Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

An interactive first bus story... real time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have a great mechanic. I would really like to know more about him. At 83 years old he may have a story or two to tell.
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this story so far, I would get a reconditioned engine & then strip yours to learn how it all goes together, you've got a good spare then to swap over in the future. Very Happy
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would build it with the old man if I were you. You would learn a lot. Way better than just handing over a ton of cash.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubluvah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hauled the bus and buckets full of parts to Ogden (4 hours away). Turns out that that pretty much everything on the long block is reconditioned. Its sitting in the garage at BC autoworks.... sure seems like I am committed now. Sad though, that I wont be able to see it for a while being so far away. Hopefully it will be ready to go when I hit the road to California, but I am pessimistic at this point.
FYI- decided to go all stock. No dellortos, and a stock exhaust. I am hopeful with a new stock exhaust that I wont have a problem with emissions in California.
Mountain Minstrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No smog requirements on 75 and older in CA Laughing That might be the best reason to stay here Confused
04 Miata (Sold)

Desertbusman wrote:
Maintenance doesn't mean repairing it when it breaks. That's called repair.

miniman82 wrote:
Don't listen to him, people from Fresno are retarded. Rolling Eyes
vdubluvah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Update... back together again Reply with quote

So BC autoworks finished working on the bus sometime in October. I ended up spending close to $6,000 Shocked in repairs... including a new engine, brake lines, electrical, and various other stuff. Pretty much everything for peace of mind and safety was repaired under the bus. The bus was driven a good 300 miles by the owner of BC autoworks as planned, and then the valves were adjusted and oil changed. Then I had my sister driving it another 300 miles before winter hit with salty roads in Utah. So I had my sister store it in her garage while I continued working in California. Haven't been able to drive her yet, but I am finally finished with work in CA and am back in Utah seeing my bus for the first time since September. YAY!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
So the first day I was here I went out to start it and she started right up! Awww, I love that humm. And I have been dreaming of it ever since last summer. Unfortunately, after starting it and hearing it go through its warm up cycle it died immediately after the warm up cycle went to its natural idle. Unbeknown to my sister, who has graciously stored my bus... she did not occassionally go out and start the engine periodically since November when parked.
OK, so I have started it every day for the last week. She starts right up every time, no problem Dancing and then dies immediately once warm up cycle finished and going to normal idle. I can rev the pedal the engine will keep running forever but the minute I lay off the pedal she dies once going to the idle.
First thing coming to mind is that the idle obviously needs to be adjusted because of the colder weather (30's, down from 70's since last driven). Thought about taking it back to the shop and having them fix it but NO... I want to fix it myself.... got to put my big girl panties on and start getting some confidence with dealing with these issues that no doubt will always be coming up!! Smile So do you all think I should start with adjusting the idle on the carb as described on the vintage video http://youtube.com/watch?v=XOxxS1EMphU Question Many thanks!
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Gas?
Choke set for summer or winter(gets changed/adjusted every season)
How about some new pictures(so we can see all the work done and current setup)
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
Juancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot even begin to tell you how many people I have discouraged from buying a VW Bus. I always listen for the subtle queues like, “I want a reliable…”. Stop right there. You just eliminated the bus with that very statement.

Hate to break it to you, but that $6000 you just spent, is only the beginning. Read the manuals, keep posting your questions on this forum, and never, I mean NEVER, take it to a mechanic ever again! Do all your own repairs from here on out. Otherwise sell it. It WILL break down again and you need to know, how to get it back on the road when that happens.
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this post for the first time. I grew up on Ogden and was very active with VW busses while there. Back then, the 90s, I never really liked BugCraft as they seemed to court the sand rail/dune buggy crowd but I would occasionally buy parts from them. My favorite VW mechanic at the time worked at Der Auto Werks on 28th street. His name is Mark Russell and he now has his own shop in Layton. He mostly works on Porsche's now but might look at a bus. A great guy and he had at least 20 years working on VW's before going out on his own.

Looking online looks like his contact info is
RSR Motorsports, Inc.
3251 N 750 E, Unit 4
Layton, UT 84041
801-771-7062

Just incase you need a good mechanic. He certainly won't be any less expensive than BugCraft... But yes learn how to do it all yourself and you'll be better off. I'm sure there are many great VW mechanics in SLC too.
vdubluvah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After posting this morning, I took the bus back to BC autoworks... For several reasons really... firstly, I'm going to get what I paid for- a running bus, dammit. I need to be able to drive the thing without dying at every stop sign, hill, or left turn! #2- they put the damn fuel filter in the engine compartment mounted in the usual place and I need it behind the firewall- #3- noticed a few oil spots underneath the bus this morning.
Everything that was done on the engine is under warranty for a year- so I am going to make sure I at least get to drive it once without these issues... before forking over any more mulah.

Lionhart-
Thanks for responding! Those are all things I have been reading about and have considered. The mechanic at BC autoworks stated that he thinks that it sounds like it is the idle-jet that needs to be adjusted or the choke and he is looking at it today. I will let you know which one it turns out. I was going to take a picture of the engine compartment before I took it in, but was too embarrassed to because of that damn fuel filter. As soon as I get the bus back from the shop I will take some pics... Very Happy

Juancho- I DO realize that it is going to take a lot of not only money, but knowledge, and time to keep this classic vehicle running. Please don't assume that I am not prepared to do any of those three. I will continue to lurk in these forums and others, post questions, and read my manuals as you suggest. I know this is going to be a life long hobby for me. I am THRILLED to get started... I just need to get what I paid for, so at least I have a clean slate to begin with. Don't get me wrong... I do believe I know what you are talking about when you say you have tried talking many people out of buying a bus. I am on this forum almost daily... no I don't post much, because I am one of those you probably would try to talk out of... I am a beginner!! Every person on this forum had to be a beginner at one time when dealing with their bus even if they've got 40 years experience now.

Brandt-
Thanks! I will definitely keep him in mind especially with your recommendation. BC autoworks has been great for the most part. Though I see what you are saying, I have just seen mostly bugs down there when I have been there. Thank you so much for your effort.

So so happy to be back together with my bus!! Thanks everyone, not just for posting here... but for posting in The Samba and making this site a real gem for folks like me.
Juancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely take it back to bc autoworks. You are about to find out if you got what you paid for. My perdiction..., you are about to find out why I said never ever let a mechanic touch that bus again.

Ok, so both my wife and son agree that I am coming off as an arrogant jerk. But think about it this way, including the purchase price you are at what, about $8,000 now? You can buy a decent 5 year old car for that.

Go drinking with a vw mechanic sometime, and you will find out some interesting things, like how they think classic vw owners are nuts. And you know something, they're right! We are all crazy for dumping so much money into a 40 year old piece of junk. But then again most people will never understand the obsession.
Big Papi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key here is that vluv obviously loves her bus. Isnt that why we own these babys. I know thats the case for me. Id trade an idle thing like money for the enjoyment of my bus any day. Dont sweat it vluv learn as u go.
vdubluvah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good- BC autoworks fixed the idle issue... it was an adjustment on the idlejet. They also moved the fuel filter out of the engine bay. Fixed the oil leak as well- some nuts were lose on the oil pan. They also put in a new speedometer cable per my request. $91.00 for the speedometer cable and install, the rest was loyalty discount of free- gee thanks.

The bad- I ended up taking it back a second time to BC autoworks due to a constant squeal on front brakes that goes away when pressing the pedal. I know that they changed the front brakes, so I figured it was something in the install. After reading on here and Ratwell- I asked if they changed the brake lines; "yes", seated them properyly, "yes"; Spoke with the 'Brake Guy' and he said that every time he changes the brake pads on these buses they always have a squeal. Mad You have got to be kidding me...
I made them look at the install again to check the placement of the pads as well as the beveled edging and the pin that can sometimes get rusty (horrible lingo, I know- I am working on my vocab Smile )
So- they looked at it and said the only way to get rid of the squeal is to put on ceramic pads... oh and now they noticed the rotors need to be changed. All for the low price of $500.00- Shocked My response was... "put the tires back on, I am coming to get it". Unbelievable that they would put brakes on that would squeal instead of the ceramic ones- what did people drive around in the 70's and everyone was squealing, come on! Two other issues came up with BC Autoworks - #1 they didn't change the transmission seal when they had the engine and transmission out- NICE work- So, long story short- If you spend $6,000 at BC Autoworks on a bus in Ogden Utah... Prepare for some short changing when it is complete.
Anyway... I am moving on. Now that I am back in town- I am going to run and get my manuals, and start to get my hands dirty!! I am nervous, don't get me wrong. It's funny, as a critical care nurse I can jump start your heart, but I can't jump start your car... yet.
vdubluvah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before new engine core

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now

She seems to run great now, minus the irritating squeal. Still happy, excited, and nervous about my new endeavor. Knowledge is power.
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to believe you spent 6K from looking at the picture :0(

Do you have old parts? Carbs were worth $$$ and most likely the old distributor was better than what you have now??

They should have replaced the engine seal’s at minimum, and from what you said about their brake work, they are not people you want to do business with… for $3,495.95 you could have had a complete new OEM vw engine…

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1393

You are missing parts of the cooling tins... does it have a working thermostat?

IMO; you should locate an OEM air cleaner if you want your engine to last and carb run well...

No picture of under side? Form picture can tell that your manifold per-heat is not working (= carb will never run properly)

Bus Depot has all the good parts you need to do your brakes your self, its not rocket science ;0)

http://www.busdepot.com/catalog.jsp?model=8&category=5
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
vdubluvah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionhart- yes, I know, I am sick over it... they did do some other things besides the engine- but it sure doesn't feel $6000 worth.

I do have the dellorto's still- because I made sure of it. The old distributor actually had a hole in the shaft. They said they used the other parts of the core. I thought I would have a lot of parts as well... but no.

I remember you posting about the OEM engine last year... advice I should have taken last summer!

If you will... tell me what parts of the cooling tin I am missing. Not sure about the thermostat- I do know that the after market VDO gauge on the instrument panel has not moved at all when driving it. One of the concerns that I brought up to BC autoworks- and they dismissed apologetically Brick wall . OK- The OEM air cleaner, I will check for that- THANK YOU!!

I do have a few pics of the underside- I will post them. The manifold that you are talking about... I will check in to it. I am so discouraged Sad , but I am not giving up !! I am so grateful to have this forum and people like you- Thank you so much Lionhart... I will start tackling these things one by one. My manuals have all been three hours away in a storage facility. Now I have them and I will be able to look at the schematics as well and hopefully wont be so blind... thanks for keeping me in line- I really appreciate it!
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: “The old distributor actually had a hole in the shaft. They said they used the other parts of the core.” Sounds like BS to me, they are supposed to have holes in the shaft(at least the factory ones ;0)
Re: missing tin; at least the two pieces that seal off the preheat pipes (you should be able to find them in the manual)

Part K,M,L (one Right one Left)

http://www.bus-boys.com/aircoolingtin71.gif

RE: Thermostat Parts are shown in picture, L,P,T,S,Y, AA, X etc...

http://www.bus-boys.com/aircooling71.gif

RE: “I do know that the aftermarket VDO gauge on the instrument panel has not moved at all when driving it.” Sounds like a joke :0( what gauges do you have? OP and OP should work, if not have them fix it if they put it in or get your money back…

FYI, I have been around ACVW my whole life and still learn new things about them all the time, in your case you have to become a detective: there should be no missing screws, bolts or ways you can see the ground from inside the engine compartment… what you have on your hands is a puzzle, think of it in the terms of, you have to find all the missing pieces, as well as figure out what has been added that was not there originally, and if it was added is it hurting or helping…

From an other Post good info to figure out what is missing :0)

T2 OEM Manual

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/EarlyBay-Main.html

Last edited by Lionhart94010 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
vdubluvah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some under engine pics after the shop. Feed back appreciated, especially if you notice something is not right. I really want to keep this bus a long time.

Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added more information to previous post…

Unfortunately, your exhaust system is not compatible with your carburetor setup. If you have a stock displacement engine then the stock setup is the best, intake air preheat will work and also exhaust pipe needs to exit on either back corner, not the center so that the exhaust fumes do not get caught in the vacuum behind the bus and have any chance of getting sucked into the heating system (VW did everything for a reason, OEM bus exhaust setup helped make more low end torque and kept fumes away from possibly getting into cabin…)

repair shop should know better than to put that combination together...

Starter solenoid wires should not hang as they do, they should be done better…

I think you are also missing the metal clamps on your axle boots (Small end)?

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/5-002.jpg

vdubluvah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Makes me wonder if they did anything right! The only thing I can reasonably say at this time is regarding the muffler- I did request for them to put the stock muffler on. Hard to tell in the photo, but the pipe actually does come out on the left side.

All of this is kind of hard to take Shocked ... but I really do appreciate it and I really need to know all of this too. Baptism by fire, I guess.

I will be able to take better pictures after this weekend as well... and I will scan the receipts.

The F'd up thing about all of this is... they finished their work some time in October last year... and the bus has been sitting in my sisters garage since. I don't know if I have any leg to stand on... after spending that kind of money, I really thought I would be coming home to a bus in a lot better shape mechanically.

Still love my bus though... I'm gonna make it work one way or another.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: