Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine done with some '05 Mercedes S500 (so I was told) 16" x 6.5 et36, 7 spokes with 205 55 16 G.Y. Eagles, and no spacers. Very close to the upper control arms in front so I may end up with a small spacer, so far so good...no rubbing yet. Re-drilled holes to fit the 14 mm and went with "Van Cafe" studs @ 72mm and "RAD Direct" 55mm bolts up front.

Last edited by Mountain Haus on Thu May 19, 2011 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got this now.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bigsteveob wrote:
How bout these? 2007 A4 17" Any idea as to what would be needed to fit 'em?

Thanks Chris. If I can talk the guy down, I might go for 'em......They are sweet looking!
Ma'ili Pt Westy
Samba Member

Location: Woodside, California (located in Northern California)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: VW sticker for hubs Reply with quote

I just picked up a set of 15" euro wheels/tires for my 87 Westy. Anyone know where to I can get a set of "VW" stickers for the hubs?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VW sticker for hubs Reply with quote

Ma'ili Pt Westy wrote:
I just picked up a set of 15" euro wheels/tires for my 87 Westy. Anyone know where to I can get a set of "VW" stickers for the hubs?

ebay? or a sign/ sticker shop? Seems like a sign shop with a vinyl cutter could make up a set real quick.
tipsword
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stumbled onto this thread (what a whopper of a thread) and thought I'd share some too.

The top shot is of my current 90' multivan with the same Ronal 17"s as my 85' had on it. The 85' was on H&R pogo sticks (I wont ever run them again, Weitec is a much nicer ride) & 225/45 tires. Am running 215/55's now and my low back and kidneys are lots happier.

I'd love to go to a Mille Miglia cup wheel if I could find some.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gflater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: San Diego Tire and Wheel - got some nice 17x8!! Reply with quote

I was due for 5 new tires but considering the price and availability of Vanagon 14' rim tires I had started looking for new rims that would take more common tires.

I looked at some used Passat and Mercedes rims, prices starting at $300 for beaten up rims. Add tires, I'd be looking at $700 bucks total without knowing what I'd be getting.

Someone pointed me to San Diego Tire and Wheel www.sdtireandwheel.com

I drove away with:
17x8 ET32 TSW ASAN Gun Metal they have a red line inside which matches the red color of the van and brand new tires on them, for a not much more than trying to mess around with this by myself. These guys really know their job.

These rims fit straight, the only issue we encountered was the grease caps in the front which we solved using a 8mm spacer. If I'd modify the grease caps to take off the lip, they would fit without spacer.

They used longer lugs in the front (come with with the rims) and different nuts on the back, using the original studs in the back.
Even the screw that holds the rear break drum on in the back was not an issue with these rims.

The guys at the shop were very friendly and very helpful, we tried a couple of rims, put tires on them mounted them to see the result and whether they would fit/rub and have all the hardware available.

If you are in the San Diego area and shopping for rims & tires, this is the place I would recommend.

Here are some pictures:

[/img]
speedtek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225/50R17's I assume?

Looks good on the van
gflater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedtek wrote:
225/50R17's I assume?

Looks good on the van

Thanks! They are Falken 225/45
Its a stiffer, bumpier ride, but way better handling and stability.
speedtek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gflater wrote:
speedtek wrote:
225/50R17's I assume?

Looks good on the van

Well, at least they're XL's, but a 94 load rating is pushing it.....I ran 95 XL's for a year, but I know they were below borderline as far as load capacity is concerned. The 912's will wear pretty quick on you as well. I think I would have a chat with your tire shop and show them your min specs sticker on the drivers door. If you want to run an all season that will give you proper profile (with those wheels) and load specs..go with a Kumho Ecsta LX 225/50-17. The Kumho's will also last 3 times longer for tread wear....way better UTQG.
gflater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedtek wrote:
gflater wrote:
speedtek wrote:
225/50R17's I assume?

Looks good on the van

Well, at least they're XL's, but a 94 load rating is pushing it.....I ran 95 XL's for a year, but I know they were below borderline as far as load capacity is concerned. The 912's will wear pretty quick on you as well. I think I would have a chat with your tire shop and show them your min specs sticker on the drivers door. If you want to run an all season that will give you proper profile (with those wheels) and load specs..go with a Kumho Ecsta LX 225/50-17. The Kumho's will also last 3 times longer for tread wear....way better UTQG.

Thanks for your concern, I will keep it in mind.
I was thinking, considering the van empty is about 5200 lbs, the load rating on the tires is 1477, that gives me about 700lbs load before I exceed that load rating. This is not a Westfalia or hauler, just my casual, socal long distance/camping vehicle.
Works for me...
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gflater wrote:
speedtek wrote:
gflater wrote:
speedtek wrote:
225/50R17's I assume?

Looks good on the van

I was thinking, considering the van empty is about 5200 lbs, the load rating on the tires is 1477, that gives me about 700lbs load before I exceed that load rating. This is not a Westfalia or hauler, just my casual, socal long distance/camping vehicle.
Works for me...

That passenger van should be well under 4000 lbs empty. My '84 GL is 3380 lbs and my '86 Westy Weekender is ~3800 lbs.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speedtek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gflater wrote:

Works for me...

Lol..... Laughing ......actually, it never even clicked when I looked at your pics that it isn't a westy.....
94 load rating XL's should be just fine...
poptop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I grabbed these MB rims for my auto 2wd westy. 5x112 16 x 8 possible Offset +42mm. not 100%
need the usual help on fittament. here was an old thread and did some research but could use some guru action. I will post pics in a bit but the link has pics and specs i think.mercedes 1634010202 Ed
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=270428&start=0

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop wrote:
Hey guys, I grabbed these MB rims for my auto 2wd westy. 5x112 16 x 8 possible Offset +42mm. not 100%
need the usual help on fittament. here was an old thread and did some research but could use some guru action. I will post pics in a bit but the link has pics and specs i think.mercedes 1634010202 Ed

Hi Ed,

You know, as good as those wheels look on a Vanagon, the 8" width just does not play nice on a 2wd. You end up pushing the wheels way too far outboard just to gain the necessary clearance between the tires and the upper control arms. A Syncro has completely different front suspension which is why they can work there, but not on a 2wd.

And just for the record, the offset on those is 62mm, not 42mm.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
poptop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now what? Non refundable! Is there Absolutly no way to use them. If not I cAn try to find narrower ones for the front. Or these sweet rims are up for grabs. Uhgg
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the deal! We can build adapters to physically bolt them onto your van (you will need adapters because the difference in offset is too great to make up with traditional spacers). However, the front offset will be way off from ideal and the front wheels will most like be sticking out of the fender openings a bit. The rear track width will be much narrower than the front because we have to tuck the rears in enough to clear the sliding door. In my opinion, all of that conspires against the installation on a 2wd. If you are determined to install them, regardless of the negative effects, we can definitely help you do that, but I wouldn't recommend it.

That style of wheel was available in Europe in a 16x6½ ET47, but they were never imported into the US. If you can find a pair in Europe, yes, you could definitely use those on the front.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
poptop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a couple 6.5s on ebay but that creats issues for rotations. They look sweet. I'll see what i can find. In the meantime if anyone needs them for a syncro pm me.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new owner of the Atiwe 7s and 9s I had for sale a while ago has just sent me some photos...

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Santana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a sharp looking van! I see you are from Oregon, did u by chance happen to be up in Washington on the Key Peninsula last weekend? Pretty sure I spotted you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Page 75 of 173

Jump to: