Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Helped a stranded westy.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ns-v-dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Helped a stranded westy. Reply with quote

Last night, my wife and I were walking down the waterfront to watch some local musicians playing at Founder's Days festivities and noticed a beautiful beige 78 Westy. After looking it over, we headed on our way. A couple of hours later while walking home, it was still parked at the tourist bureau. I kept watching to see if the owners were near. No luck. Half an hour later, I had to drive my niece to get her car parked on the other side of town. She mentioned that the couple were having trouble starting their bus. On the way home, I drove by and in typical fashion, the engine lid was up with the owner looking over the motor. I pulled up and shone my headlights on the engine bay (11 pm). The bus wouldn't fire very well and when it did, it made a loud popping sound like it was mis-firing. I asked where they were staying and they were just going to stay in the mall parking lot. I invited them to stay in my backyard , only 3 blocks away, and we could check out their problem in the morning. The bus got going and they limped down the road to my place. After introducing ourselves (my wife was wondering what the awful noise was coming in the driveway), we got them settled with power and facilities. This morning we tackled the bus. After checking all the electrical connections, we popped the distributor cap and checked the points. They looked like they weren't opening very far. I got a set of feeler guages and checked the gap. They appeared to have a large burr on them. We took them out out and cleaned them up (no spare set in their bus, and my bus and parts are in 3 different places). Once re-installed and correctly gapped, the bus started up right away. They thanked us for the hospitality and left. We now have two new friends who are fellow bus owners. I'm going to email them tonight and see how their trip home was. Hopefully all is well.
92 Eurovan 8 passenger - sold
www.vintagevdubbers.ca
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Good karma is coming your way for sure.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
bugsy95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: ddd Reply with quote

Nice Job! You have friends for a life time. Dave 1973 bus
Ol'Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Helped a stranded westy. Reply with quote

[quote="ns-v-dubber"]...They appeared to have a large burr on them.
quote]
Sounds like the capacitor could have used replacement.
Smile
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical for Nova Scotia people to be "out of their way genuinely nice and always helpful".

I love to go up there for that very reason. The music/food/beer is also pretty good up there. The "Screech" is sort of interesting also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MalibuLX3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause

Good Karma upon you.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ns-v-dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received an email from the couple I helped out. They made it home safely and the bus worked very well. He also said he is picking up new points and condenser tomorrow and checking the timing as well.
www.vintagevdubbers.ca
Jon and Chris Wagar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You rock and because of you, and people like you, VW owners have the good name and reputation that they do.
Seemed like the right thing to do but imagine how they felt because of you and your wife's generous spirit.
Well done my friend.
Criswell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make sure to tell them about theSamba.com ? Smile
I try to make sure to spread the gospel every time I meet a dubber, many already know, but a few never heard of it and said they'd check it out.
ns-v-dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told them about the Samba website and about our club. Hopefully they will check both!Very Happy'
www.vintagevdubbers.ca
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the same thing for a bug a while back. He had just changed dizzy's and didn't get it all the way down into the dog. I re indexed it there on the side of the road and since I was not in my bus and neither of us had tools, I static timed it at what I guessed would be a bit retarded and gapped his points by eyeball. It can be along way between towns out here. I gently gave him grief about leaving town without his book/tools and then watched him in my rearview as he followed me to the next town.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: