Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick front spare tire well/ tire questions
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeeDubyaBugz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Quick front spare tire well/ tire questions Reply with quote

Hi,
I have searched the forums only to find many answers to questions about spare 14" tires, or the debate on original sizing... I have a 64 bus with 15" rims with 195/70's on them. I need to buy a spare tire to fit behind the seats so it needs to fit well enough that it doesn't mess up the new interior i put in nor the seat positioning. Anyone have the optimal size of replacments? i hate to buy a tire only to find out that its too small when i get a flat or too big and won't fit... Thanks for all the help!
1963 ragtop bug
1965 Bug convertible

Fire Survivors:
1969 bug autostick
1974 sun bug
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 21 won't argue at all if you pop a beetle 165 on your good, hot, horny and sexy 15 spare. I actually prefer and seek vintage bias ply tires for my spares, as they fit all day long and don't interfere with the seat or look out of place when you need it, as all spares back in the day were bias plies. Cracks don't bother me either as I've torture tested so many Jurassic period bias plies, cracks are rarely the condition to be concerned with. But if you want to play it super legit, any beetle in the junk yard has 4 165 radials and 1 bias ply for you to consider.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a 165R15 tire in my '61.

I would not run a bias ply spare if I was driving with radials as I have read that mixing the 2 types is a big no-no.

The 165 fits without interfering with the front bench seat back rest.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help!
1963 ragtop bug
1965 Bug convertible

Fire Survivors:
1969 bug autostick
1974 sun bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i have run into a problem. The rim i have is too pitted to get the 165R15 tire to seat. It is a tubeless radial tire, and i haven't been able to locate another rim yet. I hate to be left without a spare in the mean time so what are the thoughts of putting a radial tube in the tire for a temp. fix?
Thanks for the help.
1963 ragtop bug
1965 Bug convertible

Fire Survivors:
1969 bug autostick
1974 sun bug
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add the tube no worries
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grizpdx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was debating on whether or not to ask this same question for the last 24 hours or so, but had already got an answer via other source. Going Everett's route with a 165R15 for my '61 as well... if anyone gives a rip. Probably not.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeeDubyaBugz wrote:
So i have run into a problem. The rim i have is too pitted to get the 165R15 tire to seat. It is a tubeless radial tire, and i haven't been able to locate another rim yet. I hate to be left without a spare in the mean time so what are the thoughts of putting a radial tube in the tire for a temp. fix?
Thanks for the help.

Ain't never seen a rim too pitted for a bead to seat. Tricks I use: Aggressively wire wheel the corrosion off. I wire brush the bead where it meets the rim in hard cases too. Next, I use liberal soap, but if it's really proving to be a hard seating tire, I'll actually use engine oil on the bead (NOT SAFE) use some other kind of oil. Finally, if you still can't get the tire to seat, take a ratchet strap and wrap it around the circumference and ratchet the tire down onto the rim and fill it. CAUTION! This redneck method works great, but as soon as the tire starts filling, you must release the tension on the ratchet strap or it will break the strap possibly causing serious injury. Give these ideas a try, and if all that doesn't fly, the good old inner tube will work just as well.
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have the tire shop use that bead sealer gunk my mine, otherwise I end up with slow, annoying leaks.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeeDubyaBugz wrote:
Thanks for the help.

put a tube in it Wink
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: