Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found: Adventurewagen in Catskills scrapyard
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

Zeitgest:Beck?

Yeah, that was an obscure reference I wasn't sure anyone would get. I've had that song stuck in my head since I first read this thread

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Found: Adventurewagen in Catskills scrapyard Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
RicoS wrote:

Thank God it's not still plying the highways.

I miss the logic of these things. First you take a van that has more aerodynamic drag than a Freightliner Cabover then you add two feet of height to its facade. And, its two feet of bump-ugly fiberglass.

Richie

A typical cabover truck has a drag coefficient of about .80 A Vanagon has a drag coefficient of .44 - which was actually very good for 1980 and better than many passenger cars from that same time period. You should check your facts before posting opinions based on incorrect information.

D

I see you have no taste for poetic license.

Since this is becoming a Dragnet episode (the facts, ma'am, just the facts), please be mindful that aerodynamic drag is a function of the coefficient of aerodynamic drag TIMES the FRONTAL AREA.

Richie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey9 wrote:
Wow - Rico seems to have some pretty strong opinions about something he hasn't driven.

. . . and neither do I have to take a fat girl to the prom to know I don't want to be seen with - strike that - in her.

Richie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi wrote:
What Do I live on some other planet. I live in California some of the most gnarly roads and mountain driving around. I drive all over this state cover every mountain chain and yes they handle just fine. You lack the road experience driving an Adventurewagen,Reimo,Hightop Westfalia Joker to boldly step in here making claims. You have no knowledge of how light these are.Head and side winds are not an issue. You don't like high roofs move on to a different thread Rolling Eyes Simple really~ don't gripe about things you have no knowledge of and you don't offend others and make an ass of your self. I hope someday you get the pleasure to drive one! Then you can let us know how your foot tastes VW Logo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYpaxDdjvhI&feature=related
Enjoy

Applause

I badly miss my AW!!! I would take that roof in a heartbeat!
crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet vans on this thread!! drool...
susie
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and now we're continuing to show you're uncouth by dragging in yet more questionable personal ethics.. Rolling Eyes
nice way to rebutt an arguement #Bad Talk

RicoS wrote:
mikey9 wrote:
Wow - Rico seems to have some pretty strong opinions about something he hasn't driven.

. . . and neither do I have to take a fat girl to the prom to know I don't want to be seen with - strike that - in her.

Richie

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(now I have had a glass of wine....so apologies to any sensitive types)

Am sure I was talking vans not girls - I have different needs from each.

I don't really mind what my van looks like (within reason) as long as it does what I need.

or

My van may be fat (and tall) but I can stand up straight inside her

...sorry - will get my coat
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Found: Adventurewagen in Catskills scrapyard Reply with quote

RicoS wrote:
D Clymer wrote:
RicoS wrote:

I miss the logic of these things. First you take a van that has more aerodynamic drag than a Freightliner Cabover then you add two feet of height to its facade. And, its two feet of bump-ugly fiberglass.

Richie

A typical cabover truck has a drag coefficient of about .80 A Vanagon has a drag coefficient of .44 - which was actually very good for 1980 and better than many passenger cars from that same time period. You should check your facts before posting opinions based on incorrect information.

D

Since this is becoming a Dragnet episode (the facts, ma'am, just the facts), please be mindful that aerodynamic drag is a function of the coefficient of aerodynamic drag TIMES the FRONTAL AREA.

Richie

A little bit of knowledge CAN be a bad thing, it helps to weigh the little bit of knowledge you have with an understanding of the whole field that you're dealing with.

Notice how the high top Dehler in the photo below, very similar to the shape of the adventurewagen, actually has a drag coefficient that is lower than any of the other vans.
And, even though the initial frontal area is raised up more vertically with the A/Wagen, the nose cone at the rear of the A/Wagen is so important to this equation that it may actually make the drag with the A/Wagen even less than the Dehler.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Found: Adventurewagen in Catskills scrapyard Reply with quote

RicoS wrote:
D Clymer wrote:
RicoS wrote:

Richie

D

Richie

True, overall drag is calculated by measuring the vehicle's coefficient of drag and then multiplying by the frontal area. However, that would only help your original statement if the Vanagon had a larger frontal area than a cabover truck. But it has a much smaller frontal area and a coefficient of drag that is nearly half of a cabover truck. So the disparity in overall drag between the two vehicles would be even bigger than by just comparing cd figures.

D
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause Just waiting for Rico to tell us how his foot tastes. I like how he says how ugly they are like the fat girl in high school. Rolling Eyes I guess he is one of those "part time seasonal campers " His ignorance shows this in that he dose not equate the full season use of a high roof. I drive up and camp in the mountains when their is 20ft of snow and -18 below standing up in shorts making breakfast with the heater set on 70 deg. Oh yeah is that real world driving and use for yah seasonal camper Rico? Oh yah they do the same thing all around the world.
1964 Westfalia SO33 pearl white
1965 Westfalia SO42 Velvet green
1986 Syncro Wolfram grey with black int GL
1986 Syncro Doka
1987 Syncro Sevana beige Adventurewagen
1987 syncro Sevana beige GL
1973 Pumpkin orange Thing
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
2007 Audi A4 3.2L quattro
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Kudos! Reply with quote

Looks like the lad is on pace to earning more ignore buttons than me...and that's sayin' somethin'

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Adventurewagens are PHAT Wink

Back that big ole bus up over here Laughing

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RicoS was last seen skulkding back to his cave under the bridge.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah geez.....It is late and I can not even begin to figure out how to clean this mess up......

Soo it is locked until I can get to it.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: