Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carrying bikes?? ( i know i know)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you carry bikes?
Stap on carrier
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Hitch
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
throw em' the back (NON CONVERTIBLE)
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
throw em' in the back (CONVERTIBLE)
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
strap it the the bumper (front or back and please explain)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Schnitzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: carrying bikes?? ( i know i know) Reply with quote

Ive seen some posts about this topic, but cant really seem to get a good idea of how it's done, i have a hatch/coupe style strap on (dont go there) style rack, and I read i should mount the staps to the sides (i have deck lid stand offs) and to the bumper on the bottom, but what about the top straps? I see people say they strap it to the vents above the decklid (74 super) i don't really see too much of a problem with this, just worried about bending the vents (only a two bike rack with about 40 lbs on it ) no rust there but still worried has anyone done this or can give me a link to someone who has or even better with pictures? P.S. i don't have the resources for a hitch, so thats out of the question for now, this is my daily driver along with my bike and i would like them to be friends. Smile
JRKman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the yakima 1-A gutter mounts can be fitted
Schnitzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRKman wrote:

thought i should add roof mounts are way out of my budget. trying to work with what i have, nothing for cross country trips, just about 30 min away.
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a $179.00 roof rack, then bought the front fork carriers from a bike shop and mounted them to the roof rack. I use a bungee cord to hold the rear wheel down. I dont have a pic with bikes on it, but you can get the idea. And the bikes are great to have if your vw ever breaks down, imagine that Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonBaker wrote:
I bought a $179.00 roof rack, then bought the front fork carriers from a bike shop and mounted them to the roof rack. I use a bungee cord to hold the rear wheel down. I dont have a pic with bikes on it, but you can get the idea. And the bikes are great to have if your vw ever breaks down, imagine that Rolling Eyes

That's exactly the same set up I have Very Happy
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank, do you just put the rack on when your riding?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnitzel,

At last, someone else with the same delima that I have. I do not want to carry bikes on my roof as I am no longer allowed to lift anything heavy, nor strain my back trying to put something on the roof of my car. I am looking for a bike rack that goes on the rear of my bug too. I just haven't found any rack dealer willing to assist me in trying to figure out if their bike rack would work or not. One went so far as to tell me that I could purchase their rack, try it out, if it didn't work, pay to ship it back again. I don't think so!

What kind of rack do you have? Sounds like something that I would be willing to try. Any pictures?

As far as hooking something into the vents above the engine lid, I think there was some sort of ski holder that locked into those fins that was an accessory one could buy at the dealer. So I would think for short drives with the bikes on the back, I think the vents are more than strong enough to work.
Thanks Carl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have neck and back problems and getting it on top of the car can be a chore sometimes. I am interested in another way. I have scratched the top of my car a few times lifting it up there too. There is a luggage rack that goes over the decklid and you could probably mount the front fork plate on it. The pedals might cause a problem with the back window though?
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnitzel wrote:
JRKman wrote:

thought i should add roof mounts are way out of my budget. trying to work with what i have, nothing for cross country trips, just about 30 min away.

huh? you can't afford a roof rack and you can't afford a hitch rack. so what is it exactly that you're asking? my recommendation: greyhound bus.

i use a towing hitch and hitch rack on my '79 vert. total cost was very inexpensive, 180 bucks i think for both components. carries two bikes and i don't have to lift them up high either.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmitzel is asking if it is OK to place the top hooks of his strap on bike carrier into the air vent under the rear window. He already has the bike rack, so it wouldn't cost him any more $.

The same question I have, if I can ever find a strap on bike rack for the rear of my bug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne_71SB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last thing I would do is fasten fork clamps to a regular roof rack... I'm pretty sure the rack was never designed for that kind of a load, and it's just a matter of time (in my opinion) before something gives and your bike is tumbling down the road behind you. I'd only run a rack designed for that, either from Thule or Yakima.

An option I used while in college was a Thule trunk rack. Not the ideal solution, but it worked well. Today I would just install a hitch and use my Thule T2 that gets used on my other car, too.

Gonzales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a flat 4 roof rack like the earlier post. Just put the bike on upside own and tied it down with velcro straps and rope.

I got tired of that so sold the rack cos i couldnt handle the constant whistling noise when driving! Got a rag top so sound was v annoying.

Ive got a rear mount one but always thought it wouldnt fit but the yellow bug makes me tink i might give it a shot.

Something to do tomorrow!
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a folding bike... fits in the trunk Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwayne_71SB wrote:
The last thing I would do is fasten fork clamps to a regular roof rack... I'm pretty sure the rack was never designed for that kind of a load, and it's just a matter of time (in my opinion) before something gives and your bike is tumbling down the road behind you. I'd only run a rack designed for that, either from Thule or Yakima.

An option I used while in college was a Thule trunk rack. Not the ideal solution, but it worked well. Today I would just install a hitch and use my Thule T2 that gets used on my other car, too.

That's the same setup I use on my vert. Works great

CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So does anyone know which Thule bike rack this is? I have been on their site and none of them seem to match.

Thanks

Carl
Glücklich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those considering roof racks (not Carl, I know), the Thule universal setup for all cars with rain gutters works well. I've got the "High Foot Pack" (medium height of three available heights for the towers), the regular 50 in. load bars, and the 44 in. fairing against wind noise (wider than Thule recommends, but I found that 38 in. does not quite cover the towers). Then you need the actual bike carriers of your choice (fork mount or whole bike), plus some lock inserts if you want to protect against theft.

I was pretty shocked what all of this added up to in terms of $$ (over 400, if I recall), but it is rock solid and really quiet at highway speed. Since they are universal, perhaps others are luckier than I was and happen upon a good deal for a used one.

BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlIseminger wrote:
OK. So does anyone know which Thule bike rack this is? I have been on their site and none of them seem to match.

Thanks

Carl

I've had the same one for years, but it isn't Thule. I don't know the brand . You might look at this site. I see same type rear mount that might work:
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/CategoryDispl...;pageView=

torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glücklich wrote:

I was pretty shocked what all of this added up to in terms of $$ (over 400, if I recall),

that's not bad. roof rack + 2 bike holders for my porsche was more than twice that. 850 bucks. but that's because you need the porsche brand rack; neither yakima nor thule make one that fits. Mad

worth it though, to be confident that your cargo will arrive safely with you. remember, if one of these things decides to let go, it's going to happen at speed, on the freeway. and if there's someone behind you and your bike goes through their windshield and causes them to crash, you're in for a huge lawsuit. a few hundred bucks for a proper bike carrier setup is cheap insurance.

both the thule and yakima raingutter racks are excellent. very very sturdy equipment. if you've got a beetle sedan, it's the only way to go. tow hitch rack works well for a vert, but the tow hitch attaches to the rear forks and to the rear bumper, and must be removed if you want to drop the engine.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonBaker wrote:
Hank, do you just put the rack on when your riding?
nope, its on the car 24/7 365 days a year.. If you look at my roof rack pics you wount see the mounts, I took the pics right after I replaced the wood with the aluminum slats, and I hadn't put them back on yet..

This is the best pic I can find showing my set up

J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Foot pack are you using here and what is the Clearance like. I am looking to do exactly this.

Glücklich wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: