Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oregon: can DEQ force a "pass" for a vehicle?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Oregon: can DEQ force a "pass" for a vehicle? Reply with quote

Extremely long, expensive story.... but....

MY VAN JUST PASSED DEQ!!!!! Oh, happy day. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Theoretical question: It seems a little 'conspiracy theory' to me but I'll ask it... I have some evidence to suggest that my van has been passed, both this time AND two years ago, yet might measure out of spec.
The circumstances and test centers are completely different both times, too.
Just wondering, if a person running the tests were sufficiently motivated, could they pass a car that would normally fail the test?

Not complainin', just wunderin'
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
sc1out
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rough guessitmates are 75% of any tested group will pass any test devised by another human. The next 15% will fail of their own merits, 9% will try to circumvent the testing procedure and fail in their effort, the remaining 1% will try to circumvent the testing procedure and succeed.
DMV, DEQ, IRS, TSA, SAT, LSAT, MCAT, Drug test. All about the same.
Then you've got the problem of the test administrator. Same statistics I would venture.
Congratulations. Any day you can get smogged and pass is a good day.
Rick Christensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had your luck. When trying to renew my Iltis I returned multiple times, each time after my mechanic said,"try it this time". Finally ended up registering it outside of the metro area.
'65 Vespa VBB
'48 Aeronca Sedan 4 passenger airplane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soundmasterg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty cool that you have an Iltis. I would love to see that!

I have an Audi 4000 Quattro that always passes, but part of that could be that the people at the DEQ always stick the sensor in the wrong pipe on the outlet of the exhaust! The outlet has two pipes, and the inner one always gets most of the exhaust. The dumb asses put the sensor in the outer one without fail, and then remark that my car has less emissions than new! I always tell them I keep it in good shape....haha.

Maybe something similar happened to you and it was operator error at the DEQ? I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth though. I never say anything myself about thier stupidity except when they try to make my AWD QUattro go on the dyno! I always go to the one off Cornelius Pass in Hillsboro myself.

Greg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: