Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball Joints Removed and Pressed in place
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Ball Joints Removed and Pressed in place Reply with quote

I am building an as new Thing front end and am curious what folks around the country pay to have old ball joints removed asn new ball joints installed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't remember exactly and was a couple years back during the build.

I know I had 6 drums turned, old ball joints removed and new ones installed (labor only). I paid a little over $60 at my local NAPA parts/repair house
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pizza and a pitcher of beer, at least that's what it cost me Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Billyd64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints Removed and Pressed in place Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
I am building an as new Thing front end and am curious what folks around the country pay to have old ball joints removed asn new ball joints installed?

Since I didn't have a press I had it done 2 weeks ago at a local shop. I paid $180 total for the 2 upper and 2 lower ball joints themselves from the Thing Shop (not sure if that is a good price or not) and paid another $250 or so for labor. Since I usually do my own car repairs I was non-plussed at all the cost for some ball joints but since it is my girlfriends car and I want her safe I paid the price. May have been good price, may have been bad, I dunno.
kyle_pc_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $120 a month ago for the labor at a VW shop for all four and they cleaned and painted the arms to boot.
Billyd64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle_pc_75 wrote:
I paid $120 a month ago for the labor at a VW shop for all four and they cleaned and painted the arms to boot.

I am guessing depends on where you are located, as usual for anything you pay for. I would suggest you ask KubelMann, he had some good info on another post. You can guy the press and peripherals at HarborFreight and other places for pretty minimal cost (about $100 total) and do it yourself. I was also told by someone else on here that you need to lube the ball joints with lube through a needle pretty regular. Good luck.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine cost 120 bucks to remove the old ones and install the new ones. I was rather shocked but the guy said the ones that were in there were a real pain to get out and gave his 10,000 lb press a work out. Glad i didn't try the back yard method.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just paid 100
vw1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had it done on monday. 150.00 for all four plus he changed all the wheel cylinders and the front two brake ines

oops ............that was for labor only

Last edited by vw1968 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure the price varies if you remove the arms or drive the car in and let the mechanic do it all.
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed and installed myself for *free*...assuming you have the tools as follows:

1) Die grind backside of balljoint

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2) Bust ball out of the backside with a press

3) Weld bead inside of race to shrink it

4) A tiny bit of persuasion with the air chisel

4) Viola

5) Pressed new joints in with $60 HF press (sorry, no photos)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kyle_pc_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billyd64 wrote:
kyle_pc_75 wrote:

I am guessing depends on where you are located, as usual for anything you pay for. I would suggest you ask KubelMann, he had some good info on another post. You can guy the press and peripherals at HarborFreight and other places for pretty minimal cost (about $100 total) and do it yourself. I was also told by someone else on here that you need to lube the ball joints with lube through a needle pretty regular. Good luck.

I tried the HF press, no luck. It just got to the point where I couldn't turn the press without breaking breaker bars. It took me three nights of alternating heat and soaking in PB Blaster to get the eccentric off after I made a custom jig for that, so I imagine it was all pretty well stuck together.

I pulled the arms myself and took them to a reputable VW (engine) shop. He had to borrow the tooling from another guy, so I'm pretty sure he charged me enough to keep me from coming back with another set, lol. No worries, he's given me plenty of deals on engine related stuff, free tuning advice, etc.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
Removed and installed myself for *free*...assuming you have the tools as follows:

1) Die grind backside of balljoint

2) Bust ball out of the backside with a press

3) Weld bead inside of race to shrink it

4) A tiny bit of persuasion with the air chisel

4) Viola

5) Pressed new joints in with $60 HF press (sorry, no photos)

OK, I have got to ask, why all the work?

I have the same press and I just press out the BJ complete and then press in the new BJ. If I do not sandblast and paint the trailing arm, it takes about 10 minutes per arm to out a bad BJ and in a new BJ. No die grinding, no welding and no air hammering.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: ball joints Reply with quote

i have to agree with joe cool why all the work i have a old heavy vice i have replace many ball joints on vw's i lay the arm on the vice and with a LARGE hammer a few hits sometime one good hit and the ball joint falls out i have never had one i had to press out, i do press the ball joints in with the press a little grease on the boot and press the ball joint in
whirligigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: How I removed my ball joints. Reply with quote

After much trial and error, not to mention some choice expletive deleteds, I managed to replace the original ball joints on my 74.

Used an air powered cut-off tool to remove the flange on the ball joints to get a press cup to fit on the arm. Tried using a "C" type ball joint press. No way.

Wound up taking them to a aquaintances shop and used his 12 ton press to get them out. The "C" type ball joint press worked fine to install the new ones.
vgajames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: ball joints Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
i have to agree with joe cool why all the work i have a old heavy vice i have replace many ball joints on vw's i lay the arm on the vice and with a LARGE hammer a few hits sometime one good hit and the ball joint falls out i have never had one i had to press out, i do press the ball joints in with the press a little grease on the boot and press the ball joint in

My press looks just like that one but is red and its a 20 ton.
I made my own press tools out of sections of pipe, big sockets etc.
I will try to get some pics.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints Removed and Pressed in place Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread.

Bought all four ball joints.

Took them and the arms to a local garage that works on both cars and big trucks to have the old ones pressed out and the new ones pressed in. Went back to the shop a week later and only the top ball joints were pressed in. The bottom still had the old joints. The guy said it took him too much time to press out and in the top ball joints and he was not going to touch the bottom ball joints. Fortunately, he did not charge me anything for his time or services.

I took the lower ball joints to a different shop that works on big trucks. Dropped the lower ball joints off. Returned the next day. The garage said they had to fight the ball joints the entire time. It took them three hours to get the old ball joints off and press the new ones in. He only charged me two hours labor, for a total of $100.

Since both shops with access to lots more tools and experience than me, had such a hard time pressing out the ball joints, I'm glad I did not try this at home.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints Removed and Pressed in place Reply with quote

All 4 of mine are likely original and in dire need of replacement.

While doing some tire swapping, I had the guys at the shop look at the ball joints on my Bus and asked if they thought they could swap them on the Thing, as it is a similar setup.

They said they could, with the arms in place. If that's true, I figure it is worth a few bucks to not have to mess with taking that all apart.

What do you all think? Can the shop do it? They could also do the alignment after.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints Removed and Pressed in place Reply with quote

I replaced my Thing ball joints in 2014.
I used the $150 Harbor Freight 20 ton press and it worked fine.
At the time I did this, I wrote:

The ball joints I removed were original to the car, and they didn’t want to come a’loose.
The uppers came out with a good pop, but the lowers came out with the loudest bang since the big one.
Truly a “no guts-no glory” situation.
The new ball joints pressed in nice and straight, with a satisfying amount of effort; not too easy or too hard.

I made a tool from $4 worth of plumbing parts from Home Depot.
It's made from a 1" X 1 1/4" pipe reducer, and a 1" X 1/2" reducer. The internal threads on the big end were removed on a lathe to accommodate the rubber boot on the ball joint. It just slips over the rubber boot and rests on the steel lip.

Since then I have used the press a few times for other stuff, so I can't complain about having another tool for just about the same cost as the labor to have the ball joints swapped. Besides, you can't own too many tools.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints Removed and Pressed in place Reply with quote

what tools exactly are needed for this operation?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: