Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AA type 4 pistons - wrist pin offset?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
purity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: AA type 4 pistons - wrist pin offset? Reply with quote

I've searched, but couldn't find an answer to this: Does 94mm flat-topped pistons for a Type 4 engine, from AA Performance have offset wrist pins? I've measured in every possible way, but couldn't seem to find any difference between left and right. How much is the offset supposed to be?
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pistons have a direction arrow, it's for that reason:pin offset.
MRRAGPICKER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AA pistons had the arrows and valve reliefs. The arrows were all the same. If I had installed them by the arrows, one side of the engine would have had the valve reliefs 180 degrees off. I contacted the vendor and they said to go by the valve reliefs, that the arrows were wrong and that they were aware of the problem and were making sure none go out like that again.
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRRAGPICKER wrote:
My AA pistons had the arrows and valve reliefs. The arrows were all the same. If I had installed them by the arrows, one side of the engine would have had the valve reliefs 180 degrees off. I contacted the vendor and they said to go by the valve reliefs, that the arrows were wrong and that they were aware of the problem and were making sure none go out like that again.

Makes you wonder how a major mistake like that can leave the factory in the first place.
Viande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Noof wrote:

Makes you wonder how a major mistake like that can leave the factory in the first place.

Made in China could have something to do with it.

The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the joy of the cheap price fades away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine have no arrow, but they have "STD" on the lower half (seen from above), and valve reliefs (extra material for cutting valve pockets). The reliefs and "STD" are on the same piston-half.

I've tried measuring them, but can't seem to find any big offset. How big is the offset supposed to be?
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purity wrote:
Mine have valve reliefs (extra material for cutting valve pockets).

It should be pretty friggin obvious which way they go in then, shouldn't it? Look at your heads, then look at the pistons. They can only go one way.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering, because someone mentioned that the offset would end up the wrong way on two of the pistons if the offset had the same direction in relation to the reliefs on all pistons.

This makes sence when I think about it, because the rods "enter" the cylinder from the bottom on #3 and #4, but from the top on #1 and #2. As far as I've understood the offset is there to compensate for this?

I'll try and measure some more, but in what direction is the wrist pin supposed to be offset on say cylinder #1, towards the top or the bottom of the engine?
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of no aftermarket piston that features wrist-pin offset.... Besides Mahle / Cima.

I would doubt if AA is doing this based on price and Country of Origin.

I don't remember which way the factory off-set is , but you just need to check a stock piston.

If the extra valve relief material is larger for the intake valve, then there should be no question as to how they are installed.... Mark your own arrows, and ignore any that are Factory. Nice. Rolling Eyes

Why does AA not answer these questions? I would contact them, and post the answers given here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want anything that was made in China, if you have a choice?
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to use those pistons as a projectile, and shoot them back at the Chinese given our recent scuffle with their Navy. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westcoast-paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't throw them away - keep the cylinders, use KB pistons from eurosport. Laughing
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: T1 Wrist-pin offset Reply with quote

Although this thread is quit old, I haven’t had much luck searching for what the stock wrist-pin offset is for a T1 based engine, I asume all Cima/Male & Stock will use the same offset…

I’ve found a reference that piston pin offset is still done to reduce slap - but typically in the 0.25-1.0mm,

On the Gene Berg website he refers to:

Quote:
Bug-pack Rods…Further, they did not have the proper 2mm offset the stock VW rods all have that is required to position the rod on the crank so it properly lines up to case and cylinder bore. "O" offset causes unwanted side loading on the rod bearing and piston, which make wrist pin keepers burr up or come out as well as blow-by.

Which seems to indicate that perhaps the wrist pin(in Piston or Rod?) is offset by 2mm. (= +2mm?)

Does any one know what the stock T1 wrist-pin offset is, and if the offset is on the rod, piston or both?

I am trying to do some engine simulation (Dynomation 5) to ge Max Torque from the diffrent parts I have on hand and one of the parameters to be entered is “Pin Offset: +x.xx mm or -x.xx mm”

Any help would be appreciated :0)
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no vw spec, it is up to the piston manufacturer

1-2mm is probably correct
It is easily measured with calipers

offset rod? nope
rod offset refers to how the rod bearing is not centered undeer the piston fore and aft. It has nothing to do with pin off-set
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the offset on the bottom of the centerline of the cylnder?
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigman wrote:
Isn't the offset on the bottom of the centerline of the cylnder?
Wrist pin offset is related to the crank rotation direction so on the VW the offset is above the cylinder centerline on one side and below the ceterline on on the other side.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, I did a bit more searching and have come up with a better visualization, now just need to measure the offset with a vise and a 90 degrees strait edge…

Measuring Wrist Pin Offset, they say a picture is worth a 1,000 words, now if some one would put up a picture of the measurement being taken, that would be cool :0)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a pic is needed

-place piston upside down on table with pin in it
-with calipers, measure from the outside of one skirt to the far side of the pin, write that down
-then measure from the other skirt to the far side of the pin, write that down

the difference/2 is the offset
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Modok,

That is a simpler way to do it than using a vise and a striate edge as I had read on the web, I was able to do as you suggested with my digital calipers…

52mm and 55mm on both COFAP(2009 Piston) and Mahle(1970's Piston) = 3mm, /2 so the offset is 1.5mm on each :0)
PlacerPuma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRRAGPICKER wrote:
I contacted the vendor and they said to go by the valve reliefs, that the arrows were wrong and that they were aware of the problem and were making sure none go out like that again.

2012 Update

I bought a set of AA 94mm Type 4, P&L set and the arrows are all pointing in the same direction, so much for QC ?
Reading this post from 2009 just ticks me off some more.
I know, I know, I bought the Chinese junk.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: