Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things Across the Sahara
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Things Across the Sahara Reply with quote

My mom just came back from Germany, and a friend of hers there knew a guy who just got back from the Sahara. He went with two other guys. He drove a Land Cruiser, and the other two guys drove Things! They drove across the entire desert without a guide. My mom knew I'd be interested, so she took pictures of some of their pictures:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Maybe some German Sambanistas know these guys, and can get some of the other pics. I'd like to hear the stories about this trip. This is the kind of hardcore driving the VW181 was made for!
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that trip looks like it was a blast! It's nice to see other people actually use their Thing rather than keep it parked in a garage. They are great off road vehicles and are fun to use them as such. If you carry a come along and some straps then you can go just about as far as if you had a four wheel drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about if we just enjoy VW's here and leave the politics to some other site(s)
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll think about your suggestion and make a decison about in the next couple of weeks. I don't want to make a rash decision. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Things Across the Sahara Reply with quote

Big Luni wrote:
Maybe some German Sambanistas know these guys

Hello

I think that you should get in touch with Ralf Kurschewitz if you want more details about these pictures.

http://www.ralfs-vw-teile.de/unterhaltung/libyen1999/galerie/04.htm

This link is about a previous trip in North Africa (1999).

Email: [email protected]

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA

Last edited by pjmacua on Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
I'll think about your suggestion and make a decison about in the next couple of weeks. I don't want to make a rash decision. Wink

Im surprised you didnt say vote early....and often! The Democrat mantra.
How a military man could vote for Kerry is beyond me. Kerry dis-respected, & dis-respects those in the military early and OFTEN.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
As long as the post and poster have some connection to Things, i have no issue with political opinions in their sigs. If a poster with a poltical agenda came in here just to argue politics, then I'd have an issue.

I am not going to ask a contributor to edit his sig.

If anyone has any interest in political debate, go to the "political thread' in the Rants. That is the proper forum for it.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways, Rolling Eyes back to the original subject.

How many times did they have to dig themselves out of the sand?
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard there were a few times one would get stuck and would ahve to get pulled out by the others, and there were a few breakdowns too- but the guy driving the Land Cruiser said that whenever one of the Things broke down, the two VW guys were at their happiest- figuring out what the problem was & fixing it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: