Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's the best way to crimp these panels?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: What's the best way to crimp these panels? Reply with quote

I posted this in the Paint/Body forum, but haven't gotten a response. I've looked through many build threads but didn't get a specific answer.

What is the best tool(s)/way to crimp this panels on to my single cab? I've seen the door skin tools, but how well do they work on round edges? I don't want the corners to look like poopoo! Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Flat edges are easy and I've got the hammer and dolly techniques down for those. I've never attempted these kind of crimps. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if a door skinning tool can handle that corner, I would probably end up cutting triangles out of it and hammer and dollying it.

I dont think there are any basic home tools that can fold and shrink that edge Confused

Try making a card copy of the panel corner to work out how big to make the cuts if you go that route
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Saul Koll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roachdub, do you have any more pics of your bed replacement?
I have the same job looming.
Thanks!
Saul
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a thread around here a while back that described this exact procedure....it's around here somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dref
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat vise grip to get it started, then a block of wood + hammer. It's a real PITA but tis' not so hard once you get it started and have a few or 10 hours to spend....
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never done this specific job, but for folding and crimping flat steel, I use these:

Knipex 8603-12 12-inch Plier Wrench

They have smooth jaws, and are basically my favorite tool in the toolbox.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
I have never done this specific job, but for folding and crimping flat steel, I use these:

I have the same ones but with the toothed jaw and they are the nicest pliers I have ever used. I would imagine they would do that job well without marring the metal
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:

Also my most favorite tool in my tool box. Also works great to crush the vent wing pivot rivet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What's the best way to crimp these panels? Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
I posted this in the Paint/Body forum, but haven't gotten a response. I've looked through many build threads but didn't get a specific answer.

What is the best tool(s)/way to crimp this panels on to my single cab? I've seen the door skin tools, but how well do they work on round edges? I don't want the corners to look like poopoo! Smile

Flat edges are easy and I've got the hammer and dolly techniques down for those. I've never attempted these kind of crimps. Thanks

I spot weld (could be plug welded or screw down also) the bed sections down along the edges then use my heal dolly and slowly start working the lip. When folded I just continue with the dolly and finish with a couple pieces of 6 inch long 1/3" square tool steel useing the knipex smooth jaw channel locks to get a tight crimp. When I get to the corners I get the mapp gas torch out and slowly heat and hammer the corner lip over.

Everyone has their own method, this just works for me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saul Koll wrote:
Roachdub, do you have any more pics of your bed replacement?
I have the same job looming.
Thanks!
Saul

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420762

Well, no not yet. Check out my build's link. The bed skins were missing when I got this truck.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start folding it over at the corners. If you don't start there you will end up with extra material that has no where to shrink to. The corners actually have too much material when folded over. There is plenty of room on the long flat sides to shrink the metal. Obviously you will want to sneak up on the fold. In other words, don't pound it all down at once. Just in small increments. Sheetmetal pliers work great after the edge of the panel is locked,(i.e. folder past 90 degrees). The pliers make short work of it and then everything is seated with a hammer and dolly. There some great tutorials on YouTube. Search door skins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlKnUptnflU&feature=related
This is a start. Lots to look at.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
double-cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-panel-flanger-extra-wide.html spot weld the bed at first and then use that plier around the rest!!
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwood has them
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best way to crimp these panels? Reply with quote

Any updates on crimping especially the separation panel on truck? Now that the newer Gerson panels are in circulation how has everyone been successful getting the top crimped over on the rear wall?

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best way to crimp these panels? Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:
Any updates on crimping especially the separation panel on truck? Now that the newer Gerson panels are in circulation how has everyone been successful getting the top crimped over on the rear wall?

Never done this job, but these guys seem to have alot of hand sheet metal seaming tools:

https://www.stortz.com/product-category/roofing-to...and-tongs/

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best way to crimp these panels? Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:

Kurt has a very good video and photos on how he did it in his "Funky Truck" thread below, starting with his 3rd post from the top on this page:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7630957&highlight=separation+panel#7630957
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best way to crimp these panels? Reply with quote

For a fairly small price (~$120), the Astro pneumatic door skin tool seems like it would do the trick. Eastwood has a good video of it in use.

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Pneumatic-Door-Skinning-Tool-P125893.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best way to crimp these panels? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips... much appreciated

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the best way to crimp these panels? Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
For a fairly small price (~$120), the Astro pneumatic door skin tool seems like it would do the trick. Eastwood has a good video of it in use.

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Pneumatic-Door-Skinning-Tool-P125893.aspx

$111 dollars? That's a smoking deal of a price!

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: