Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help designing wiring layout - tips
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Help designing wiring layout - tips Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Bought a 1985 Westfalia 2wd last month $2600. Well, i am taking it on a road trip from Miami to Nova Scotia in August. During this time i will be completing a Bostig Conversion, Big Brake Kit upgrade, whole new cooling system, whole new steering and suspension parts. Already purchased CLK320's, just need tires, yada yada yada. (I am trying not to look at the totals on my spreadsheet).

The area i don't have under control is wiring the electrical. I have read the threads on batteries, solar, propex, combiners, inverters, chargers, need i go on?

Here is what i am looking to do. I am looking to put another battery under the drivers seat (44ah probably so it fits with no issues) I have a blue seas fuse panel with 12 fused locations that is going to go under the drivers seat along with a blueseas acr or yandina combiner. (haven't decided which one)

I would like to run the radio, interior lights and 12v sockets off the aux. Also and edgestar or ARB fridge/freezer. I know there is an easy method for 86 - 91 vans, but i havent figured out if that is possible for my 85.

I need suggestions as to wiring diameter between batteries, wiring diameter to run to the back of the van for propex and future 12v plugs. (might even put some on the top as seen in other posts).

When we travel, we usually don't stay in one location more than 2 days, so i think for now, solar is out. Plus, i wont have anywhere on the roof to mount it with a yakima box and surfboards up there.

I would love to pull into a campsite (at a park) and plug into the available power so that i can charge batteries and run things without eating up the battery.

The bostig will have a high output alternator on it so charging should be a problem when on the road.

Maybe somebody can organize me and help me piece this together. I have total chaos going on in my brain managing the rest of this stuff.

Thanks in advance everyone. Smile
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a zetec turbo in my Westy and the Ford alternator is great. Never had any issues with it not charging/starting. Plus with the Zetec install the new harness will replace some of the wiring going to the starter. It doesn't replace the cable from the battery to starter but that was fine on my Westy.
For the aux battery I installed a yandina under drivers seat that required running a wire from the aux battery to the main battery. I was able to do this by using existing holes in the pedestals. The hole is for the seat belt indicator light wiring. I had to trim the black metal surround on the main battery for the wire to pass through but it also gave me more room in the main battery compartment.
I use a blue seas fuse panel,a 1000'watt invertor,and a charger behind the drivers seat. I can't recall the charger brand but its the same brand gowesty sells but it's for a single bank. The Yandina combines the batteries so a dual bank charger isn't needed. I can send you pictures through email. I can't post pictures with my iPhone.

Bill

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my aux fuse block under the sink and mounted it to the back wall so the cabinets could come out without too much trouble. I just ran a circuit up to the dash to power the stereo, power ports and a dash fan. I think on 86 and later you could remove a fuse and back feed the radio circuit, but on the older ones you can't.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I still use the stock Westy relay to charge the battery when the engine is on and seems to work OK. The fridge is connected to the aux fuse block so the good news it will stay on with the engine off, but will also run the aux battery down if you forget and leave it on. We only run the fridge on 12V while driving and go to shore power or propane when we get to where we are going. Next winter a new truck fridge will go in and we will have to re-configure things. I was thinking of using this unit for battery charging http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls15.htm and a Yandina isolator

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, any pics would be great.

Could i run a smaller fuse block from the bigger fuse block under the seat to the dash and then wire the radio and interior lights to it? What size gauge should i use for these runs from the 12v i want to put in the back, or this extra fuse block to the dash?

I have about 20 feet of marine grade 4 gauge to run from the alternator to the battery, and maybe in between batteries. (not sure if that is too much overkill)
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, since i don't have an 86+ that has that easy fuse 3 trick, what is the easiest way to get from all of that wired to the fuse block under the van? Should i run a smaller fuse block from under the dash and then one power cable all the way back to the fuse block under the drivers seat. (sort of a double fuse i guess? Or should i run one of the battery terminal post that you can split power off of. Like this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have 2 of those off a boat project.

Also, what size gauge wire should i run for all of these runs. Multiple 12v receptacles. One which will be powering a edgestar 12v fridge. Let me know everyone. Thanks. I have to get this all done in the next few weeks. Blue Seas ACR is on the way.
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any help guys and gals? Would like to order some wire tonight.
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ to +
ground to ground

That help

Maybe I'll come down and do it for you and bring the beers

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow man, that is all i needed to know. Real deep. Thanks for the offer, but i want to wire my own van. Rolling Eyes
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wands
Message me your email. Ill send you pictures of what I did.

Bill
87 Westy
Zetec Turbo
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been PM'ed. Thanks in advance Bill.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: