Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will a 5.43 R/P fit in a 2wd 4spd transaxle...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Will a 5.43 R/P fit in a 2wd 4spd transaxle... Reply with quote

And if so, are they difficult/expensive to come by?

Also, how do they compare to 4.86 in terms of strength and reliability?
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, stronger, how much?? debatable.
About $1000 NEW from Weedle.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: gearing Reply with quote

What are you trying to achieve with the 5.43?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
Yup, stronger

I thought there is more teeth on the 5:43 which would indicate them being smaller thus weaker. I could be wrong though Confused

1973 Thing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeck2 wrote:
Wellington wrote:
Yup, stronger

I thought there is more teeth on the 5:43 which would indicate them being smaller thus weaker. I could be wrong though Confused
I believe you are correct
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing with an online gear calculator (http://www.rearendparts.com/pages.php?pageid=16) and playing with numbers. Based on my current set-up I think I might benefit from the numerically larger final drive ratio.

I've got a heavy 2wd Westy (about 5000 lbs. before gear and passengers), with a chipped 1.8T (~240 Lb-ft of torque at 3000 rpm, ~210 hp at 5000 rpm), a 0.77 4th gear, and 28" tall tires. This is a great set-up, but when loaded down is not as "peppy" for obvious reasons. I figured if I could increase the RPMs a bit at each gear it would put me squarely in the sweet spot of the power band, 2500-5000 RPMs, earlier, reduce my reliance on high boost pressures, and keep it there longer for my driving style.

Plugging numbers into the calculator, I discovered that my current set-up with a 5.43 almost perfectly matches VWs stock gearing with a 4.86 final drive and 25.7" tires, typically within 100 RPMs or so until 4th gear. It would also lend a bit more low end torque earlier in the range to get that heavy beast moving off the line a bit quicker. I also think it may improve my gas mileage on longer drives somewhat (speculating here) due to higher RPMs and a bit less boost pressure when driving through the mountains - everywhere I go seems to be uphill.

Anyway, just thinking out loud and thought I'd ask if the R&P would even fit before I go any further. Also wondering if it will hold up to the extra power. Any additional thoughts from the gearing gurus here?
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeck2 wrote:
Wellington wrote:
Yup, stronger

I stand corrected, the lower the ratio the stronger
for 2wd, available from Weddle.
4.13 strongest
5.83 weakest
Weakest is relative, I don't think you will break it, just you will probably wear ALL of them out faster than the rest of us.
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 ... why not give Daryl a call .. straight info from the fellow who builds them.

http://www.aatransaxle.com/

To contact:

(425)788-4070

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrydog411 wrote:
1621 ... why not give Daryl a call .. straight info from the fellow who builds them.

http://www.aatransaxle.com/

To contact:

(425)788-4070

[email protected]

Thanks, I plan to, just throwing it out on the Samba to see if anyone knew if it fits. I'll give him a call this week and see what he has to say about playing with gears.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a 5.43 will fit, and yes it is slightly weaker, but I think your problem is your .77 4th

> I discovered that my current set-up with a 5.43 almost perfectly matches VWs stock gearing with a 4.86 final drive and 25.7" tires, typically within 100 RPMs or so until 4th gear.

I agree a 5.43 ring and pinion would make your gearing close to stock. Except for your 4th which is a big gap away from 3rd.

But you can get the exact same effect without going to a 5.43, by just going to 25.7" tires, and making no changes to your transmission. I think changing tires is cheaper. You would still have the big gap between 3rd and 4th though.

Ideally, I would just take out the .77 4th and put the .85 back in. You would be fine with your current 28" tire and ring and pinion if you do that. That produces 10% tall gearing accross the board, no big gap between 3rd and 4th. This is probably the best match to your motor.

I look forward to hearing how things work out.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5.43 was available in the 4 speed, 5 speed and Syncro tranny from VW. Keep in mind that the ring gear has 38 teeth and the pinion has 7 compared to the 34 Ring and 7 Pinion of a 4.86 so it is not necessarily "weak".
The 5.83 and 6.17 R&P have less teeth on the pinion shaft making them more prone to failure but with hard use/abuse anything is possible.
GoWesty has them, Weddle supplies them, Albins in OZ makes them, Rancho can get them too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: