Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tracking Down A Bus With VIN#
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Tracking Down A Bus With VIN# Reply with quote

As I get older, I wistfully wish I could find the first new car I ever owned, a bus. I'm wondering if I could find the VIN#, if there's some sort of national tracking agency that might inform me where it is, or at least where it last was?

I last owned the bus in around 1975 and it was registered in CA, so that would be the first place I'd start, but I'm wondering if the DMV would release such info.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tracking Down A Bus With VIN# Reply with quote

jazzed wrote:
As I get older, I wistfully wish I could find the first new car I ever owned, a bus. I'm wondering if I could find the VIN#, if there's some sort of national tracking agency that might inform me where it is, or at least where it last was?

I last owned the bus in around 1975 and it was registered in CA, so that would be the first place I'd start, but I'm wondering if the DMV would release such info.

nope - privacy laws
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have to ask a favor of an uncle who's a cop in Ohio Very Happy

I've got a call into the DMV and I'm wondering if they will help me with a registration that was mine. Of course, it's so old, I'm not sure if they can (or will) access such records. Unfortunately, I have no records (or even pictures) of the bus so it's a bit of a wild goose chase.
sharpstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzed wrote:
Might have to ask a favor of an uncle who's a cop in Ohio Very Happy

I've got a call into the DMV and I'm wondering if they will help me with a registration that was mine. Of course, it's so old, I'm not sure if they can (or will) access such records. Unfortunately, I have no records (or even pictures) of the bus so it's a bit of a wild goose chase.

Your uncle would have to know what state the bus was last registered in. I'm betting in that many years it has moved around quite a bit.
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a longshot, but I got lucky today and found what might be the only picture ever taken of the bus. I didn't even know I had it. And it has the license plate number on it! Next step is to call CT, where it was originally licensed and see if they can scrape up a VIN#. CA was very co-operative and if I can give them a VIN, they'll at least tell me if the bus is still actively registered. I had purchased and installed a nice Westy interior from a junkyard
($200/complete! Those were the days), so I'm hoping whoever owned it might have had more incentive to keep it running and if it stayed in SoCal, shouldn't be major rust issues (unless it wound up at the beach).
Dunebubby
Samba Thread Killer

Location: In my den,throwing darts at a picture of my ex-boss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who and how did you contact the Ca. DMV? I'm with Erik as far as the privacy laws go. I know they won't give owner info,I'd just like to know if my 65 bug is still out there. Incidently when that law went into effect after the chick in LA was stalked and killed you were SUPPOSED to be able to still get owner information IF you supplied all your own information but I guess that was short lived.
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with CT. The DMV takes way too long to give dealers last registered owner info that we have to notify in 48 hours after we get an abandoned MV. Oh and if you are not a dealer in CT forget about getting any info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunebubby wrote:
Who and how did you contact the Ca. DMV? I'm with Erik as far as the privacy laws go. I know they won't give owner info,I'd just like to know if my 65 bug is still out there. Incidently when that law went into effect after the chick in LA was stalked and killed you were SUPPOSED to be able to still get owner information IF you supplied all your own information but I guess that was short lived.

I just called the number on the website. The guy asked my name and where I lived when I had it registered, then attempted to "find" me and the vehicle. At that point, all I wanted was a VIN#. I knew better than to ask him who owned the bus now, but because of the age of the registration (almost 40 years!) he wasn't successful, but he must have tried for 15 minutes. Sorry to hear that CT won't be co-operative. I might have reached a dead end, but I'll at least give it a shot tomorrow.
sharpstick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in Texas, if a vehicle has not been registered in so many years it drops out of the system completely.

The VIN number itself can also be a problem sometimes. The old system wouldn't recognize the smaller VIN numbers so they sometimes added zeros to the beginning or the end to get the required number of digits.
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WM971252 wrote:
Good luck with CT. The DMV takes way too long to give dealers last registered owner info that we have to notify in 48 hours after we get an abandoned MV. Oh and if you are not a dealer in CT forget about getting any info.

Almost an hour on hold with CT and they came back with "we purge that info every 5 years", so I only missed by about 35 years. My hopes are fading since I can't imagine finding an old insurance policy or registration when all I've got is a single photo of the vehicle. Both the dealership I bought the bus from and the dealership I sold to are long gone, so if anyone sees a 1971 bus with a Westy interior (but no louvered windows nor pop-top/strictly a conversion from a junked Westy interior--but correct in every other way since I installed every piece), let me know. Originally Chianti Red, oversprayed by a dealer to a horrible yellow, imported into Hartford, CT (E Coast M code) and last seen in South Gate, CA (LA suburb) in the mid-70's.
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well give this a shot...it's free!
http://www.txdmv.gov/protection/buying_vehicle/title_check.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: