Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shasta Snow Trip Official Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Shasta Snow Trip Official Thread Reply with quote

2018 posts begin here
2017 posts begin here
2016 posts begin here
2015 posts begin here
2014 posts begin here
2013 posts begin here

Let the 2015 Mt. Shasta Snow Trip preparations begin!

The Trip this year kicks off January 29 through February 1st, which still gives you lots of time to mechanically prepare, repair, organize and pack. This thread is for inquires, comments, photos, videos, progress reports or drivel about the trip or it's people.

Drivers Beware

I'm pleased to have you investigating the trip this year, however, you must assume the risks in the adventure before you. While participating, you may crash and kill everyone in your bus.

This adventure is an exclusively pre-1967 VW Bus journey from lower Mendocino County to Mt. Shasta City via up to 450 miles of dirt and paved back roads. The trip's "off the grid" routes have reduced (not eliminated) the probability of a fatal accident involving another car with it's remoteness, however, it brings fast to the forefront numerous other, more exciting ways to die, like: flying off cliffs, hitting trees, live stock, or being run over. If someone does hit another car, it's going to be a head- on; reduce this serious risk by skirting the right ditch or cliff around blind turns. Successful drivers will traverse half a dozen mountain passes, sometimes dozens of streams and miles of fire roads, but only with if they can demonstrate solid driving skill, mechanical ability, and the longevity to keep a brisk pace.

The dangers of the adventure are not just limited to vehicular accidents. Merrily, we all -by willfully coming along- invite injury and death by way of burning, asphyxiation, drowning, animal attack, heart attack and… hypothermia –if not by the elements, by way of our OEM heating -to name a few. Threats to you and your vehicle shall be based on your own judgment and ability to drive, not the passable roads over which you shall willingly travel. Participation in this trip is at your own physical, psychological and mechanical risk.

Background and Concept

The Mount Shasta Snow Trip was initially conceived from the 2000 mid- winter crossing of Mendocino Pass from Willows to Covelo via the very snowed-in Hwy 162 in a stock, 6 volt 1965 VW single cab. Being programmed for survival by -and recently separated from the USMC- had me looking at this trek militarily. Ready for my own personal war, I prepared. Before setting out on this trip, I inspected and practiced installing the old style chains I was to use and had confidence in them. If I broke a chain, I had repair links. If I tossed a set of chain rubbers, I had a second set and trucker's bungee cords. If I punctured a tire, I had plugs and a full air tank. If I blew a tire, I had a spare, and another one just in case. If the six-volt battery went dead, I had an auxiliary twelve-volt and cables to jump with. If I got struck for some reason, I had a fifty-foot cable and a come-along. Additionally, I carried a floor jack, my full tool box, ten gallons of gas, a fire extinguisher, three quarts of 20/50, food for a week, warm clothing including gloves, good rain gear, military mummy bag, two flashlights, propane lantern, comprehensive first aid kit, camera, HAM radio, cellular phone and most importantly, a Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer. If all my contingency planning wasn't enough and the truck got thoroughly stuck, I still had either of two dirt bikes in back I could ride out on.

It turned out to be a war too, an amazing, completely crazy adventure that left me both exhausted and invigorated at the same time. When it was all done, I decided that others should be able to experience something like this; to enjoy these most remote and amazing back roads and the related contingency planning not ordinarily required in normal driving.

Fortunately, you'll not likely experience all the insanity, problems and emotions I did with this "out of the box" type adventure, but that you're here, reading this now, is near-proof that I have succeeded in making a little of this chaos and fun more available to the people. Thank you for showing interest, the weekend's challenges should offer memories -and lessons- for a lifetime.

Stay focused, remain vigilant, obey logic and be good to one another. I really hope you can make it.

Brian

www.shastasnowtrip.com -Richard's SST website: MPG videos, pictures and trip reports
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/shastasnowtrip/ -alternative SST Forum
www.backroadbus.com -Gene's amazing bus adventure website

Last edited by kombisutra on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:50 pm; edited 16 times in total
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will I be the only person driving a '61 sunroof standard?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Dear Sunroof Standard Reply with quote

Thank you for your question. Well, possibly not.

Last edited by kombisutra on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Dear Sunroof Standard Reply with quote

Thank you for your question. Well, possibly not.

Last edited by kombisutra on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: shasta snow trip Reply with quote

i hear that SHSC is thinking hard about going this time so be nice to him. he just needs to get his new motor installed so encourage him to do it soon so he can break it in before the trip
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Dear Tubdub Reply with quote

Wow, SHSC is hardcore! I do know of one eastcoast driver that's planning on making it. Hey, isn't this SHSC dude Tommy Tarka?

B
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: shasta snow trip Reply with quote

from florida now residing in sac. goes by the name mike . you need to encourage him and i think he will go as long as there are no lowered buses around Laughing
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, I know Mr. Turkisbus Personally and will gladly buy him and all the friends he brings good German beer. I know he's nearly made it several times. Hey Mike!.... Free beer!

Brian
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip Questions Answered Here Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
It seems that there are still 7952 split buses in the country driving around that havn't made it to the Shasta Snow Trip yet.

Where did you get your figure at?

I would like to go, but as we all say, we will see. Like Bob said, I need to put that motor in my bus. And I do know that Shasta isn't until February, I will have the motor in way before February. But I have to see about other things. I would rather do that, than say go to a Bug-O-Rama type event.

If I go, I will need a set of beetle 15" wheels with 165s as well.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip Questions Answered Here Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:

why beetle wheels?

do you still need a carb? I have a few 30 pict-1 carbs laying around.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip Questions Answered Here Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
SHSC wrote:

why beetle wheels?

do you still need a carb? I have a few 30 pict-1 carbs laying around.

From what I understand, 205/75/15 tires are too wide for chains. I figure take two beetle wheels, chain them up and put them on the rack and just switch complete rims.

Thanks for the offer on the carb, but I believe I have that squared away.
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Dolvin (in Zapper) and I (in one of my westies) are planning to be there. We will be carabusing from OR. I've been wanting to do this trip since the first time it was out there. Thanks for organizing,
Cris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swervyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm gonna try for next year. man, that looks like a blast
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be there too! Can anyone vouch on the chains not fitting larger tires?

I know I ran chains before, like 6-7 years ago and I think i was running 185's.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian is it Feb 19th? You can count on me and a friend or two so far.

Needed: Bus sunroof header bow, any condition
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip Questions Answered Here Reply with quote

Where did you get your figure at?

I would like to go, but as we all say, we will see. Like Bob said, I need to put that motor in my bus. And I do know that Shasta isn't until February, I will have the motor in way before February. But I have to see about other things. I would rather do that, than say go to a Bug-O-Rama type event.

I can read minds Mike. Good idea mounting the chains on extra wheels, but beat em' hard at home to make sure they don't rub. Try mounting them tightly to deflated tires and then inflate the tires. Chains on springplates will drive anyone insane.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Mike might have the answer you don't want, in that smaller tires will be wise to mount the chains too. Hell, you know how close the tire gets to the spring plate. I'm not saying you can't do it with big ol' meats, but it may prove challenging keeping them from rubbing.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
crofty wrote:

Mike might have the answer you don't want, in that smaller tires will be wise to mount the chains too. Hell, you know how close the tire gets to the spring plate. I'm not saying you can't do it with big ol' meats, but it may prove challenging keeping them from rubbing.

Do you all mount chains every year?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
Brian is it Feb 19th? You can count on me and a friend or two so far.

Needed: Bus sunroof header bow, any condition

It' February 4th-6th. We get to sleep in a little longer on Friday morning as we're leaving at 5am.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
kombisutra wrote:
crofty wrote:

Do you all mount chains every year?

No, we have never NEEDED TO, but for fun, have always put em' on for a little tractor traction on the slushy rail road service roads. Last year, they were almost needed. It's just a matter of time before it really snows on us. Personally, I can't wait. That's what this thing is to me... a preparedness test. Mother nature still ain't tested us much on the trip. Let's all talk shit to her so she get's off her fat-ass and kicks down with some bad attitude...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 453

Jump to: