Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moab camping - without a syncro?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
40 mile trail that is half sand would suck on a bike, but just because a bike can't go there does not mean it is better than where a bike can go. There are how many miles of single track in Moab that are super awesome on a bike where jeeps/syncros are not allowed? I'm not saying those trails are better than ones where jeeps are allowed, but you catch my drift I'm sure.

totally, that's why i love moab. pick a trail, choose your weapon, and go. moto, bike, atv, 4x4...unicycle. if it fits the trail width you can take it...as it should be.

ps. i swear i'm not trying to turn this into a trail access rant/debate. the point is motorheads love it hear because it's one of the few near-fully accessible places left. if someone doesn't like that scene, please feel free to go anywhere else is this great country of ours where access is limited.

pss. despite the sometimes redneck crowd, i feel nothing compares to moab. i came here for syncro solstice and i still haven't left Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It (the town) has really changed over the past 30 years though. Last time I was there there was a sushi place in Moab. Yuppies everywhere trying to be cool. OMFG.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2wd Vanagon is the perfect vehicle for exploring Moab. I'm a diehard offroader and mountain biker, but there is a difference between being there to do technical trails and "conquer" trails and being there to explore.

In the latter scenario it's kinda funny how little you actually see. When you're easing a LandCruiser over living room furniture sized obstacles, you're looking down and focused. When you're trying to clean a hill on your mountain bike, again you're focused on the trail surface. Yes, you look around during breaks and pauses and inevitably "see" the cool stuff around you to one degree or another. But that's totally different than cruising slowly along a remote trail with with a cooler full of food stopping and marveling at how the sun plays across a sheer orange wall or a distant snow capped peak. For that, what could be better than a Vanagon - a vehicle you can notice the shadows lengthening and simply pull into a cool spot and pull out the gear to make dinner while your wifey makes the bed? Brilliant!! Go see all of the stuff these guys speak of - unforgettable.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have fun around Moab without even getting off the paved roads. Drive out to Dead Horse Point, Island in the Sky, visit Arches NP. Do a river run or road biking. It's so beautiful there, that if you've never been there you'd be amazed.

It's starting to get hot down there though, best wait until fall. It's time to go to the mountains for the best camping.

Personally, I quit going to Moab years ago when it started to get crowded, but thanks to Syncro Solstice, I just renewed my interest in going there.
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been before. We've been to Zion, Bryce, etc. and thought that was some of the most awesome scenery that we've ever seen.
Just wanted to see if I would be in trouble with my 2WD.
Thanks for all the great input.

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruita is pretty cool.....at least make a stop in the area if you are passing through -

pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove to Toroweap in my Bay Window bus. Google it. Most 4x4's would avoid that place. You can go lots of places in a bus (vanagon). It will be well worth your time. Go for it. I've spent many a night along the river on the 128 scenic by-way.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: