Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remote grill setup
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Remote grill setup Reply with quote

Hello all,

Recently installed a new propane tank on the Thingamajigger. In doing so, I rebuilt all the brass connections and ran a new copper line to the stove. I also used the opportunity to remove the Dometic which I had planned to do for some time. It just did not work well and for our family the space is better used for storage.

The query comes from the fact that I had put in a brass 'T' at the tank (mimicing the original setup even though fridge was to be pulled) in plans to add a connection to run an external grill setup. Some things in our diet are best not to be cooked in confined places. Shocked I am immediately thinking kimchi soup and the fried chicken livers with bacon, caramelized onions and balsamic we had last weekend.

Anyone done this sort of remote propane setup, and how did you construct the connection?

I had thought that I would run a flanged copper line from the 'T' to the passenger side of the van and add some sort of quick disconnect beneath the sliding door. Then the thought would be to have a length of propane friendly hose that could quickly connect to said connector and then run to portable grill.

It would need to have a secure mount to be able to withstand the quick connect handling, some protection from the road hazards and be convenient. Maybe better to leave the connection at the tank and get a longer hose?

Just talking through the planning phase I guess, but interested in any ideas the forum may have.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this on my adventurwagen tank - Marshall makes a product called an Extend-a-stay tee that is explicitly designed for the purpose. I then had my local propane shop make me a hose with the needed fittings on each end to connect to the tee and any propane appliance. I use ours for an external barbecue and for firing the burner on our zodi extreme shower set up. Connection point is at the tank, before the regulator. Our hose is 8 feet long and allows us to locate the barbecue or shower burner where ever is convenient and out of the wind. Best of luck!
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Weekender, and I put in a propane tank with two connectors to run hoses to external propane devices. I have no stove or refrigerator inside so I did not need the regulator, since the external devices usually have them built in. In the event I put in a propex heater, I can always add the regulator then.

You can also use this extend-a-stay for your set up.
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=53700

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the Bus Depot kit (http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=53700), but was thinking it through to determine if I was better off mounting from the tank or making a remote connection on the passenger side. Thereby adding 5-6 feet to the range of the grill.

I suppose I probably would not bring the grill past the Trans Awn anyway, so it maybe a moot point.

I am just going to order the kit and keep it simple. Mount at the tank where it is stronger, already protected and less likely to cause me grief.

Will post pictures when I am done.

Thanks
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the extend a stay, but I don't really like it. The fitting is a very small fine thread that is difficult to engage under the van.
I also carry a 10# grill tank since it's easy to get filled and I grill a lot. Unless you are really trying to go light, I would carry a 5# and save the on board for the stove and furnace.
This provides some redundancy and backup too.
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not done this but if I did I would put a cut off valve close to the tank and leave it off until I get ready to use it. This would make it safer as you are traveling.

Would using a flexable hose be better than a hard hose seeing it will be running under the van??

I have a weekender and adding a propane tank is something I might do in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snuf wrote:
I have a Weekender, and I put in a propane tank with two connectors to run hoses to external propane devices. I have no stove or refrigerator inside so I did not need the regulator, since the external devices usually have them built in. In the event I put in a propex heater, I can always add the regulator then.

You can also use this extend-a-stay for your set up.
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=53700

Snuff,

Can you post some pictures? I have a weekender and would like to see how you did that.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
I have the extend a stay, but I don't really like it. The fitting is a very small fine thread that is difficult to engage under the van.
I also carry a 10# grill tank since it's easy to get filled and I grill a lot. Unless you are really trying to go light, I would carry a 5# and save the on board for the stove and furnace.
This provides some redundancy and backup too.

Go light? With a 4 year old? I need all the space I can get for his crap. Trying to use up all the unused space on the van before I start filling interior with redundancies. Would consider a second under body tank in future if we find necessary.

At this point, with the little one we are usually only out for 2-4 days max. After that point, we need a vacation from him.

Thank you for the opinion on the Extend a stay.
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did on my resent project:

I used a cross fitting after the regulator

Then I routed the 3/8 copper tubing under the van behind the fuel tank securing with rubber sleeved clamps to prevent chafing, then used 1/4 brass pipe for the last 6 inches so I would have something solid to clamp to the side rail.

The quick connector outlet supplies "regulated" propane to a 15' rubber flex hose that rated for propane use.

Manipulating the copper tubing can be a PITA... I can make smooth sweeping bends using a spring device designed for that purpose but I have a lot of experince with tubing and propane.

Good Luck! Smile
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, hope this helps, if you do your's.
trihartsfield wrote:

Snuf,

Can you post some pictures? I have a weekender and would like to see how you did that.

Chris

Mounted under sliding door on passenger side of weekender.

Swivel 1" 20 Male throwaway cylinder thread x swivel 1" 20 Female throwaway cylinder thread hoses. Generally, 8' or 12' is enough, but you can screw two length's together if you need to get further away from vehicle.

Used existing bolt mounts that were there for optional seats.(did not want to drill additional holes). Two pieces of 1 1/2" x 1/4" flat bar with slotted holes for underside brace.

First and second bolts are where existing mounts(bolt holes) are. A nut is threaded on second(middle) bolt under flat bar to keep parallel. Third is holding other end of tank to flat bar. Flat bar is stiff enough that that end will not flex.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="turbotransporter"]quote]

Thats pretty much what I had ben thinking. Is the brass connector mounted sturdy enough for the 'blind' connecting associated with being mounted so low?

Is that a valve you have installed prior to the quick connect female fitting?

LP
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite study and doesn't hang down as much as the photo angle makes it appear. It's higher than the bottom of the fuel tank and the Go Westy rock bar...

The valve is part of the coupler and the valve must be closed to connect or disconnect the flex hose. I also like the bright blue protective plug for keeping the socket clean and locating in the dark.

Sturgis brand, model 250, Made in the USA. I'd suggest also buying the Stugis brand male end as all brands are not all compatible.
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snuf wrote:
Chris, hope this helps, if you do your's.
trihartsfield wrote:

Snuf,

Chris

Mounted under sliding door on passenger side of weekender.

Swivel 1" 20 Male throwaway cylinder thread x swivel 1" 20 Female throwaway cylinder thread hoses. Generally, 8' or 12' is enough, but you can screw two length's together if you need to get further away from vehicle.

Used existing bolt mounts that were there for optional seats.(did not want to drill additional holes). Two pieces of 1 1/2" x 1/4" flat bar with slotted holes for underside brace.

First and second bolts are where existing mounts(bolt holes) are. A nut is threaded on second(middle) bolt under flat bar to keep parallel. Third is holding other end of tank to flat bar. Flat bar is stiff enough that that end will not flex.

Thanks
VanShrugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Remote grill setup Reply with quote

snuf wrote:
--------------
Nice paint job on your tank..
Gads, all that new brass looks good.

I gotta ask though. Are my old eyes missing something or is that tank a variation of some sort. The 80% Bleed-Valve is located in a very strange place when compared to other Manchester tanks I've seen.

Don't wanna sound like the propane nanny... Any other eyes see this?

Pz

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: