Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back surgery - TruckFridge reward
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Back surgery - TruckFridge reward Reply with quote

I'm starting day 1 of post-op recovery from back surgery. Crying or Very sad My wife is letting me pull the trigger on a TruckFridge as a reward. Very Happy Sympathy points BIG TIME and I need to spend them before they disappear so I will make the order today*****. The lengths I go to for my Westy!

Unfortunately, we need to hold off a little longer on the Propex planned for under the fridge. It doesn't seem like it would be too much of a hassle to pull the fridge out for the Propex install when the time comes. Is this the pain meds talking or is this not a good idea?

And now for the main reason for the post. Sodo has a good walk-thru of mods he made to the TF 49 to make it quieter, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367141.

QUESTIONS:
1. Are others finding this necessary?
2. If so, do these mods remain effective over time?
3. Are these mods not necessary on the Vitrifrigo?
4. Any other differences between the TruckFridge and Vitrifrigo?
5. If you had to do it over again, would you install the TF65 instead?

Thanks!

*****FULL DISCLOSURE: My wife loves our Westy too and is looking forward to the fridge install as much as I am Very Happy Very Happy
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post op experience,been there more than I care to recall. Sound like you have a great wife so your in very capable hands. Good luck with getting better.
As for the propex later that would be fine. Pulling a ac/dc fridge is easy. Nothing like a propane box.
I have had a tf49 and a virtifigo. The Virt did seem to run quieter but I never compared them side by side. I could have just been convincing myself it was better as I spent more money. Honestly I never though the tf49 was ever to noisy. I also don't think my propex is noisy but other people
complain.
I'd hurry up and order that fridge while she is still sympathetic. My wife loves our Westy just as much if not more than me. I usually never get told no when it comes to upgrades and improvements.
In fact she's been researching five speeds lately. Trying to figure out if it's worth the expense. Were going to need a tranny swap this winter as
second has started to whine a bit.
Hope you feel better soon. If it takes back surgery for a fridge,what's a paint job going to take?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be thinking about better seats... unless you can stick your butt into that fridge after a 4 hr drive. Laughing

L3,4,5.. partial lamentecomy on L3, 1986.

Youth is wasted on the young.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillM wrote:

Hope you feel better soon. If it takes back surgery for a fridge,what's a paint job going to take?

A kidney. Thanks for the well wishes.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am curious to hear from anyone who is installed a truck fridge 65. The cost is almost identical to the smaller one, and getting that much additional fridge space for very little additional money is very tempting.

I can see if you camp by yourself or with one other person the smaller fridge would be adequate for most people. However, I usually With a family of four. We currently use a 70 quart cooler, and it's always pretty darn full.

Here's a thread that discusses installing the TF 65, with some nice pictures and description of the cabin modifications that apparently need to be done.

Thanks Howesight! See page 1 of this long thread.

fridge replacement projects - post here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359831

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wyomingriviera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you HEAL before installing that fridge!

I had back surgery in October of '07, then re-injured my back within 2 weeks by waxing my bus...it sucked!
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the TF I'd be worried about, it's really how to power it off grid. I probably spent another $300 on batteries and chargers, etc.

Recover quickly,
mark
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good wishes to you during recovery! Don't move too much around for a while.

I have not experinced any of the noise problems Sodo describes in the thread above. I have a Isotherm unit but is should basically be the same as the Truckfridge or Vitifrigo units. My recommendation, buy it and try it before final installation to see if the noise really bothers you. The Propex is definitely louder when it kicks in but it has never bothered me at night unless I can't really sleep because something else is going on.

Yesterday I finished the installation of the Propex under the Isothem, works great and it was not difficult. I just need to finish some wood and laminate work for the fascia around the fridge and Propex hot air outlet. Will post pics.

I agree with others, start thinking how to cope with the additional power demand from the fridge during extended stays. Big aux battery coupled with solar power.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUESTIONS:
1. Are others finding this necessary?
2. If so, do these mods remain effective over time?
3. Are these mods not necessary on the Vitrifrigo?
4. Any other differences between the TruckFridge and Vitrifrigo?
5. If you had to do it over again, would you install the TF65 instead?

1. Unless you are camping in a very quiet area, you will barely hear the fridge. On my TF65, the most annoying noise is the "plink!" sound the relay makes when the compressor cycles on. Like the fridge at home, it all becomes "normal" after a while and you stop noticing it.

5. I didn't have to do it all over again since I started with the TF65. From the start of my research, I looked at many models, knowing I had no difficulty modifying the cabinet for an "oversize" fridge. I even considered getting a compressor/evaporator kit and making my fridge box myself to maximize the available size.

However, the TF65 was so close to the available space that I went with it. Essentially, you completely disassemble the Westy kitchen cabinet, move the right side panel over by 3/8", cut 3/8' off the left side of the right cabinet face, and thereby widen the space available for the TF65 by 3/4". This also requires slightly relocating the 120V outlet in the cabinet and revising the sliders for the factory Westy drawer also to accomodate the right shift of the face that drawer sits in.

If you can work with a table saw and a router, it's easy. It also allowed me to install a large drawer underneath the fridge. The compressor fridges run on a different principle than the factory absorption fridges and DO NOT require ventilation to flow under or behind the fridge. On the TF65, my mounting puts the condensor and its fan right beside the existing ventilation grate on the left hand side of the Westy cabinet - - almost like it was designed to accept the TF65. On other models, I cannot say where your condensor would sit relative to the grate so YMMV.

One of my main complaints with the Dometic was the incredibly small size, so if I was going to spend the time and money to install a compressor fridge, I wanted the most bang for my buck.

While you have the table saw and router out, you can build your new drawer for under the fridge!
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markz2004 wrote:
It's not the TF I'd be worried about, it's really how to power it off grid. I probably spent another $300 on batteries and chargers, etc.

Recover quickly,
mark

Very good point. It's these things that have kept my mind occupied during the week long pre-op period. Learning new things here on the Samba has been tranquilizing (as in a healthy distraction).

Last edited by singler3360 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!!

You have a very understanding wife, can she give mine some lessons?

Get well soon!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is the fridge will switch from Dc to shore power when the shore power is plugged in correct? So my question is , Does the fridge always run when you're just driving about town? I have another van that I drive so I'm not always driving the westy. Is there a way to " turn it off"?

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:

I can see if you camp by yourself or with one other person the smaller fridge would be adequate for most people. However, I usually With a family of four. We currently use a 70 quart cooler, and it's always pretty darn full.

How much of that 70 quart cooler is filled with ice/frozen water bottles?

For a family of four I would be leaning towards the 65 quart though. FWIW, my wife and I can live indefinitely out of a 40 quart pretty easily, you do have to make more trips to the store though...

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

binger59 wrote:
My understanding is the fridge will switch from Dc to shore power when the shore power is plugged in correct? So my question is , Does the fridge always run when you're just driving about town? I have another van that I drive so I'm not always driving the westy. Is there a way to " turn it off"?

An actual owner may correct me here, but I think I recall reading that you can turn it off at the dial used to adjust the temperature. I hope so. Others have probably installed a master switch or breaker somewhere in addition.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty easy to install a switch just in front of the sink.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: