Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

i recommend testing that new thermostat out of the box
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: i recommend testing that new thermostat out of the box Reply with quote

i just tested two thermostats (both behr)--the stock one that was in my van when i bought it and the 80-degree one i got from van cafe. both failed to open.

this explains a lot.

do they not test these coming off the line?
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct that: the 80-celsius t-stat opened, but only after a minute or so at a sustained boil. the stock one opened ever so slightly, about a nickel's width.

i live above 4000 feet, so water does boil at a lower temperature here. still, i expected the 80C model to open well below boiling.

on a positive note, i finally got my dash lights working! it was a faulty dimmer switch, which i bypassed with a little bit of copper wire. 58b to 58. so nice to know how fast i'm not going.

**i edited the pin numbers on the headlight switch to read correctly. i should not post at the end of these nocturnal wrenching sessions.

Last edited by duderanchero on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should test the thermostat just to be sure. I found thermostats and the sendors for the temp guage to vary widely from manufactures and part to part. Plus its a lot easier to test a part before you go through bleeding your entire coolant system to only find out something is wrong.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duderanchero wrote:
correct that: the 80-celsius t-stat opened, but only after a minute or so at a sustained boil. the stock one opened ever so slightly, about a nickel's width.

i live above 4000 feet, so water does boil at a lower temperature here. still, i expected the 80C model to open well below boiling.

A thermostat will begin opening at its rated temperature and is not fully open for another 7 to 14 degrees. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know it's not an automatic, bam-now-it's-open kind of thing, but i had to keep that sucker at a boil for a while before it began opening at all (and it's supposed to start at 176F). the unpressurized system i'm about to run will be a fun way to really test it out.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a week ago I ran a non-pressurized system with the Libby Bong to get home, a very short distance.
Interesting info from tencent here that you might want to know about.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5408876&highlight=#5408876
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the info, levi. tencent's posts, while sometimes over my head, have been very elucidating. i understand that pressurization raises the boiling point. but i've had hellacious times with air bubbles, and the last overheating (after ~7 minutes of driving) left coolant spewing from the head gasket. i need to replace it, but i need a short-term solution, and keeping the pressure down/glycol up seems like a good one. morymob's been running with no pressure since '92, and claims no problems.

if it doesn't work out, i've got a spare, hole-free pressure cap. the 105-degree heat here in el paso should let me know pretty soon whether it works or not in the short run. as far as the long run goes, i plan to find a duffel bag full of cash and hash, and these and other problems will be easily addressed.

james
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: