Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73-74 Turn Switch
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: 73-74 Turn Switch Reply with quote

Replaced the turn switch with a used unit I picked up on Ebay for $10. Seller said it came off a 73 (mine's a 74). First difference I noticed was the switch I removed from my car had only one horn wiper and the replacement had 2 well worn horn wipers. The SWF numbers are different as is the angle and bend of the handle. My original was closer to the steering wheel.

Wiring is the same so I went ahead and installed it. Works fine and now it self-cancels (most of the time). Will replace once I figure out which one to use.

Wondering if anybody has some sort of cross-reference between the SWF # and the VW part number. Below you can see my original switch (on the right) with the Ebay switch (on the left). Note the horn wipers (brushes). My old one has only 1 wiper (brush), the newer one has 2 wipers (brushes).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/b]

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fmartin_gila
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW did make a change in the diameter of the steering shaft and the spline size during the 74 year. Don't know if one change affected or required a change in the switch you are dealing with. Mine is a late 74 and will not accept the earlier steering wheel. Don't remember if they went bigger or smaller as It's been some time since I tried to change the wheel.

Fred
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my SWF parts book the part number are:

'73 HLS 201 030

'74 HLS 201 192

They made the change in 9/73. The parts catalog I have is in German so I hope that I'm seeing it right.

Do the numbers you have match? These are also the the part numbers for the complete switch (wiper and turn signal).

I have serveral switches with vw part numbers but no SWf numbers, so again I can't be sure.
The Vw part number I have for a complete switch for a '74 is:
113 953 503 AM.

The nice thing about the '74 column is that you can easily up grade to an electrical washer pump because the plug has extra holes for the wires. Makes for a very clean upgrade, just need a later year switch. For that matter, you can add intermittent wipers while you are at it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I just noticed that I screwed up big time and may have confused people in the process. I meant to say that I replaced the TURN SWITCH rather than the wiper switch. Corrected my previous comments as well as the title. Sorry for any confusion. Embarassed

The following comments do relate to the WIPER SWITCH though. Embarassed
Al Capulco wrote:
The nice thing about the '74 column is that you can easily up grade to an electrical washer pump because the plug has extra holes for the wires. Makes for a very clean upgrade, just need a later year switch. For that matter, you can add intermittent wipers while you are at it.

I suspected there was such a switch. Just trying to locate the right one to use. I think the one used in a 75 Rabbit is the one I'm looking for. I believe it has an extra set of contacts that can be wired up to use an electrical pump.

I've currently replaced the mechanical air valve with a micro switch and wired in an Audi electrical washer pump. You can see in the picture below I used part of the old valve as a mounting flange to mount the microswitch. Washers operate identically as before by pulling on the stalk. My only concern about this setup is that the microswitch isn't rated to handle that much current. Not sure just how long it will work. So far it's been working fine.

sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 73-74 Turn Switch Reply with quote

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: