Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water leak under the dash
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Replaced the antenna since it was broken and it didn't leak anymore.

x3

I had already done the windshield, the leak was only on the driver side
reivertribe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both lower corners of the windshield leak on my van. Plus when I removed my broken original antenna, I found that the metal there was deformed and created a nice little channel for water to just slip on inside.
PDX_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I bought a new seal and the winshield installation tool from van cafe but the bentley manual doesnt have any instructions on it. I was hoping the Bentley manual would have said something or the windshield installation tool would have come with instructions. Can anyone give me instructions on how an idiots replaces a windshield?
Camp&Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about $50, you can get a glass installer to put it in for you. If they break your windshield, usually they'll replace it. Worth the money?
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDX_Guy wrote:
OK. I bought a new seal and the winshield installation tool from van cafe but the bentley manual doesnt have any instructions on it. I was hoping the Bentley manual would have said something or the windshield installation tool would have come with instructions. Can anyone give me instructions on how an idiots replaces a windshield?

Super easy to do by yourself, lay the windshield with seal on on its face (carefully!), and start the rope at the middle top and work it all the way around and overlap where you once began. Now soap up both the window seal and window frame with soap and water in a spray bottle. Lay the window now in the frame and get it to seat by pounding around the corners and such. Sit in the drivers seat, reach your arm around and to the outside and apply pressure to that side and start to pull the string towards your arm, you will see the seal start to go over the lip, continue this by having your arm and hand apply pressure to where the string is, once the string is down the drivers side and close to the bottom do the same to the passenger side. Once both sides of the string are on the bottom of both sides, pull one side a couple inches past the middle and yank both sides, the rope should come free and the windshield should be now sealed. Go outside and push on the windshield to get it to fully seat. Done Very Happy

1973 Thing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and it was the window seal not having sealant on both rubber to glass and rubber on metal. I had mine resealed and it was fixed.

Have a look at this thread, lots of good help and photos.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388168&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny this post should come up now;
I've had this problem for a while too. I replaced the windshield and used used a new german seal (w/o trim) and there is no rust. Thought it cured it but, no. Passenger side quit leaking for a couple weeks but driver's side flooded. Sealled all the antenna, wiper & washers with beads of marine/window sealer to no avail. It does apparently come through that crack in the welded air duct. Pulled the grill and looked behind the glove box with a light: dry as a bone. I am officially stumped and resorted to using 'Sham-Wows' to absorb the flows! Rolling Eyes
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow-up:
After reading about so many windshields leaking, I used a putty knife to lift the NEW seal away from the body at all four corners and shoot common window sealer in the gap. I extended this bead about 6-8" in each direction and it cured the leaks on my floor, finally.
Hard to believe that a new German seal on a rust free body wasn't enough. For what it's worth.....
PDX_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follwo-up:

I used an old giftcard and some silicone to seal up the windshield and it seems to be holding. I will likely replace the seal and deal with any rust once the good weather has gone and the overwhelming desire to get away has subsided. Thanks for all the advice
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had success, hiding my head in the sand about the problem, with the thinned silicone caulk sold as windshield sealer. It is much thinner than regular silicone caulk and seeps under the rubber a bit. A little goes a long way.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: