Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Cleaner Question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Air Cleaner Question Reply with quote

Dumb question here, but how do you change the oil in the air cleaner? Do you need to take the whole thing off? What's involved? Just wanted to check w/ you guys before I take it apart & screw something up...
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to the owner's manual you have to remove everything - the preheater hose, the two vacuum hoses, the fuel tank breather hose on the back side, the crankcase breather on the oil filler and the intake rubber boot. then undo the two clips on the mounting bracket and it comes out.

in fact you can take the bottom part off with the assembly still in the car, if you are inclined. remove the rubber intake boot. loosen the clips on the bracket but leave them attached . undo the clips that hold the lower part to the upper, and move the main body of the filter upwards, you should be able to get the lower oil reservoir free and clear.
Andromeda451
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Oil Bath Aircleaner Reply with quote

Big,

You need to pull the entire assembly and soak the cylinder (the one with coir in it) in kerosene for an hour or so. While that's happening empty the lower oil reservoir cup and remove with a popsicle stick or oither implement of destruction the crud that's in the bottom. Clean the Snorkel assembly of any crud build up with kerosene and a brush. BTW "coir" is fibered coconut shell and will last forever so long as it's treated properly. Then drain the coir filled cylinder of kerosene , add oil (sae30 is good) to the oil bath cup to the red line and reinstall the unit. Don't forget the rear hose from the fuel evap system!

Andromeda451
73 Type 181
74 Type 181
jerrything
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO NOT A DUMB QUESTION

Unless you are in an extremely dusty envirement
I would at 3000 miles or so service the filter.
I would only change the oil in the filter.
just release the clips holding the lower oil bowl
slide it out and dump it, re fill it and re install.
The good thing about that filter is it can go for thousands of miles
before you really need to wash it out in solvent
if you are in a clean envirement.
Maybe enery third time I would do the complete service
by washing it out in solvent.
Another neat thing about it is it just unclips from its mount.

This is only my opinion I dont know what the book says
JC

jerrything
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I forgot that the oil is drawn up into the wire mesh when you are on a crusing engine speed or reving the engine
and when you shut off the engine the oil drains back down into the bowl washing all the debris back down with it, really an efficent system.
on the bottom of the bowl is were all the dirt lives.

JC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: