Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rubber mount: did WW make a mistake?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Rubber mount: did WW make a mistake? Reply with quote

Before placing this order, I called up Wolfsburg West to make sure I was ordering everything I would need. I was told I would need two rubber mounts for the rear arms, two for the rear arm portion that goes under the seat part in the body, and than two for the front. He gave me the numbers and I order them.
The two for the rear went on fine, but I don't know where these ones would go in the front:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The only place I figure they would go is here:

Doesn't that look like a freaky face?
Anyways, they don't really fit under there, as on the Super that part around the bolt holes is curvy and these are thick, flat rubber. Not to mention the hole is way too large.
Are these things just for Standard Beetles or what? The only other possibly place left is the inside bracket that connects to the tunnel, but again, these things don't look like they are made to fit here.
Saw other posts asking this question, lets solve it. If someone could be kind enough to look under their car at the above spot pictured to see if there is anything there, I'd appreciate it.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do know that standard bugs use that seal/bushing(what ever you call it)between the body and beam. I have never had the body off of my super so I don't know for A fact, but I do not believe supers use them in the front..
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the second picture of or location of the picture on the body?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Redvolk65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I place my order from SOCAL,they send me the seme you have in the picture they dont fit TOO BIG,Im planing on doing then with a piece rubber from
a old tire. if you found another way let us know
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt, in a Super Beetle, that's the spare tire well in the trunk. The two holes at the top are where two body mount bolts go.
I don't remember pulling any rubber bits out of there when I took this thing apart.
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an exploded diagram of the chassis of a 1965 Beetle (other years, too) with mounting bits

You can see the rubber mount in question clearly shown, along with where it goes.
Here's the chassis from a 1974 Super Beetle (other years, too)

The rubber mount is not shown here. The place I question just shows it being bolted on in that location, no rubber mounts or anything.
These things aren't needed for Super Beetles.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 go under the rear seat between the body and the forward end of teh shock mount and 2 go a little further back between the body in the fender well to the shock tower. AS far as I know, there are only 4 and all four go in the back part of teh car. The two bolts that go under teh rear seat are sometimes forgotten because they are in a spot on the body that is thin and seems unsupported.

Notice teh black circled areas. There are two locations on each side of the car for a total of 4 rubber pads. I do not believe there are any more on the super

Also, notice on the previous post, there are two rubber pads used on the aft mount. One under teh body support and one on top then a washer and a spacer.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So thatt would mean six rubber pads total if you're using two each on the arm mounts.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I had them left over, I was using the thick front ones plus a spacer as my top rubber mount. I then snapped a bolt somehow (bad bolt, I guess, didn't even use much torque) and ruined my night Razz
I see what you mean about the other mounts in the rear, flyboat. The holes are sealed in my car, so I'll just skip them.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are like mine were, they were sealed with a tar plug that popped right up. If you skip them you may get a rattle or sqeak.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: