Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me understand - GMC fuel pump price
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Help me understand - GMC fuel pump price Reply with quote

My fuel pump went out on my GMC. I usually do all my own work, but I don't really have desire to drop the tank. So I called a local shop who is trusted in our area, just to see what the prices would be. I understand that parts get marked up when you go through a shop, but when he quoted me I was a bit floored…..over $900 dollars to drop the tank and replace the unit.

The fuel pump/sending unit was marked up from 261 all the way to 612!
I'm certain they would have just went down to flaps and purchased the same one available to the public. I just cant understand how someone could mark something up double the cost…is this the norm?

Well, I don't have that kinda money, nor would I spend that kinda money..so for $ 261, I dropped the tank myself…on my back, in the gravel, on a hill, and replaced it in 2 hours…it sucked and the gravel was very uncomfortable…but felt much better than taking it in the wallet for 900.

I guess I just never thought to much about mark ups on prices and hyped up labor prices/hours…but this place was set to get me…I used to recommend them to others..but I think they may be lower on my list after this experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even at the dealer, our GM pump is less money than that. Yes there is a substantial parts mark up, but yikes! If you really do trust that shop, perhaps you can ask them WTF! That's over a 100% markup.The labor should have been around 2-3.5 hours. So 3.5 x whatever their labor rate is (ours is $99 per hour), plus the part plus tax. By the way, what kind of GMC is it? A lot of times, on pick-up trucks you can unbolt the bed on one side and lift it up giving you access to the top of the tank and it will take MUCH less time.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help me understand Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
My fuel pump went out on my GMC.

what kind of GMC?
and yes,.it can be that expensive to get someone else to do it.
depending on the GMC it can be a royal PITA.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever think they don't really want to do the job? That's what my mechanic does sometimes.

Last edited by The Sage on Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts markup at VW dealers was typically 100%. I used to read upside down as the parts guy thumbed through his price list at the parts counter back in the '70s. Shop-to-shop costs had about half that markup.

It's not all profit. Out of that markup comes space rent for inventory, the parts guy's salary, and a few other incidentals, and of course, profit.

I can't speak to your truck specifically, but with all the plumbing on modern car tanks for emissions, and the cramped working spaces, it can be a real pain to do the work. They charge accordingly.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

It's not all profit. Out of that markup comes space rent for inventory, the parts guy's salary, and a few other incidentals, and of course, profit.

Doesn't the wholesale parts warehouse where the dealer or garage gets the parts from have the same expenses?

And keep in mind if that pump fails under the warranty period, the installer has to eat the labor to replace it for you the second time.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a GMC Jimmy 4X4…I'm thinking they probably didn't want to do the job. I had always wanted to get the fuelpump/unit changed because the gas gauge didn't work…just never felt like yanking the tank…but really it wasn't bad…the worst part about it was pulling the fuel lines. I bought the cheap 8$ line tool that didn't work the best so it took a little cussing to get the lines, but other than that…it was really easy….I had the tank out in 30 minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 900 he shoulda told you smoking and cuddling were thrown in after he was done...

We got a job in the other day...parts in a box,and the customer didnt tell us the issue,just 'reseal the valve'...so we did as told,8 hours labor plus parts,went to run the function and it was obvious the valve failed internally...called customer who said 'yeah i forgot to tell you that...'well, we didnt forget to tell him it will cost over double what it should to get his tractor back..
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hopes that you did use a GM pump it will last..how many miles on the truck. Keep the gas tank more then a 1/4 full, helps keep the pump cool.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ussrrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that on the G.M. pump, I work as a fleet mech for a beverage company and have a bunch of G.M. vans and we have had bad luck with the aftermarket pumps maybe lasted a year or two at the most. Went back to O.E.M. pumps and have not had any problems. We pay a bit more but save on extra tow bills. Just wish the driver's would not always run the fuel down to almost empty ya think they were paying for the fuel themself.
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shops try to take advantage.
As part of a tuneup on my wife's Expedition yesterday (there's no way you're getting me to change those plugs), the local Firestone wanted $114 to change the fuel filter; $54 for the filter and $60 in labor.
I bought the filter for $20 and changed it in in less than 5 minutes in the driveway this morning, no tools required except a screwdriver to get the cover off.
What I hate is no discount for doing something in the same area. For instance, the coils have to be removed to change the spark plugs, but you can't get a labor discount to change the coil boots. I should've had them put it back together after the plugs, then take it apart again to do the boots, just to get my money's worth.
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I killed the pump by running it low. I ran out of gas last week and only put a little back in it….so the pump probably did get hot. I'll make sure I keep gas in it this time…cause for the first time with this truck I have a working gas gauge! The truck only has 89,000 miles on it and its a 2000..bought it off an old man who used it as a sunday driver.
drnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the oem gm pump almost anywhere, ask for the Delphi unit- that's who makes them for gm.
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inaccurate fuel gauge was a bit of a problem with those. Let me guess, it would run out of gas when it showed a 1/4 tank? The new tank unit will take care of it permanently.

As far as the part mark-up, I'm still baffled. I'm going to check cost vs. list price on that pump when I get to work tomorrow out of curiosity. I think the list price is $475-$525, for a GM pump at a GM dealer with a 12 mo. 12,000 mile warranty, which if installed at a GM dealer, covers parts AND labor.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A garage was fixed some oil leaks in a 1988 Frontier for my daughter on a Saturday (staying late to fix it), including labor for replacing the oil sender for $44 ($18 for the part). Unfortunately, a day later (a Sunday), she brought it to me as the oil sender was leaking. It wasn't loose, so I installed an $8 one from O'Reillys.

The shop did refund the parts cost, but would not refund the labor, said they would've replaced it for no charge themselves. She told them that if I hadn't replaced it, they'd be fighting over the cost of an engine replacement instead !!! The sender replacement of course took 5 minutes, and then 10 minutes watching to make sure there was no leak. I think the shop saw no oil on the ground, figured it was OK. But it was leaking onto the engine protection bottom cover.

Bottom line - as many of us know here - you can do a better job yourself most times, because you have vested interest and care.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pump I got had some Delphi logos on some of the electrics…I hope it lasts for a while. While inspecting the old pump I could clearly see why the fuel gauges fail on these trucks.

The float arm connects to a pivot point which has two small spring steel contacts (similar to what you would find on the bottom of a HO slot car) these contacts rub on a board where the signal is transferred…the contact area of these shoes are segmented…and over time they wear through and break off…then they never contact the resistance board…sometimes the remnants of the shoes will contact the board…so occasionally the gauge will work, but not accurately.

Unfortunately the new unit is made exactly the same way, no improvements in the failure area…so I expect the gauge to quit working one of these days, probably the day after the warranty goes….

To bad they wouldn't sell, just the contacts…they are clearly replaceable..I can pop them right out with a screw driver. Sad
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in the Detroit area and need GM parts give Coach and Motor a call next time. We use them for all our GM OE and AC Delco OE and aftermarket parts. The money you save will be big.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will do…if anyone drives a GMC Jimmy…they need all the help they can get.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: