuse panel (supper) instead of 10 fuse panel (standard). It looks factory, just of a kind of a head scratcher.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that fuse box diagram on the wiring diagrams page is backwards. You might try the 1973 diagram instead.

Do you have a fusebox cover on your fusebox - they list either fuse numbers or have pictograms of the circuits - and they list the circuit numbers.

You must have a late 1971 model. The fuse box change happened during the model year. The fuse box change happened at 1112799843. Does your have that computer diagnosis system? VW started to add that intermittantly at that time as well.

I believe it is, but not totally sure if the 1972 wiring diagram is totally correct for those late 71s. You'd have to verify by tracing some wires.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_std_super_72.jpg

I think the 73-later 111 diagram is also the same, but those are circuit layout diagrams and not vehicle layout style.

In 1972 The headlights should be fuses 3 4 5 6 (terminal 56a+b). Parking lights fuses 1 and 2 (terminal 58 ).

Fuse 7 was an accessory fuse.

Emergency flashers on 8, dome light and door buzzer on fuse 9, 16 amps but I've always wondered why that needed that big of a fuse. (termianal 30)

Fuse 10-12 are terminal 15 - Fuse 10 was the "X" terminal and on a Super with the rear defogger and blower fan in the dash, 16 amps is about right, Standards without those items, well it still shows 16amps but I don't know if the wiper needs that big of a fuse. Fuse 11 was the brake lights and horn, and fuse 12 the turn signals and power for the dash warning lights and fuel gauge.

The way VW had it, coil power was not via a fuse. It's tapped from the UNfused side of fuse 12. Some people don't like that it's unfused and either add an inline fuse or move to to the fused side of the fusebox. Must be what that previous owner did. Although I'd have chose to tap into circuit 15, not 30, so the ignition key turns it off instead of that kill switch.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9. 16 ampere… left low beam
10. 8 ampere…. Right low beam
11. 16 ampere…. Left tail light
how did you check this ?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was just going off of this diagram that's in theSamba's wiring page for the 71 Super. Which has the fuse colors per position correct but the circuit descriptions are backwards.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuse diagram wrong? Reply with quote

Kabasue wrote:
Printing out the fuse diagram from Samba to laminate and attach to my fuse panel for easy reference. Something doesn’t make sense to me.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_7172_fuses.jpg

That fuse box diagram does NOT match ANY wiring diagram I could find. I even looked at the scans of the Owner Manuals for that year and they show the same messed up fuse box diagram.

Considering the wiring diagram is what you will need to wire/troubleshoot any electrical problems... you should check if your wiring colors match the 12-fuse '72 SB or the '73 STD wiring diagrams. Then use the fuse box diagram for THAT year.

Kabasue wrote:
Is there any logical reason the PO connected the coil to fuse 6 (or fuse 7) instead of fuse 12 then install a cutoff switch to keep the battery from draining? I have left it on a few times killing the battery and I would like to move it back to where it belongs.

What color are the wires connected to fuse #6 and #7?
The ignition coil must be wired to the ignition circuit (#15 wire on the wiring diagram) which is almost always black wires. Trace the wires and one black wire should go back to the ignition switch.

If the fuses that the ignition wire connects to are powered by a red wire (#30 battery power), it would explain the need to have a cutoff switch. Find the black wire from the ignition switch and test it for 12v. Maybe the ignition switch went bad and the PO moved the ignition wire to an "always powered" (#30) source.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}

Last edited by ashman40 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Kabasue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you glutamodo you pointed me in the right direction it is a late model 71, made in August I think. I printed out the 72 wiring diagram, and the 73 fuse panel and they match up pretty closely to what I am seeing. Going to have to spend a little time this weekend reattaching everything up. Not only did the PO make some funny choices, I know I have misplaced some wires.

ashman40 The PO did mention problems with the bug starting, going to have to trace the wires this weekend. Unfortunately the PO used black, or worse recycled beetle wires he had cut out on everything he replaced, but he did warn me of this when I bought it, so I can’t be mad at him.

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabasue wrote:
Thank you glutamodo you pointed me in the right direction it is a late model 71, made in August I think.

August '71 would've made it a '72 model year.

Does your VIN# start with:
"111..." = 1971
or
"112..." = 1972
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diagram is right, it's just done from looking at the fuse box from the top side (in the trunk) which is stupid I know.

so if you look at the fuses from the inside under the dash its the other way around.
Kabasue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

111 3 126 056

Which I think puts it in June? I think the bug does have a Computer diagnosis system, it would explain some of the butchered wires I found comeing into the engine compartment. There are two comeing off the starter (so dirty I can't tell the color), and another two in a brown plastic female reciver which goes who knows where. I have a fun weekend project now with my bug (besides getting it smoged). Pretty sure horn, turn signals, gass tank, head lights, and stop lights are in the incorrect postion, because thats the wiring I did. Laughing
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it does also!
With my 73 when I had a problem I cut out the diagnosis wires and then a few days after that I wondered what the hell was I doing??
I could have just figured what was going on and used the sires to do certain tests when things went bad.
If you write to Ashman (he has memorized all of this) he will explain what you can eliminate without a problem
Jerry
Kabasue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a little diagram to help me out this weekend, what cha' guys think? Going to laminate it and stick the top part under the fuse panel inside the car, while the bottom part along with a laminated copy of the 72 wiring diagram inside the truck under the fuse panel.

JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you just flip the lid 180 and mark which side is up ?
Kabasue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryMCarter1 wrote:

Sure, but I am getting laid off next week so work is paying for my Samba surfing and all the color wireing diagrams I can print.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryMCarter1 wrote:

Actually his lid has the proper symbols for the fuses... in the correct order.

It is only the fuse box diagram that is "wacked" for '71. I don't understand how VW could have messed up the diagram for that one year... and then publish it? Confused

Kabasue, nice job on the diagram. Smile
emu88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my fuses are blue 25 amp, except for 10 which is white. Seemed to work fine! Is that bad?
Long reach heads
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you develop a dead short it will take a lot longer to blow the 25 amp fuse than the 8 amp therefore the wires will get much hotter and chance for fire.
Why did someone put in 25 amp fuses ?
I think you had better find out. Replace one fuse at a time with the standard size fuse and see if it blows. This would tell you that you have a problem in that circuit.

Jerry
emu88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I will.

Does the diagram Kabasue made apply for 71 supers too?
Long reach heads
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know that answer

When one fuse is out you will be able to find out what is working and what is not - then you can answer your own question to the fuse schematic
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: