Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86 Syncro Westy - Bostig Powered
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold the 85 this past weekend, and in the meantime have done a little work to the Syncro. Should have an A/C switch on the way this week, but a new poptop vent and seal has been installed, a new 3 screen synthetic tent, and finally mounted our Fiamma F45 Laughing Hope to have another set of pics with another update later this week...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking better all the time.

How hard was it putting in that new tent ... am thinking about doing the same on my weekender syncro ?

Rack on the top - any weight problems lifting the pop-top ?
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten very good at switching tent canvas. That was probably my 3rd one I have done. All told, I think I did it in about 2-3 hours. It really isn't that hard, just a lot of screws. If you take your time, I would think it could easily be tackled in a long afternoon for a first timer.

As to the rack on the roof, it definitely adds a bit of weight when opening and closing. I can do it just fine, but I am not sure if my wife could on her own. I think a set of poptop shocks would be the way to go. i will have to see the first time I load it up...
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the last of the exciting updates for a while Smile Added a set of Rhein's running 205/70/15 Yokohama Geolander AT/S' Hopefully Van Cafe gets their steel rims in shortly so I can get the 5th tire mounted. Next step is to enjoy it a bit and then make sure the suspension is sorted properly so we can get it back to 4WD.

BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those ac switches tend to burn out if there are electrical problems in the system causing excess current draw. So before you replace the switch, make sure that any underlying problem causing the demise of the first switch has been resolved; otherwise, you will be replacing it again very quickly.

Very nice van, by the way. My '86 weekender looks very much like it, except for the minor (!) difference that it's not a syncro.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I will be sure to check the wiring as best I can before burning the new one up Surprised Took it out to the local Omaha VW Club car show this weekend and had a good time with the family. Also got the blinkers/flasher working (it was the relay) and repainted the grill (upper and lower) passenger side power mirror housing, a couple door handles and the wiper blades.
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a shot from the show...

Also have the A/C working Laughing Purchased a used switch out of the classifieds, and found out the PO did not have the old switch connected properly, as well as the back being cracked and a mess. All 3 fan speeds and the a/c pump were now operating together, and sorta cool air. Looking through all of the receipts that came with it, I saw that it had been converted to R134 already, so after a couple cans from the auto parts store, it is happily blowing cold air again. Pump is a little loud, and eventually I will clean out the system and put in Red Tek like I did with our 85, but for now it is working.
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while, and while nothing you can "see" there have been updates. I was happy to get my Van Cafe 15" rim for a spare, and really happy that the rim along with my 205/70/15 Yokohama fit in the stock clamshell without issue! I think I made Van Cafe's mortgage payment this month Laughing Replaced the front outer CV's, ball joints, and almost all of the front end bushings. Also took the driveshaft and had new U-joints pressed in and had it balanced. The Syncro is now back to being a all wheel drive again. Now I just need to test it out somewhere Very Happy Also did a full tune up, new rear hatch struts and am getting ready to go through all the fuel lines. I have Van Cafe's kit, just haven't installed yet. Also scrubbed the pop top down and started with a coat of Penetrol. Have the luggage compartment done so far. Hopefully we will take it camping in the next few weeks.

Last edited by vwcampin on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Orbitald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: why did you mount the rack-mounting-plates on the top of your top instead of on the sides?

Thanks,

David R.
Oakland CA
'87 Syncro Westfakia, 1.9TD ADE (AAZish), 068 Injection Pump, K03 turbo, 2.5" exhaust, Mercedes nozzles, SAAB Blackstone charge-cooler w/ 800cfm fan, Micro-1000 EGT sensor pre-turbo, boost at about 13psi, 235/70/16 with stock gearing
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orbitald wrote:
Question: why did you mount the rack-mounting-plates on the top of your top instead of on the sides?

Thanks,

David R.
Oakland CA

David, the only reason they are like that is because the previous owner did it Smile So unfortunately I do not know his reason. I know he carried kayaks with it, but that is about it...
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since last fall (and since I last updated the post), we installed a Burley driveshaft (cured my vibrations, super beefy, love it!), pop top shocks (love them!), Rocky Mountain Westy under seat locking storage (again, well built, love it), Yakima Rocket Box, among other little odds and ends to get it ready for camping.

Last week myself, my wife, and our 4 yr old daughter loaded it up and headed from Omaha to Many Point lake in Minnesota

Long, hot trip up (as the midwest is locked in a heat wave currently), but it performed well. After 500+ miles we arrived at camp and set up shop to enjoy a week of camping.

Left last Friday and decided to head to Okoboji/Spirit Lake region of Iowa as our daughter loves the Arnolds Park old fashioned amusement park. Just as we were entering Spirit Lake, it happened.

We were just getting to the outskirts of town heading down a county highway when we were coming up on a road that buypassed the two lane highway. Noticed a truck at the stop sign and thought nothing of it. Unfortunately he never saw us (don't know how!), and pulled out and across the highway directly in front of us. Locked up the brakes and swerved at the last second, but collided at around 50-55 mph. Luckily no one injured, minus bumps and bruises, including the occupants of the truck (they had 3 boys with them). Truck was cited and given a ticket. The guy was incredibly sorry and just never saw us. The Syncro did its job, but it took a really hard hit. Needless to say we ended up with a U Haul for the remaining 4 hours home.

I can't wait to start dealing with the Insurance company and will be reading the different threads on here, but I am sure will have questions as it plays out.

The entire Yakima rack flew off the roof. The windshield popped first as you can see it underneath.

Truck we hit:

vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for the forum:

Since the Syncro is currently about 4 hours away (luckily in covered, locked storage), I am not comfortable with it being that far away and dealing with insurance adjusters, etc, I would like to get it back to Omaha.

If I removed the driveshaft/prop shaft, would it be safe (safe for the transmission) to tow it home on a 2 wheel tow dolly? While the steering is currently not functional, I can drive it straight onto a tow dolly.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN! Sad that absolutely sucks!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I'm sorry for your loss, but releived that no one was hurt.

Are you asking if you can lift the front end onto a tow dolly, with a disconnected driveshaft and tow it home?

From what I remember about reading in the VW manual on towing, is that it is not advisable or safe (for the tranny) to tow with a lifted front end for more than 20-30 miles (2WD, syncros were always advised to get flatbed towed). To salvage the drive gear I would seriously look at a flat bed tow or trailer from u-haul, or some such.

Good Luck.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bman. That is what I thought I remembered as well, but wanted to get the feedback from those who know way more than I do on this forum Smile
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the drive shaft, and tow with rear two wheels on the ground, this will not hurt the 4wd system as the VC will not even know the van is moving. To be for sure, remove the rear CVs and axles, then the transmission won't even turn.

So glad you are all ok. We all know that its just a matter luck that these are not our own pictures. I will be driving very carefully today.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly safe to use a tow dolly with the rear wheels down and the driveshaft removed, I have thousands of miles doing just that, with absolutely NO damage. No need to remove the axles.

But do have a substantial tow vehicle; I use a Ford F250.

Very sorry for the loss, but rubber and tin are replaceable, it still plain sucks!
Paul in Emery vile, Ca.
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it is time to find a friend with a truck we can borrow then. I just don't like the idea of going through the insurance hassle with it being 4 hours away Crying or Very sad
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, this just makes me sad. Glad everyone is ok though.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your Westy! That sucks!

This is one of my fears while driving my Westy. I see people take chances to get
in front of me while I have been on the road to a many a campground. The short time
that I may be in front of them seems too long to wait. Had a car pull onto the highway from
the left to get in front of me and a large RV that was behind me. They never even looked
to their left for on coming traffic. A near hit, with alot of horns blowing. I envisioned them getting
hit and then them hitting me, but everyone made it onto the highway in one piece. That car that
pulled out in front of us went down the highway two miles and then turned off. Wow!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow , deepest sympathies very unfortunate, so sad...she can be fixed though , thank goodness the family is OK , get her home , you both will feel better dealing with the claim from a safe & secure place
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: