Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Waterboxer.com - anyone have any experience?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Waterboxer.com - anyone have any experience? Reply with quote

I am thinking of purchasing a 2.1 from Waterboxer.com. Has anyone gone with one of these engines? Are the reputable?

Thanks
71 Squareback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Waterboxer.com - anyone have any experience? Reply with quote

spaine wrote:
Are the reputable?

Thanks

Definitely not. Do a search for Jake Lake/Ken Morgan in the vendor feedback area here. That is who is behind the wasserboxer.com website.

Someone on here had a Jake Lake engine that had a wrist pin circlip fall out and ruin the piston and cylinder set on his engine. He then put a new set of GoWesty pistons and cylinders on the Jake Lake engine and a year or so later the engine threw a rod through the case and ruined everything. That's certainly not the only scary story to be associated with Jake Lake. Do a search.

You've got to be very careful when it comes to rebuilt wasserboxers. Wasserboxer rebuids can go wrong for four reasons:

1. Some worn out parts were re-used.

2. Improperly rebuilt parts were used.

3. Cheap/substandard new parts were used.

4. The engine was assembled carelessly.

Any or all of these will result in a Wasserboxer disaster. Just the parts to properly rebuild a Wasserboxer amount to more than $2000, so I would be very wary of any rebuilds in the $2000-$3000 range.

In fact I would only buy a rebuilt WBX from these three sources:

1. Tencentlife
2. GoWesty
3. Rocky Jennings

There are no bargains to be had in the rebuilt wasserboxer arena. A good engine is expensive. A poor one is cheap.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Waterboxer.com - anyone have any experience? Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
There are no bargains to be had in the rebuilt wasserboxer arena. A good engine is expensive. A poor one is cheap.

David

No truer words than this. Cool
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
spaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both for the quick responses.

What about the one from BusDepot?
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=025100771
71 Squareback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaine wrote:
thank you both for the quick responses.

What about the one from BusDepot?
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=025100771

I don't know who is building those for Bus Depot. I thought it was AVP, but I just checked their website and their factory direct price is quite a bit more than what Bus Depot is charging - so unless they are giving Bus Depot one heck of a good jobber price, they aren't the builders of the Bus Depot engines.

Aside from the skill level of the engine builder, I would be especially cautious with four things on the engine Bus Depot is selling. You should call them and get a clear answer on all of these.

1. They are using rebuilt heads. Generally, rebuilt heads on a Wasserboxer is not a good idea - especially if they are starting with VW castings rather than AMC castings. What brand of heads did they use for cores? VW OEM or AMC?

2. What pistons are they using? If they are AA Performance or Cofap brand, what have they done to correct for the 1mm low deck height of both of these pistons? If they haven't done anything about this the engine will have a low compression ratio and be a complete dog.

3. Have the rods been rebuilt? Did they use the early style rod bolts to avoid failure down the road?

4. Is the crank reground, and were the journal bearing tolerances checked with Plastigauge prior to assembly?

These are all critical details. I think the best way to get an engine where these details were handled correctly is to get an engine from someone who definitely has the experience with this design and understands the critical aspects.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't somebody take over Boston Bob's as well?
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
Didn't somebody take over Boston Bob's as well?

http://www.suburbanengine.com/index.htm
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
ccisco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: engine Reply with quote

If cost is an issue keeping you from getting one of the better engines, in mho you would be better off finding a used one rather than buying one of the cheap 'rebuilts' out there. Although I did use a couple of heads a few years ago from AVP (recon VW's) that worked well for about 35000 miles before I did a subie swap. Some people have not had the same level of luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: