Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Top Installation Price
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dislecksea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: New Top Installation Price Reply with quote

I need to put a top on my Thing. Now, mine is just for driving when the weather is nice - not a daily driver - and is not a show car in any way shape or form. Basically, the top is only for times when I drive out in good weather and then the rain moves in while I am out. So I want the top to be functional, but it doesn't need to be fancy or fancy.

Of course, I have seen TTS top, and it is nice. But it looks like I can save $150 - 200 getting it from someone else online. OK - so good so far.

But I have read that it is a PITA to install it on the frame and that I should have someone else do it. I think I saw somewhere that a suggestion was made that you should check with car upholstery shops. So that is what I did. And they quoted me $500 to install. Yep, $500.

So, before I proceed I figured that perhaps I should check in with the community and make sure that this is what it sounds like to me - a completely unrealistic price.

Thanks

Miles
dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine done for $100 at a place that specializes in tops near Philadelphia, PA. Another upholstery place nearby also said around $100. Both included me purchasing a new install kit from TTS. $500 is highway robbery.

1973 Orange VW Thing, "Otto".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone quoting $500 has obviously never installed a Thing top. After all, the only place it permanently attached is at the header. The rest of it just clips on/off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rabid Irish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said. $500 is a complete scam! Do a bit more searching and maybe let that shop know what the going rate seems to be. If they really want the job they will do it for $100. They prob. quoted high because they have never done one before. Litterally it is just a few rivets and a tad of glue to get it installed and thats it. Good luck!
hank0306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

It's not that hard, just watch the Thing shop video...my wife and I installed ours in about 2 hours and we were working slow....if I had to do it again it would be a lot quicker....anyhow for $500, I'd say you are getting screwed.....and not in a good way.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a TTS top for mine. With the price came the DVD that shows how to install the top. It is very simple to do, if you take your time. $ 500 is boarderline rape. $ 100 to $ 200 for a good shop to do the work for you is a decent price.

My frame is so bent, I have not installed it yet. I will be taking three total frames to make a good one before I install the top.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Top Installation Price Reply with quote

dislecksea wrote:
I need to put a top on my Thing. Now, mine is just for driving when the weather is nice - not a daily driver - and is not a show car in any way shape or form. Basically, the top is only for times when I drive out in good weather and then the rain moves in while I am out. So I want the top to be functional, but it doesn't need to be fancy or fancy.

Of course, I have seen TTS top, and it is nice. But it looks like I can save $150 - 200 getting it from someone else online. OK - so good so far.

But I have read that it is a PITA to install it on the frame and that I should have someone else do it. I think I saw somewhere that a suggestion was made that you should check with car upholstery shops. So that is what I did. And they quoted me $500 to install. Yep, $500.

So, before I proceed I figured that perhaps I should check in with the community and make sure that this is what it sounds like to me - a completely unrealistic price.

Thanks i have a factory hard top in perfect condition for $700.oo

Miles
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: New Top Installation Price Reply with quote

mschiffel wrote:
dislecksea wrote:

Thanks i have a factory hard top in perfect condition for $700.oo
BTW, i installed my new soft top and frame by myself. wasn't too hard to do...took about 1.5 hours and looks great! the hard top is too heavy for me to put on and take off alone. that's why i bought a complete soft top and frame. i live by the beach and the thing stays in the garage except when i drive it.
Miles
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother and I both have TTS tops on our Things. I bought mine used and it was not hard at all to put it on. My brother bought his brand new and I did it for him while he was at work. I just needed a hand to put it on the pivot points. After that it was pretty easy. The hardest part was latching the top for the first time. I had to put some force into it. But it sat in the sun afterwards and now fits like it should. I know The Thing Shop top is more expensive, but we are very happy with them. All of the other ones I have seen have wrinkles in the back on the side. The Thing Shops fite tight and they have a bigger rear window.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pbotsonis wrote:
My brother and I both have TTS tops on our Things. I bought mine used and it was not hard at all to put it on. My brother bought his brand new and I did it for him while he was at work. I just needed a hand to put it on the pivot points. After that it was pretty easy. The hardest part was latching the top for the first time. I had to put some force into it. But it sat in the sun afterwards and now fits like it should. I know The Thing Shop top is more expensive, but we are very happy with them. All of the other ones I have seen have wrinkles in the back on the side. The Thing Shops fite tight and they have a bigger rear window.
the thing shop soft top is a quality piece. it was a bit spendy brand new, but i plan on keeping my thing for many years to come. i'm happy with the quality and fit ...you really do get what you pay for !!! Very Happy
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Thing Shop top. Yes, it was a little expensive. Yes I was really nervous when I started putting it on...but if I can do it, anyone can do it. Watch the video if you get one from the Thing Shop. Heck they'd probably send you a video if you called for a catalog. You can get other tops cheaper but I went with what others said on the forum here and took they're advise. It's probably been 5 years ago and the top still is like new.
The orange and brown surry top with the little balls hanging down that I replaced just wasn't cutting it Very Happy
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The money you will save installing it yourself you can put towards a Thing Shop top.

I had a Robbins in the past and the Thing Shop top is much better.

Like what was mentioned above you can ask for an installation DVD and they will send that to you free of charge-make sure to buy new rivits at the very least.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the shop quoted you a price for a Beetle top.

If They don't know the car they looked at your Thing and thought - based on a Beetle, charge the same price.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: