Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front brake floating caliper pins (looking for...)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Front brake floating caliper pins (looking for...) Reply with quote

Hey gang,

I'm replacing my front brake pads (88 Westy 2WD) and I found one of the floating caliper pins has a stripped female thread on it. Calling everywhere, I come up empty (short of spending $50 on a new caliper). Does anyone have a caliper pin sitting unused in their shop? Seattle area preferably, though I'll take anything I can get my hands on. No immediate hurry, though sooner's the better.

BTW, now I know better than to let front end rattles go for too long. In addition to that stripped pin, I found one of the main bolts holding the brake on to be missing, and the other one very loose. When backing up, the brake would flop backwards, dig into the wheel itself and lock up... Yowza!

Stephen

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The caliper pins are available on eBay brand new from time to time.

Two words for brake hardware....Red Loctite.
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys (and gals). I was able to find a very kind and knowledgeable gentleman at Goldline who said "Come on down, I have a whole box of these in various sizes". Indeed, due to his niche specialty (caliper rebuilding) he was able to match one up for me. After offering me four new rubber boots on top of that, he refused to take any money. My lucky day...

I have heard from anyone I've talked to about it that Loctite is the last thing you ever want to put on brake hardware. Loctite is supposed to loosen up under heat and brakes are designed to get hot. Loctite is worse than nothing at all (which is what the general consensus urges me to apply... nothing at all.) Some people advise using Anti-Seize goop, though it is a moisture attractant and the consensus once again is to not use it.

Stephen

Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vsyevolod wrote:
Thanks guys (and gals). I was able to find a very kind and knowledgeable gentleman at Goldline who said "Come on down, I have a whole box of these in various sizes". Indeed, due to his niche specialty (caliper rebuilding) he was able to match one up for me. After offering me four new rubber boots on top of that, he refused to take any money. My lucky day...

I have heard from anyone I've talked to about it that Loctite is the last thing you ever want to put on brake hardware. Loctite is supposed to loosen up under heat and brakes are designed to get hot. Loctite is worse than nothing at all (which is what the general consensus urges me to apply... nothing at all.) Some people advise using Anti-Seize goop, though it is a moisture attractant and the consensus once again is to not use it.

Stephen

Wrong on both accounts the calipers do not get that hot you would need a propane torch to melt loctite and petroleum based anti-seize will not mix with water.Most new brake hardware comes with blue loctite not red.That red stuff can be a pain in the neck if you do not know its there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why red paint pens are made.
Mark all hardware needing heat for removal.

In case you dont know, VW and other vehicle manufacturers make painted color marks on many different parts of the vehicle for reasons.
Alignment marks are white, suspension marks are yellow and green, blue and red designate threadlockers are used.
I do the same at my shop and have been contacted by many experienced wrenches thanking me for taking the time to do so.
Huge time saver and common practice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: