Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Northern California/Oregon Road Trip: Camping Suggestions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Northern California/Oregon Road Trip: Camping Suggestions Reply with quote

The fam and I are going to do a volcano/fly fishing roundabout trip in about a week and are asking for some tips and/or suggestions for camping spots.

From the central coast of California we plan to head up to Lassen --> Hat Creek --> Lava Beds National Monument. We may venture into the McCloud area a bit as well. We know and love that country pretty well but any new ideas are welcome.

We then plan to head into the Crater Lake region around the 4th of July time period. We want to avoid any yahoos with guns and fireworks (i.e. no Usal Road - sorry aswah). We like BLM land but I figure the national park there will be pretty safe.

Bend is next. We have a good friend up there we plan to visit so lodging there isn't a problem. We will then head off to Eugene where we have another friend waiting for us. We want to hit Three Sisters and some of central Oregon on the way. This is unexplored territory for us so any recs are more than welcome.

Thanks all!
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to Oregon. Too bad your avoiding the Coast because I can send you lots of info of rivers and secluded spots to stop at. Besides you can always stop in at my place for an oyster and clam feed pit stop.....

Alas, your cruising the "other" east side Rolling Eyes .

I have travelled these roads as well though. If you are coming from Crater Lake up to Bend on old 97 - a great road to travel- there are plenty of places to camp off of Forest Service roads, just pic one and find a landing or river spot. These are mostly dirt and gravel roads, totally passable for a 2WD, and usually devoid of drunken rednecks.

I would recommend the Sprague river Valley, to camp or even just to drive through. The Kalamath Tribe has done some amazing wetland and stream restoration work up there; may be some good fishing there as well. The Sprague Valley is beautiful, and secluded.

Going from Bend to Eugene, I would recommend taking the state route 242 (i think?) that heads west from Sisters and goes up to the Lava Fields observatory. I'm not positive if it's quite open yet, but local information will let you know if this scenic route is passable before you commit. From here are stunning views of the 3 Sisters Cascade Mtns; and plenty of day hiking. If your bringing your bikes you can cruise a piece of the Mckenzie River Trail, an awesome multi sectioned bike trail that follows the road west.

In Eugene, have your friend take you to the Ninkasi Brewery for a pint or two, and count the # of T1, T2, and T3's you can spot in an afternoon. Having any mechanical problems in Eugene, you can go see the folks at No Name Garage on the west side. They know VWs.

From there you may want to consider the 101 route back down south. You can follow the beautiful Umpqua river down to the ocean. The Smith River (one of many on the coast) flows into the lower Umpqua right before the town of Reedsport, great fly fishing river with one of the best runs on the coast for Steelhead and sea run Cuthroat. From there dally on south and pay us a visit in the Coos, check out the beautiful city of Bandon, Gold Beach, and of course the crown of the Coast the Chetco River at Brookings. Plenty of camping upon the river, within 10-20 miles up river. From here you are in Redwoods Country with plenty to see and do as you head south home......

Another worth while detour may be to head up another Smith River from Crescent City into Oregon's Illinois Valley. You can visit the world famous tree houses in Takilma, grab some good beer and pizza at Wild River Brewing and Pizza Company....(try the sauarkraut pizza!), and even head up to the Oregon Caves Monument before heading back to I5 at Grants Pass. keep in mind that I5 south of here has to go over 4-5 mountain passes before coming down into the Sacramento Valley.

Good Luck, happy trails and positive VW Vibrations!

Gee, this all sounds good. can I come? Laughing

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great beta. Thanks.

We don't have time to hit the coast this time but next time I will hit you up.

Now I have to start reading through aswah's posts and making up some camping grub. Razz

Kevin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: