Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'75-'79 FI Vacuum Hoses
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: '75-'79 FI Vacuum Hoses Reply with quote

So here is my problem, I bought a '78 FI Vert with 84000 miles and is really a nice bug. I am replacing all of the vacuum lines because it is needed (they look pretty old). I wanted to check the lines to make sure they are hooked up correctly and it seems they are not.

My problem is it runs very well. I don't want to change the configuration and make any problems but I want it to be correct. There are only a couple useful threads out there so I wanted to float this by you all and see if it seems right or not.

Here how my hoses are connected:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The green retard hose is connected to the plenum, the advance hose is connected to a "T" which runs to the EGR and the rear vacuum port on the throttle and the decel valve is connected to the front of the throttle.

Now this is in contradiction to this diagram from a previous post:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=374029&highlight=fuel+injection+vacuum+lines

I also found this diagram from the manual which seems to be similar:

It seems like I need to change the configuration here, moving the advance and retard lines and changing my "T". Am I missing anything? Also, do I need a line to a pressure regulator as the first diagram suggests?

Finally, how the heck does it run so well in the current configuration when it seems they are all wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dev45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Caleb

I have a 75 FI 1600cc

It's good that your changing the vacuum lines if one leeks the engine runs like crap.

I'm not sure at the moment how my vac lines run as my car is 400 miles away.

As memory serves I do believe that there is a vacuum line to the regulator, but I it's a minor fluxuation at most but good to put back IF your regulator has not been replaced with a fully mechanical one from some were else.

If I may one peace of advice on "How the heck does it run so well in the current configuration when it seems they are all wrong?"

I have had my beetle run well on 3 cylinders with some very odd timing (found this when I set the timing right when I got it.)
and I've had it run fine with the temperature sensor broken.
It's run ok with the valve lash out by miles etc.
I've come to learn that an air cooled VW engine can run well in a lot of stupid setups. Just saying.

Devin
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Devin.

It actually ran pretty well but I wanted to change out all the lines before it became an issue. I switched out all the vacuum lines according to the diagram in the manual and it seems to be running well (had to adjust the idle a bit). The one that continues to confuse me is the line to the pressure regulator. I need to find the pesky thing and check if it has a line running to it but as far as I can tell it doesn't.

I want to make up a correct diagram with the all the vacuum / evap lines listed along with diamaters and lengths for others to use because there really is a lack of info on this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greg-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Vacuum Hose Sizes Reply with quote

Hi Caleb

I have a '79 SB Vert. My vacuum lines are set up like the one in the book (not the drawings)....I just double checked to make sure...and most of my vacuum hoses are shot. I have two questions for you...

1) What diameter vacuum hoses did you buy, as it looks like there are couple of different sizes?

2) How much hose did you buy of each size?

Many Thanks
Greg
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the black (i believe 3.5 mm) hoses for the advance line and the lines to the decel valve and EGR valve. I used the green (4.5 mm i believe) line for the retard from the distributor. I think I ended up with a meter of each although you could use more of the 3.5 black for the lines up in the front for the tank breather lines...
Greg-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caleb...

Thanks for the sizes, I chaged out the 4.5 mm green a few weeks back, but could never get a good measurement on the smaller hoses...they were badly stretch and possibly the wrong size to start with.

Happy V-dubbin
Greg
dev45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Caleb

Your pressure regulator should be attached to the front fire wall on the passenger side. It's a pain to get to, being behind the fan shroud, but if you take out the are cleaner completely it's not bad.

Devin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: