Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

58lolight wrote:
Kharon8 wrote:
58lolight wrote:
Kharon8 wrote:

But it's time to think some other carburator/inlet -solution now. Stock Solex 34pict3 would be easiest and funniest to test as the engine is way too large for that carburator. Smile

Put on a set of dual carburators and problem solved!

This is currently under serious consideration: Another used DRLA 40, inlets to both (side mount) and some additional parts. Not a cheap solution though.

Why not just pick up a set of used Kadrons and save up for the DLRA's?
Just a thought?

Not bad thought at all. I think I can afford one (two if necessary) DRLAs and intake manifolds and everything, but it's currently just a thought. Wink

I know I can get a cheap chinese Weber-knockoff set for about 600 euros and that includes "everything" for dual set, just the quality is big question mark.

I also put a WTB announcement to local vw-forums, we'll see what happens. There's a lot of suitable parts for sale here but freight and taxes raises the price very fast.
But that's one alternative.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yowman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Checked out clutch cable Reply with quote

Friday I had it towed home due to a clutch cable malfunction. Took about 3-1/2 hours.

Today I consulted my Chilton's for Very Basic Information, then had my wife steer while I pushed to manuever it to a better place inside the garage. Jacked it up and put it on jack stands. Rolled underneath on creeper to see what the issue was. Removed left rear wheel for better access to the adjuster end, found that the issue was at the pedal end of the cable. Removed carpet and rubber mat. Disconnected gas pedal. Had my wife steer while I pushed to turn it around 180 degrees, so next time I can work on it where it is! Now that I know what is wrong I can do it all over...after figuring out how to remove the pedal assembly, then remove the cable and get a new cable set up.
pitbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Roof Rack Reply with quote

I finally got my Roof Rack on my "Pearl". I got it from Craigslist for $100!!!!! Laughing had it powder coated for $100 Very Happy wood slats from Lowe's $25.... Looks Pricele$$ Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58lolight wrote:
Put bumpers on the Ghia yesterday. Didn't notice how crappy they were until I put them on the car. Gonna be needing some blades in the future. Freaking sucks!

They look good in the photos. I would guess they are in better shape than mine are.

Speaking of mine, the cork in my fuel tank sender got itself stuck. I should have known the half tank was lasting way to long. Luckily the restaurant I coasted into was open (it was a holiday) and the guy there loaned me a full can of fuel.
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
58lolight wrote:
Put bumpers on the Ghia yesterday. Didn't notice how crappy they were until I put them on the car. Gonna be needing some blades in the future. Freaking sucks!

They look good in the photos. I would guess they are in better shape than mine are.

Speaking of mine, the cork in my fuel tank sender got itself stuck. I should have known the half tank was lasting way to long. Luckily the restaurant I coasted into was open (it was a holiday) and the guy there loaned me a full can of fuel.

The car photographs way better than it looks in person but thanks...

Drove it to work on Tuesday and will hopefully do so again on Friday. The car hasn't been on the road in three years so I want to check everything mechanical now that I have put 50 miles on it. Really miss driving it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having new floor pans installed. No more Fred Flintstone braking system Very Happy
Yowman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: What did I do to my Ghia this week? Reply with quote

Replaced clutch cable and Bowden tube...next up is a valve adjustment, new valve cover gaskets and an oil change!
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post in this forum. I have a T3, but have been working on my wife's 73 Ghia this weekend.

It's set up for full flow and a couple of the nuts holding the pump cover were mostly stripped and unable to torque. So when the car was running it leaked a LOT of oil from the pump cover and would drip on the exhaust when driving. I took the tin and pulley off, drilled (with a drill bit cut in half to fit under there), tapped, and then used helicoils on all 4 of the holes being very careful not to get any shavings in the pump cavity. Then I installed 8mm studs with red loctite into the helicoils, reassembled with a very thin layer of silicone, adjusted the valves, and oil change. No more oil leak! And a picture after I used some degreaser to clean up.

70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
First post in this forum. I have a T3, but have been working on my wife's 73 Ghia this weekend.

Did you put the type 3 case into that car?
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
Did you put the type 3 case into that car?

No. It's a universal case, VW Brazil. PO had an engine fire a few years back so it got a new case with the rebuild. So after the fire, where's the fuel filter now? In the engine compartment! Maybe relocating the filter to up under by the tranaxle will be a project for next week.
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the Ghia out at it's first show in three years. Connecticut Volkswagen Association's Volks Meet 2011!

Thanks for the picture Shano63.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I can imagine it was a thrill to finally drive your Ghia again after 3 years. Wheels and satin paint finish look great; glad I could see it in person and catch up hearing about your work with you. Hope you achieve a good solution for your seats.

My Ghia activity was to also drive it to the same meet, then another approx. 3 1/2 hrs via northwest CT to get home. My engine hard-start relay's 15amp fuse blew while on a lunch stop, but I did not diagnose that until I was home. So I got going again by push-starting the car in the parking lot and keeping it running while filling up gas Confused . Once at home, a new fuse cured the no-start hard start. Also I adjusted the Berg carb linkage ever so slightly to make sure the right carb opens exactly when the left one does. Don't get excited everyone; it's simply a totally stock dual-port 1600 with Weber 40IDFs...
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally stock with 40 IDF's - whats that like?
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: whiteline sway bar Reply with quote

My '71 Ghia didn't have a sway bar when I bought it a few years ago, so I installed one.

Charley
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Totally stock with 40 IDF's - whats that like?"

Definitely additional power, mostly felt at highway speeds and above. I actually should have correctly said "stock internals" since it has a good 009 distrib., a Berg 1 3/8" Ghia header and a single quiet muffler. Stock-valve heads are also home-ported...

Plan this weekend is to change over to another 40IDF set which has the vacuum pipe for a vacuum advance distributor (the current IDFs on there now do not), install a new SVDA distrib. from aircooled.net, and a set of Berg 1.4:1 rocker arms with shortened chromoly pushrods. I'll post back here with driving impressions afterwards.
InSaNeBoY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Sniff*... sold it, Tuesday.

Today (thursday) a friend sends me a picture... the ghia with a trashed rear pumper. it looks like a pole shaped indent Rolling Eyes waiting on more details.

*ghialess*
InSaNeBoY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InSaNeBoY wrote:
*Sniff*... sold it, Tuesday.

Today (thursday) a friend sends me a picture... the ghia with a trashed rear pumper. it looks like a pole shaped indent Rolling Eyes waiting on more details.

Apparently it's dodge stratus driven by an inattentive driver shaped.

*ghialess*
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggled last week to get the timing right on my supercharged engine. Running-on...back off the timing a little and the engine runs rough pulling away. Confused Just can't get the right balance.

The Shorrock instructions recommend a total advance of 26 degrees at 1500-6000 rpm but having set the timing by the static method or just by ear for the last 30 years...I can't face learning how to use my Gunson Tachostrobe again. Embarassed

Lying in bed last night the answer dawned on me...last time I filled up the filling station only had 95 RON gas d'oh! Shall I wake Jacqui and tell her the good news? Hmmm maybe not...

Filled her up with 97 RON gas this morning and she's running sweet as a nut...car's going great too. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randyharwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brought home my first ghias last week. Needed something to keep my '70 Bug company. Both 71's, one vert (complete) one coupe (rolling parts/autocross car) and now comes the fun part. This week I am going to start the cleanup process. The vert has been sitting under a tree for the last 4 years and has been "protected" by all the tree sap covering it. Any tricks and tips would be appreciated.
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and visited my Ghia at the body shop. They are getting the car apart for body work. Getting excited finally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 166

Jump to: