Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Filling rear luggage to engine bay gap.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Filling rear luggage to engine bay gap. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What can I fill the gap between the rear luggage area and rear window with? It leads right into the engine bay, so I have to fill it with something or go deaf Laughing Originally there was the same foam stuff that was in the C-Pillars, but I want to avoid that this time. What did the old models use back here?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those two pieces already spot welded? I would think a good seam sealer in a tube would do the trick.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spot welds are for the grill connecting to the body. Right there is just a big gap into the engine bay. I can stick my fingers through it.
DHMaher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm attacking this same area right now. Mine has a bunch of insulation stuffed in there now. I think it's the original stuff. Only trouble is it's a sponge if the rear window were to leak which I think it did in the past. Then you're faced with rust which is where I am now. Seam sealer seems like a better option but I'm curious what the experts have to say...
See my ads
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that the photo is upside down and that it depicts the opening just below the window, as seen in this photo? If so, I don't believe that it should go all the way through to the engine bay, unless it's rusted through, in which case it should be repaired. That being said, if your car is just something to have fun with and daily drive, I wouldn't worry about "fixin' it right", BUT if you sell it be sure to come clean about area so the buyer isn't surprised.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think some of your interior components are suppose to tuck in that area. carpet, headliner?
kingd33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,the carpet and headliner does tuck in there(at least on mine).
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, didn't realize the photo was upside-down. I dug the foam out of that area when I removed all the foam in the rear. Mine was spotwelded to the backside of the vent area. I was planning on replacing the open cell foam with some newer, closed cell foam for noise reduction. Then insulation and carpet like before.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a much better picture, zozo. Yeah, sorry for the weird angle, folks.
Here's the thing, I didn't touch anything in that area. I did drill out the spot welds on the rear vent to pull it out and put a new one in, but I didn't touch anything else in the area. The gap is like 7mm, and I don't see how it could be attached to the luggage tray nor do I see any signs of it once being. Those holes you see are the spot welds from attaching a new vent in that area.
I PMed The Ressurection Project on this (love his work!), he said go with some poly foam cut to size, then Dynamat and carpeting over that. Sounds like a plan.
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry, I think I was going crazy, but that back area is sealed Confused I swear I was able to put my finger through but when I went to try I found that it was a sealed section. Crazy. I guess I'll just jam that pplace full of jute and seal it up.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This area is prone to rust through after the rear window leaks and saturates any material that was stuffed into the channel. It usually will rust into the drip tray for the grille. This area needs to be sealed or first time it rains you will be bailing water from the shelf, and floor. That is a complex area where multiple panels are joined together. Need to have it right if you plan on driving it in all weather conditions.

WATER test well by flooding the engine grille and seeing if it leaks inside. Be sure all the drip tray is clear and all drains are.....draining.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
someday_itl_run
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Filling rear luggage to engine bay gap. Reply with quote

My car appears to have no insulation between the luggage tray and the firewall.
A few knocks + the loud engine noise pretty much confirms it.

What are my options?

* Can I spray a bit of spray foam at the top of gap and seal it with a caulking/weather sealer?

Last guy drapedd some carpet foam over the entire luggage area.

I am already halfway through adding killmat to the luggage tray area. I just need to somehow fill that gap while avoiding a rust causing issue in the future.

Thanks all.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Filling rear luggage to engine bay gap. Reply with quote

someday_itl_run wrote:

* Can I spray a bit of spray foam at the top of gap and seal it with a caulking/weather sealer?

Do not use the death foam on a car..

A nice bead of gutter and seam sealer will do the trick to seal it after prepping.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: